This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Yea, my volumetric fog will never look as good as the first image, I can't use witchcraft, no matter what I do it will always look like garbage.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi I cant seem to render Volumetric fog in a short animation when using Sequencer

Please see attached pics.

First Pic is what I want to render. The second pic shows the rendered animation from Sequencer, no volumetric fog renders any help would be great.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DanielW View Post
    The volume textures used by Volumetric Fog are relatively low resolution and aligned to the camera frustum. Volumetric Fog uses a heavy temporal reprojection filter with a different sub-voxel jitter each frame to smooth out the aliasing. As a side effect, fast changing lights like flashlights and muzzle flashes leave lighting trails. Disable volumetric fog contribution on these lights with 'Volumetric Scattering Intensity' set to 0.
    Does this temporal filter take into account screen resolution changes from dynamic resolution? I seem to be seeing artifacts from that that I don't notice when dynres is off, but am not completely sure.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If the LPV could be detached from the camera, and its size changed, it would be useful.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Pixelpirates View Post
    Thanks for volumetric fog, it's great. One thing I miss though is the ability to check with lighting channels affect the fog.
    In a project I'm working I'm using a separate lighting channel for a couple of lights that follow and light the main character but nothing else, and as it is now those lights light the fog as well as the character.
    Is this feature planned ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Some comments :
    " Your getting there, but LPV has been abandoned for over a year now, give or take a few months " https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...ytracing-noise

" Are you both utilizing Light Propagation Volume at all? It has problems with self-shadowing and back in version 4.20 cannot be confused with Lightmass GI because it is somehow not compatible by being dynamic GI "
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...n-meshes/page2

Here prob the best evidence https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...consoles/page2 , " Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
    I think LPV was abandoned because they want to do something better, though I guess by now they could have gotten LPV to a usable state until they could get a good dynamic GI system in.
    This and probabaly lack of company push in this direction (noone is interested and they don't need dynamic GI for their games). "

So ya, I'm yanking it too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by inedible.red View Post

The whole scene is dynamic so I don't need a light propagation volume... I think? I have a few other things that got push forward from my backlog but I will try this configuration on a clean project as soon as possible and submit a bug report if necessary
    Dont use lpv, it has been dead for i think over a year.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The LPV is a dynamic lighting feature. It basically enhances dynamic GI (global illumination), according to the doc page on it, at least.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by preston42382 View Post
    "All my lights are movable. Selecting makes visible the character "selection ring" (golden circles) that's using the lighting channel 1. I can replicate the problem by just adding a mesh in-game and switching the lighting channel 1 on and off."

I have encountered a similar issue where viewing the scene from above it, or at a steep angle to it results in the lighting going super bright, at a gradual rate rather than instantaneously. I'm wondering if it has something to do with lighting channel 1. Does it need a specific setup before using it? Why would adding a mesh or using channel 1 or not cause the problem or not, respectively. Or is it another one of those 'defies simple logic' problems that UE4 is infamous for.

Is the scene using an LPV (light propagation volume)?
    The whole scene is dynamic so I don't need a light propagation volume... I think? I have a few other things that got push forward from my backlog but I will try this configuration on a clean project as soon as possible and submit a bug report if necessary

Leave a comment:

• replied
    "All my lights are movable. Selecting makes visible the character "selection ring" (golden circles) that's using the lighting channel 1. I can replicate the problem by just adding a mesh in-game and switching the lighting channel 1 on and off."

I have encountered a similar issue where viewing the scene from above it, or at a steep angle to it results in the lighting going super bright, at a gradual rate rather than instantaneously. I'm wondering if it has something to do with lighting channel 1. Does it need a specific setup before using it? Why would adding a mesh or using channel 1 or not cause the problem or not, respectively. Or is it another one of those 'defies simple logic' problems that UE4 is infamous for.

Is the scene using an LPV (light propagation volume)?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by preston42382 View Post
    inedible.red

Are you using static, stationary, or movable skylight or directional light (the light that's lighting the whole scene)? It appears that using the selection box function, whether to select a character or simply starting to use it, triggers the problem. It could be something in the volumetric fog material's settings, such as domain or if it's not set to per-pixel (default is per-vertex). Post this in AnswerHub and see if you get more knowledgeable replies? In here it's likely to get ignored.
    All my lights are movable. Selecting makes visible the character "selection ring" (golden circles) that's using the lighting channel 1. I can replicate the problem by just adding a mesh in-game and switching the lighting channel 1 on and off.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    inedible.red

Are you using static, stationary, or movable skylight or directional light (the light that's lighting the whole scene)? It appears that using the selection box function, whether to select a character or simply starting to use it, triggers the problem. It could be something in the volumetric fog material's settings, such as domain or if it's not set to per-pixel (default is per-vertex). Post this in AnswerHub and see if you get more knowledgeable replies? In here it's likely to get ignored.
    Last edited by presto423; 01-10-2020, 02:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is it normal for the fog to react this way for objects using any lighting channel combination other than straight Channel 0?
    https://i.imgur.com/ZTe0GR0.mp4

This was working in 4.22
    Last edited by inedible.red; 01-07-2020, 11:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Pixelpirates View Post
    Thanks for volumetric fog, it's great. One thing I miss though is the ability to check with lighting channels affect the fog.
    In a project I'm working I'm using a separate lighting channel for a couple of lights that follow and light the main character but nothing else, and as it is now those lights light the fog as well as the character.
    Did you ever manage to solve this? I'm getting a similar error when using objects lighted by channels different than 0 - https://youtu.be/-1FZkZJtIvE

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have a project with Niagara plugin enabled on UE4.22.3 and I am following this tutorial to build a fog particle system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title However, I first tried to create the material and apply it to a Niagara particle system, I've gotten some errors, so I deleted that particle system from content and project and went back to implementing exactly how it's done in video with a regular cascade particle system. However, my material is getting errors related to Niagara still, and it's not rendering properly. I've attached a screenshot of the material function and errors. Anything I'm doing wrong? maybe I should disable Niagara? I'm using it with another particle system that works fine, so I'd rather not...

UPDATE: I upgraded the project to 4.231 and I get the error:

[SM5] /Engine/Private/VolumetricFogVoxelization.usf(61,33-110): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'VertexFactoryGetTranslatedPrimitiveVolumeBounds'

UPDATE 2: I disabled the Niagara plugin and the volumetric material now works... so It's not possible to use volumetric materials with Niagara? Or should I do something different?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191202-21_08_54TP_Demo--Unreal-Editor.jpg Views:	0 Size:	580.4 KB ID:	1693593
    Last edited by vbs; 12-03-2019, 03:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X