No announcement yet.

Vray for Unreal Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news for V-Ray studios looking to get into using Unreal! Unfortunately I don't see a lot of use for this for Unreal developers, as you have to convert all your materials to vray parent material (which takes a lot of time) just to get a slightly better looking still image out of it.
    I am very curious though to see where they will take it, and if they will implement light mapping (or a better alternative) which would really take this V-Ray - Unreal crossover to the next level.
    My Porfolio

Comment

It'd be great if it can be used as an alternate lightmap baking renderer, but it would likely be slower than Lightmass, the advantage though would be that the results would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Simeon.Balabanov View Post
        Some of our customers want to render a ray traced version of their UE projects to get better lighting/reflections/refractions.

Best regards,
        Simeon
        I want that too. But I can't convert all my materials to Vray material. So it's useless. Sorry, but this is my feedback. I hope you get your standard material support soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Simeon.Balabanov View Post

The combinations you can create in 3ds Max/Maya/Sketchup are endless, and moreover not optimized for real-time. In addition the shading systems in V-Ray and Unreal are quite different and most of the combinations won't match, while some cannot be recreated.
          That's where all of you come in and tell us what would you like to see in this product.
          Simeon
          -The world is grimy. Something as simple as a 3dsMax composite map conversion into a UE4 blend material should be possible. Not saying it's a breeze but right now I'm missing this option a lot.
          I don't expect procedurals to be ported over into textures but it would be ace if a composite blend of -example- a brick wall with a dirt texture could transfer seamlessly.

-I'd also strongly urge you guys to try your product with some of the ArchInteriors/ArchExteriors scenes made by Evermotion. UE4 Studio(Datasmith) chews through most of these scenes nicely -as in acceptable export and import times- but Vray seems to grind to a absolute crawl the moment you try importing a scene with many lights and slightly more complex geometry than average.

https://www.artstation.com/chesire

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
            It'd be great if it can be used as an alternate lightmap baking renderer, but it would likely be slower than Lightmass, the advantage though would be that the results would be better.
            Vlado, the ceo of chaosgroup said that they're working on it on the official vray for unreal forums.

Comment

Looking to test the beta but my install appears broken. It gives me the errors:

VRayLog: Error: Looking for V-Ray AppSDK in UE4 plugins: C:/Program Files/EpicGames/UE_4.18/Engine/Plugins/VRayForUnreal/ThirdParty/vrayappsdk/bin/
              VRayLog: Error: Error Loading V-Ray SDK: Cannot load V-Ray SDK Library file. [The specified module could not be found.]
              VRayLog: Error: Looking for V-Ray AppSDK in VRAY_FOR_UNREAL_APPSDK: C:\Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/Unreal/bin/
              VRayLog: Error: Error Loading V-Ray SDK: No license for this product error. Render node license error -98.

If we look at the first log path (C:/Program Files/EpicGames/UE_4.18/Engine/Plugins/VRayForUnreal/ThirdParty/vrayappsdk/bin/), The beta does not create such folder. Instead, it creates "C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.18\Engine\Plugins\VRayForUnreal\Binaries\Win64"

Comment

Using V-Ray plugin, I can render photos in unreal editor. Is it possible to render via blueprint or any command?

Comment

This sounds interesting. For me the biggest issue including datasmith is that it doesn't seem an easy process to render or screen grab from what a particular camera sees without some form of blueprint. I wish this could be simplified then I would be using it more in my production workflow.

Currently there seems to be a lot of hacks to achieve this but no definitive answer. Until then my stills will still be rendered out of max where I can lock my cameras down.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjams17 View Post
                    This sounds interesting. For me the biggest issue including datasmith is that it doesn't seem an easy process to render or screen grab from what a particular camera sees without some form of blueprint. I wish this could be simplified then I would be using it more in my production workflow.

Currently there seems to be a lot of hacks to achieve this but no definitive answer. Until then my stills will still be rendered out of max where I can lock my cameras down.
                    You can right click on any camera and select pilot which will look through the camera, with that you can lock the camera. Also you can create bookmarks by hitting ctl and any number key, then in the viewport select the arrow and chose high res screenshot.

Hope those help
                    Dustin Tinkler

https://www.artstation.com/dustomatic

Comment

Does anybody know why sometimes The plugin stops working for no apparent reason? I start the project, It works fine, I create the scene(It's a big scene) but I try the plugin as I'm building it up, but then at one point the I try it and the render output is all black,( Since the start I did not change any of the settings). then no matter how long I leave it it's black and doesn't do anything.
                      Please help!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X