Emission Glow Change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emission Glow Change

I've noticed that the way emission is handled with materials has changed significantly between 4.14 and 4.16.

Here is a very simple material in 4.14:

Click image for larger version

Name:	q2aR2GB.png
Views:	1
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	1226469

And here is the same exact material in 4.16:

Name:	TLxw9vG.png
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	1226470

I want to get the behavior that I see in 4.14 to occur in 4.16. How can I go about not getting the emission to turn white for values above 1?

Basically I was using this to get a very large bloom effect on some materials while still keeping the object itself a very bright red, but now in 4.16, that same object is turning orange-ish white with red values above 1, but a value of 1 has no bloom, and actually the value of 10 in 4.16 has very little bloom compared to 4.14.

hey hey! Please search the forums first next time
    Many people share your frustration.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...istic-control/

Comment

Originally posted by MathNerdProductions View Post
      I want to get the behavior that I see in 4.14 to occur in 4.16. How can I go about not getting the emission to turn white for values above 1?

Basically I was using this to get a very large bloom effect on some materials while still keeping the object itself a very bright red, but now in 4.16, that same object is turning orange-ish white with red values above 1, but a value of 1 has no bloom, and actually the value of 10 in 4.16 has very little bloom compared to 4.14.
      Have you tried giving a diffuse color AND an emissive colour?

I'm just thinking this through, surely you want the object to have a color (diffuse) and for it to emit light (emissive), if so - then give it diffuse and emissive values?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
        Have you tried giving a diffuse color AND an emissive colour?

I'm just thinking this through, surely you want the object to have a color (diffuse) and for it to emit light (emissive), if so - then give it diffuse and emissive values?
        The material is unlit, so it has only emissive

Comment

Need to add a constant, and a multiply in order to get close to the old function.

Comment

I was able to find a workaround here. Adding this to DefaultEngine.ini brings back the old bloom:

Code:
            [/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
            r.TonemapperFilm=0

Comment

Originally posted by MathNerdProductions View Post
              I was able to find a workaround here. Adding this to DefaultEngine.ini brings back the old bloom:

Code:
              [/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
              r.TonemapperFilm=0
              It doesn't unfortunately, we've already discussed at great length that even with that setting the effect isn't reversed.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
                It doesn't unfortunately, we've already discussed at great length that even with that setting the effect isn't reversed.
                I mean it may not be perfect in every case, but I am getting the result I was getting in 4.14 in the example I provided. Albeit I had to crank the brightness 10x.

Name:	7hxFxnn.png
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	1132199

Comment

Albeit I had to crank the brightness 10x
                  What is Albeit? Also how did you achieve that effect? I used the tonemapper 0 command but it's nowhere near what you got. My blooms still go to white and the overall bloom size is almost nothing

Comment

Albeit is a word that means "although". It's not a gaming term, just an English word.

Setting "r.TonemapperFilm=0" in the DefaultEngine.ini as MathNerdProductions said only seems to work for UE4.15. After 4.15 I think they made the tonemapper change permanent. And as he said, you want to multiply the value to 10 times what it was before so in 4.14 where I used a multiply of 10, I now have to use 100. It's not an exact translation to the same tonemapper as before, but I think it's the best of both worlds as it allows for the extra bloom and color, but it makes the emissive look more realistic.

Just add the r.TonemapperFilm=0 to the first line of your project's DefaultEngine.ini

Last edited by TorQueMoD; 08-17-2017, 07:20 PM.
                    -TorQueMoD
                    www.torquemod.com

Comment

Working...
                    X