Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volumetric Fog feedback thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Hi! It seems that movable actors do not affect volumetric shadows casted by stationary lights. Look at the pictures below. The big cube to the left and dummy are movable actors. When the spotlight has movable mobility, any actor affects a volumetric shadow. When I set mobility of lightsource to stationary, after rebuilding the light, volumetric shadows are not affected by movable actors. Is it correct behavior?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00003.png
Views:	1
Size:	682.0 KB
ID:	1127125
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00002.png
Views:	1
Size:	659.2 KB
ID:	1127126

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by Victor Bayrachny View Post
      Hi! It seems that movable actors do not affect volumetric shadows casted by stationary lights. Look at the pictures below. The big cube to the left and dummy are movable actors. When the spotlight has movable mobility, any actor affects a volumetric shadow. When I set mobility of lightsource to stationary, after rebuilding the light, volumetric shadows are not affected by movable actors. Is it correct behavior?
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]139227[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]139228[/ATTACH]
      Hi.. as far as in know, no rebuilding light is supported by volumetric fog. Is is something like realtime behavior, what is good in my opinion. ;-)

      Martin.
      KreatiVR:Interactive architecture visualization in 360° VR

      Follow me on:

      youtube:
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi4...0nondmottOLAuw
      linkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/martin-kogoy-99401a140/

      Comment


        #63
        Is fog ignored by reflection capture actors? It seems like that screen space reflections capture the fog, but the reflection captures do not.

        It looks odd in my night scene because of the inconsistency.

        Comment


          #64


          Here's that inconsistency of SSR versus reflection capture actors.

          Edit: Planar reflections don't capture fog either.
          Last edited by ZacD; 05-02-2017, 03:21 AM.

          Comment


            #65
            I'm no expert, but I think volumetric fog is being redrawn every frame and has no physical "presence" in the scene, and can't be captured. Not really sure how else to put it.

            Comment


              #66
              I'd understand that limitation for planar reflections, but a reflection capture actor that's essentially a baked cubemap of a point, the fog should be considered.

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by ZacD View Post
                I'd understand that limitation for planar reflections, but a reflection capture actor that's essentially a baked cubemap of a point, the fog should be considered.
                - SSR is supported
                - Planar Reflections are also supported (You can disable Exponential Height Fog contribution to them by disabling "Fog" in the General Show Flags)
                - Reflection Captures (Box/Sphere) are supported. - To capture Volumetric Fog the light needs to be set to Stationary and built. You can see it captured in my simple example below. Settings have been adjusted to make the light shafts more promient. Also notice that the Skeletal Mesh is not captured in the RC because it's dynamic and cannot be.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	VF_RC.png
Views:	1
Size:	481.9 KB
ID:	1127175
                Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
                UE4 Documentation

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by SteveElbows View Post
                  I note a recent addition to the 4.16 github branch:

                  [Copy] Added VolumetricFogEmissive to ExponentialHeightFogComponent
                  * Volumetric fog does not yet support precomputed lighting, so this is the only way to get an ambient lighting term
                  #rb none
                  #jira UE-43984

                  [CL 3414761 by Daniel Wright in 4.16 branch]
                  Looks like this made it into Preview 2 of 4.16

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by Tim Hobson View Post
                    - Reflection Captures (Box/Sphere) are supported. - To capture Volumetric Fog the light needs to be set to Stationary and built.
                    What if we're doing dynamic lighting?
                    What should we do?
                    Last edited by Maximum-Dev; 05-02-2017, 12:32 PM.
                    Artstation
                    Join the support channel
                    Gumroad Store

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
                      What if we're doing dynamic lighting?
                      What should we do?
                      Since the light could move and change it wouldn't be part of the reflection capture which is prerendered.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                        Since the light could move and change it wouldn't be part of the reflection capture which is prerendered.
                        Most lights in game don't move. Why should the overall look suffer from that? It'd make more sense to manually select which lights should be captured, or which ones not.
                        Artstation
                        Join the support channel
                        Gumroad Store

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Most of the time you're using dynamic lights so that you can move the light, otherwise you should use a stationary light.

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                            Most of the time you're using dynamic lights so that you can move the light, otherwise you should use a stationary light.
                            No. Some projects, (including our current project) just don't use static lighting regardless of whether the light moves or not. It should ultimately be artist's decision to exclude a light from being captured. Excluding the entire lights from being captured only hurts everyone who doesn't bake.
                            Artstation
                            Join the support channel
                            Gumroad Store

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Lets say I use movable lights to get good shadows. This now means I can't have reflection captures? Static/stationary/movable in terms of lights confuse me ...

                              We really need feature toggles instead of tying all these features to the mobility setting.

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Originally posted by hallatore View Post
                                Lets say I use movable lights to get good shadows. This now means I can't have reflection captures? Static/stationary/movable in terms of lights confuse me ...

                                We really need feature toggles instead of tying all these features to the mobility setting.
                                As Tim says, only when your light is Stationary and is baked the reflection capture picks it up. Which is odd.
                                I can see why Movable lights aren't captured. Because if they are captured and then the light moves, the reflection capture won't update. But that's where you can let the artist to decide which lights shouldn't be captured since not everyone bakes lighting and not every movable light is going to be moved.
                                Artstation
                                Join the support channel
                                Gumroad Store

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X