Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heightfield GI broken?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Heightfield GI broken?

    Can someone confirm whether heightfield GI is working or not in 4.15 and 4.16? I tried everything but it doesn't seem to generate the heightfield texture and the visualize option for it is gone too.
    Last edited by The_Distiller; 05-16-2017, 06:26 PM.
    ArtStation

    #2
    Did a test with an older version, same settings and it's working. So for some reason heightfield GI has been deactivated in current versions.

    ArtStation

    Comment


      #3
      well that's something!
      last I tried to enable DFGI (in 4.14 or 4.15, can't remember) it just made unreal crash
      Follow me on Twitter!
      Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
      Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

      Comment


        #4
        So nobody knows anything about the state of heightfield gi? 4.16.3 will just crash if I try to add DistanceFieldGI = 1 to config.

        Comment


          #5
          It still be the same with the 4.17-> Crash

          Comment


            #6
            Hmh, looks like an abandoned feature.

            Comment


              #7
              Just tried it with 4.19 and it's still broken.

              @DanielW: Can you shed some light on this issue? Why it isn't working and if it will be fixed in the future?
              ArtStation

              Comment


                #8
                Can confirm this is an issue. My project has landscape GI on along with distance fields and it's still not working. What?!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Can confirm same issue in 4.18.3. Please support this, I really want it for my current project

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by vbs View Post
                    Can confirm same issue in 4.18.3. Please support this, I really want it for my current project
                    It's usually not a good idea to make a project around a half-implemented/experimental feature...

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by IronicParadox View Post

                      It's usually not a good idea to make a project around a half-implemented/experimental feature...
                      You don't always have a choice. The foliage tools added in 4.8 (along with heightfield GI) have been considered experimental for the better part of 3 years now. "Experimental" is sometimes just a fact of life with this engine, and if you need a feature you need to just go for it anyway.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Gravity is still a theory, but we don't all expect to float off into space anytime soon! Just because a feature is listed as "Experimental" doesn't mean it will be ignored completely.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Zero-Night View Post

                          You don't always have a choice. The foliage tools added in 4.8 (along with heightfield GI) have been considered experimental for the better part of 3 years now. "Experimental" is sometimes just a fact of life with this engine, and if you need a feature you need to just go for it anyway.
                          Exactly right!
                          ArtStation

                          Comment


                            #14
                            @Epic: Any update on this issue?
                            ArtStation

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Would love to hear from Epic about this.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X