Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emission Glow Change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Emission Glow Change

    I've noticed that the way emission is handled with materials has changed significantly between 4.14 and 4.16.

    Here is a very simple material in 4.14:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	q2aR2GB.png
Views:	1
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	1226469

    And here is the same exact material in 4.16:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	TLxw9vG.png
Views:	1
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	1226470

    I want to get the behavior that I see in 4.14 to occur in 4.16. How can I go about not getting the emission to turn white for values above 1?

    Basically I was using this to get a very large bloom effect on some materials while still keeping the object itself a very bright red, but now in 4.16, that same object is turning orange-ish white with red values above 1, but a value of 1 has no bloom, and actually the value of 10 in 4.16 has very little bloom compared to 4.14.

    #2
    hey hey! Please search the forums first next time
    Many people share your frustration.

    https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...istic-control/

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by MathNerdProductions View Post
      I want to get the behavior that I see in 4.14 to occur in 4.16. How can I go about not getting the emission to turn white for values above 1?

      Basically I was using this to get a very large bloom effect on some materials while still keeping the object itself a very bright red, but now in 4.16, that same object is turning orange-ish white with red values above 1, but a value of 1 has no bloom, and actually the value of 10 in 4.16 has very little bloom compared to 4.14.
      Have you tried giving a diffuse color AND an emissive colour?

      I'm just thinking this through, surely you want the object to have a color (diffuse) and for it to emit light (emissive), if so - then give it diffuse and emissive values?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
        Have you tried giving a diffuse color AND an emissive colour?

        I'm just thinking this through, surely you want the object to have a color (diffuse) and for it to emit light (emissive), if so - then give it diffuse and emissive values?
        The material is unlit, so it has only emissive

        Comment


          #5
          Need to add a constant, and a multiply in order to get close to the old function.

          Comment


            #6
            I was able to find a workaround here. Adding this to DefaultEngine.ini brings back the old bloom:

            Code:
            [/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
            r.TonemapperFilm=0

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by MathNerdProductions View Post
              I was able to find a workaround here. Adding this to DefaultEngine.ini brings back the old bloom:

              Code:
              [/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
              r.TonemapperFilm=0
              It doesn't unfortunately, we've already discussed at great length that even with that setting the effect isn't reversed.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
                It doesn't unfortunately, we've already discussed at great length that even with that setting the effect isn't reversed.
                I mean it may not be perfect in every case, but I am getting the result I was getting in 4.14 in the example I provided. Albeit I had to crank the brightness 10x.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	7hxFxnn.png
Views:	1
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	1132199

                Comment


                  #9
                  Albeit I had to crank the brightness 10x
                  What is Albeit? Also how did you achieve that effect? I used the tonemapper 0 command but it's nowhere near what you got. My blooms still go to white and the overall bloom size is almost nothing

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Albeit is a word that means "although". It's not a gaming term, just an English word.

                    Setting "r.TonemapperFilm=0" in the DefaultEngine.ini as MathNerdProductions said only seems to work for UE4.15. After 4.15 I think they made the tonemapper change permanent. And as he said, you want to multiply the value to 10 times what it was before so in 4.14 where I used a multiply of 10, I now have to use 100. It's not an exact translation to the same tonemapper as before, but I think it's the best of both worlds as it allows for the extra bloom and color, but it makes the emissive look more realistic.



                    Just add the r.TonemapperFilm=0 to the first line of your project's DefaultEngine.ini

                    Last edited by TorQueMoD; 08-17-2017, 07:20 PM.
                    -TorQueMoD
                    www.torquemod.com

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X