Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue: Opacity suddenly changing with viewing angle

Hi,

I'm trying to make translucent curtain material, but I keep on having an issue: If I view the material "head-on", it's very translucent (say, 30%), but if I change the viewing angle, at about 50 degrees, the opacity suddenly changes to about 90%. So when you walk around in the level the appearance of the material changes very drasticly depending on what angle you have towards it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Opac_1.png
Views:	1
Size:	735.1 KB
ID:	1227076
    low viewing angle

Name:	Opac_2.png
Size:	695.8 KB
ID:	1227077
    slightly higher viewing angle

Name:	Opac_Mat.png
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1227078
    material

I've stripped down the complexity of the material to just the minimum, but the issue remains. Now I don't know what more I can try..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Warner

I guess that the opacity isn't changing but fresnel is boosting specular intensity at grazing angle. You can test that by plugging 0 to specular slot.

Comment

Specular = 0 does not change the behaviour.

I figure there is some connection with the `Basic Lighting Questions` in my other post: Switching off the Mobile Directional Light makes the issue go away. However, I'm unsure how sunlight could affect this surface: there are many other surfaces in between that should be blocking the sun.

Comment

Transparent objects use less precise shadowing. Maybe this is related to this. You can set size of transluency volume via command line.

Comment

Working...
        X