X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by II_ADN_II View Post

The problem is that you can use the volumetric fog to simulate sun rays trough the clouds. It works perfectly but only in really small scales. There isnt a reason why this shoudnt work on a real scale since the resolution of the shadows and the volumetric fog still the same. Also the draw distance of 100,000,000 is just as an example in an empty scene, unfortunately it breaks much earlier in a standard game scene with lots of assets.
    Any workarround?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello,

I just start on ue4 and I'm working on my first project, so i want to apply a local volumetric fog, and I already follow the instructions to do it with the ue4.21 version and it worked very well, so now I wanna do this again in the ue4.23 and it doesn't, I don't understand why.

I made the material, I customize it a little, after that I run it through a particle, set the light and the exponentiel fog and it worked. I do all this once again, I read all the volumetric fog ue4 docs, and idon't what I forget.

So, it will be welcome if someone can help me to solve this problem.

My computer run with
    -i7 4770
    -16GbRAM
    -nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 OC

Thanks for your help!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I didnĀ“t find any discussion about theatrical lighting, sorry if there is some.

But my question is:
    Is there anyway to make volumetric lights with gobos like in this picture?
    I already try in lightfunction material and it works in objects and surface. but not in the air.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gobo1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	1653318

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There seems to be a bug when using world position in a light function in combination with volumetric fog. Notice in the attached images the incorrect masking of the volumetrics. The expected result would be that only the volumetrics below the cube surface are darkened similar to the sides of the cube. The issue is also camera relative, so this masking flies around the scene depending on the camera angle making this combination of features unusable.

To make matters worse there doesn't seem to be a way of disabling the light function just for the volume fog effect. In my usecase (and I imagine for others as well) I wouldn't need that anyway so it seem like a useful optimization to offer that option.

Edit: I submitted a bug report with an example project here on answerhub.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Arnage; 08-15-2019, 06:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Tisanim View Post
    When using console coomands

r.VolumetricFog.GridPixelSize

r.VolumetricFog.GridSizeZ

Are they saved with the level?
    Also what are the default values of the commands mentioned above?

Thanks!
    The values are not saved in the level. You have two choices:
    - use an execute command inside level blueprint and set them
    - set the variables inside the project's engine.ini

The default values are the one you receive as return once you type at the console the variable names without specifying a value to change them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When using console coomands

r.VolumetricFog.GridPixelSize

r.VolumetricFog.GridSizeZ

Are they saved with the level?
    Also what are the default values of the commands mentioned above?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    OK, thanks, i will do it...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Citymmer View Post
    Volumetric fog and DOF seam to create artefacts with translucent material..The Material: Details panel > Translucency unclick Enable Separate Translucency.doesn't work well, even for a volumetric fog (with transclucent material) ...Where we can find very special but interesting artefacts here: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Qoq_kB9jk)
    It is very important if you could create a small repro project (basically stripping most of the content and using replacements props) and send it using the Bug Submission Form using this link

That is the better way to make the developers aware of the issue.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Volumetric fog and DOF seam to create artefacts with translucent material..The Material: Details panel > Translucency unclick Enable Separate Translucency.doesn't work well, even for a volumetric fog (with transclucent material) ...Where we can find very special but interesting artefacts here: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Qoq_kB9jk)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by rosegoldslugs View Post
    Even if that was supported, you wouldn't really get much back. You'd be stretching the volume texture reeeaaallly far and would lose any/all definition from shadow casters. Only use case of volumetric draw distance of 100,000,000 that I can think of is a planetary-scale game, which UE4 doesn't really support out of the box anyway so you'd likely be looking at a custom solution.
    The problem is that you can use the volumetric fog to simulate sun rays trough the clouds. It works perfectly but only in really small scales. There isnt a reason why this shoudnt work on a real scale since the resolution of the shadows and the volumetric fog still the same. Also the draw distance of 100,000,000 is just as an example in an empty scene, unfortunately it breaks much earlier in a standard game scene with lots of assets.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Even if that was supported, you wouldn't really get much back. You'd be stretching the volume texture reeeaaallly far and would lose any/all definition from shadow casters. Only use case of volumetric draw distance of 100,000,000 that I can think of is a planetary-scale game, which UE4 doesn't really support out of the box anyway so you'd likely be looking at a custom solution.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by II_ADN_II View Post
    Hi, dont know if it was said before, but increasing fog distance crash the volumetric fog when the camera moves and the screen end up completely black. this doesnt happen in small scales. Shouldnt the fog be able to work as expected despite the scale? Is this a bug? Any solutions?

PD: is there any plan to make the light functions work with the volumetric fog?
    PD2: It actually work with directional, not with point or other type, have to use the texCoord instead WorldPosition to map the function
    Bumping for help

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Bump, any workaround or solution?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, dont know if it was said before, but increasing fog distance crash the volumetric fog when the camera moves and the screen end up completely black. this doesnt happen in small scales. Shouldnt the fog be able to work as expected despite the scale? Is this a bug? Any solutions?

PD: is there any plan to make the light functions work with the volumetric fog?
    PD2: It actually work with directional, not with point or other type, have to use the texCoord instead WorldPosition to map the function
    Attached Files
    Last edited by II_ADN_II; 06-05-2019, 02:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    misterbil augminded I had this problem too. Turns out vol. fog has issues with instanced stereo rendering; I turned that off and how I have proper fog in my VR project.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X