Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirror Material with Roughness

Hi,

i want to make a mirror with the roughness setting of the material + the metallic value, but it don't works right .

With roughness 0 and metallic 1 i am getting a mirror but the mirror only reflects things what the player camera is seeing too.
    If i look with the camera in the mirror from the side, so that i can see the wall in front of the mirror too, then i can see the reflection correctly,
    but if i rotate the camera so that the wall is not visible to the player camera, the reflection disappeared too.

It looks like some occlusions effect, if i move the camera closer to the mirror i can see that the ground behind the camera turns into black and don't
    getting reflected anymore (Like a fog of war in a RTS Game) and if i am very near to the mirror and the player camera can only see the mirror, i see nothing reflecting in the mirror.

Thank you for your help

You can use static lighting and reflection spheres to capture the angles SSR cant. Check out the screenshots here to understand what's going on: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post117216

But you should really look into scene capture 2D actor as a better solution for mirror.
    FREE Lightshow
    FREE VR Drum Kit Project

FREE Color LUT Collection
    FREE Physics Driven Spacecraft Project
    FREE GTA Style Vehicle Interaction
    Dynamic DoF(Depth of Field)
    Camera Crossfade

Comment

Thank you for your help,
      i will take a look into scene capture 2D, i hope i can use the reflection in realtime, static is bad in my case.

Comment

Scene Capture 2D as far as Im aware is flat, and only acts like a tv screen. Not like a mirror, as its not parallax corrected. Currently there is no working solution for a proper / perfect mirror reflection.
        Bacon Man : An Adventure (UE4)

Comment

If you rotate your Scene Capture 2D, you get close to something what looks like a mirror

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	1053565

(Note that the fixed axis depends on the orientation of the mirror)

Comment

Thank you all very much,
            yes the Scene Capture is like a Display , but the rotation works, the effect is good enough.
            Thank you all for your help.
            Last edited by GreenWolf; 08-17-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

On the image Mars007 posted above, would I create that whole blueprint on the camera that pops out when I first create a "Scene Capture 2D"?

and how exactly would I create that "Scene Capture2D1 from persistent Level" node that is to the far left in the image Mars posted?

Comment

I just dropped a SceneCapture2D in the Level and referenced it in the LevelBlueprint.

And i extended the above version by creating a Mirror-Blueprint that conains a flat surface with the mirror material assigned.
                No matter how many mirrors i drop in my level, the SceneCapture will place itself to the nearest mirror and face the player.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	1068096

Comment

The flip is done with UV coordinates on the mesh.

Edit: As a quick solution, flip the coordinates in the Material Graph.
                  Last edited by Mars007; 07-13-2015, 12:08 PM.

Comment

It would be interesting to find a step by step process for creating the blueprint. The mirror is visible in a matinee?

Comment

Just download and migrate the mirror to your project.
                      This project includes two mirrors, to demonstrate endless reflections

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2tqidimj4...rrors.zip?dl=0

Comment

...............Thanks

Comment

Sounds like you should also be able to get a static reflection using a simple sphere reflection capture as long as you rebuild lighting with some indirect lighting.
                          Ryan Brucks
                          Principal Technical Artist, Epic Games

Comment

Thank you.......:d

Comment

Working...
                            X