Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, and keep it coming.

I'm going to be on vacation next week so the replies may be a bit late.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
      Cascaded shadowmaps are supported and generally much higher quality than static shadowing from a Stationary directional light. Can you setup in a small test scene and isolate what the difference is?
      It seems the meshes are ignored. The fog is everywhere and if I set scatter distribution to 1.0 the light shines straight through the mesh. I'l try to isolate why it's happening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	artifact1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1127060

Think I found something. Cascade Shadow Maps / Num Dynamic Shadow Cascades was set to 10. If you put 6 or higher the it blends outward.
      Last edited by hallatore; 04-28-2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, and keep it coming.
        I also found a bug where Volumetric Scatter Intensity (on the directional light) seems to affect the intensity of my skylight. It's like they are multiplied together.

Here is the Volumetric Scatter Intensity on my direct light turned to 1.0 and 10.0. Settings are untouched on the skylight. (Note that you have to "refresh" your skylight by changing the intensity or clicking something on/off to produce the error)

Name:	artifact_1.jpg
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	1127061

Name:	artifact_2.jpg
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	1127062
        Last edited by hallatore; 04-28-2017, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I managed to get quite good results by leaving the Volumetric Scatter Intensity to 1.0 and just increasing the Fog Density instead.

Name:	artifact_3.jpg
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	1127063

Comment

Why do you have to reduce overall shadow quality, or the number of cascades?
            Maybe I'm just misunderstanding it, but the patch notes stated, "The GPU cost of Volumetric Fog is primarily controlled by the volume texture resolution, which is set from the Engine Shadow Scalability level. Use 'profilegpu' to inspect this cost."

I took that to mean that in order to reduce the cost of the volumetric fog, reducing shadow quality was the way to do it. I did that and reducing the overall scene shadow quality definitely made the biggest impact of the volumetric fog. I was seeing 0.5ms for the "light scattering 151x108x128" on Epic, and .10ms with "76x54x64" on High shadow settings. Am I mixing two different things up then? It seemed at the current moment that the only way to reduce the cost was to reduce the shadow quality globally.
            Lighting Artist II @ Crystal Dynamics
            ArtStation
            Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by leleuxart View Post
              Maybe I'm just misunderstanding it, but the patch notes stated, "The GPU cost of Volumetric Fog is primarily controlled by the volume texture resolution, which is set from the Engine Shadow Scalability level. Use 'profilegpu' to inspect this cost."

I took that to mean that in order to reduce the cost of the volumetric fog, reducing shadow quality was the way to do it. I did that and reducing the overall scene shadow quality definitely made the biggest impact of the volumetric fog. I was seeing 0.5ms for the "light scattering 151x108x128" on Epic, and .10ms with "76x54x64" on High shadow settings. Am I mixing two different things up then? It seemed at the current moment that the only way to reduce the cost was to reduce the shadow quality globally.
              Scalability settings are basically just presets containing different console variable values. The Shadow Scalability setting affects two CVars for volumetric fog (aside from r.VolumetricFog, which enables/disables the effect entirely):

r.VolumetricFog.GridPixelSize (Lower is higher quality, but more expensive)
              r.VolumetricFog.GridSizeZ (Higher is better quality, but more expensive)

Comment

Originally posted by hallatore View Post
                I also found a bug where Volumetric Scatter Intensity (on the directional light) seems to affect the intensity of my skylight. It's like they are multiplied together.

Here is the Volumetric Scatter Intensity on my direct light turned to 1.0 and 10.0. Settings are untouched on the skylight. (Note that you have to "refresh" your skylight by changing the intensity or clicking something on/off to produce the error)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138989[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138990[/ATTACH]
                The Skylight captures the Skybox once you change settings of the Skylight. It does not detect changes of the distance when changing other things like the direcitonal light or the fog.
                You have to recapture the Scene again once you change the fog or light.

Comment

Out of curiosity, has anyone done a direct comparison with NVIDIA's volumetric lighting solution in UE4 and the new built-in volumetrics features? Based on what I've seen so far, it seems it's more of lower-fidelity approach (which likely makes it faster) without any raleigh scattering.

For performance comparison, NV's solution at its absolute highest quality settings on a Geforce 980M GTX ends up taking ~3ms in-editor in total (screens of that setup below):

Trent Polack (@mittense)
                  Personal Site | Development Blog | Joy Machine

Comment

Originally posted by brokenscouter View Post
                    Scalability settings are basically just presets containing different console variable values. The Shadow Scalability setting affects two CVars for volumetric fog (aside from r.VolumetricFog, which enables/disables the effect entirely):

r.VolumetricFog.GridPixelSize (Lower is higher quality, but more expensive)
                    r.VolumetricFog.GridSizeZ (Higher is better quality, but more expensive)
                    Ah okay, thanks for the clarification with the two cvars. I hadn't see anything on the fog cvars being grouped with the shadows, thus my confusion.
                    Lighting Artist II @ Crystal Dynamics
                    ArtStation
                    Twitter

Comment

Playing around and if you set r.VolumetricFog.GridPixelSize 0 it crash the engine
                      Join the Unreal Engine community on Reddit! | Twitter: @ZioYuri78

Comment

Fog Density, Fog Height Falloff and Fog Max Opacity effect the volumetric fog. The rest do not, and it's been convenient for me to minimize the other effects (height fog, inscattering cubemap, directional inscattering) when tweaking volumetric fog.

"Scattering Distribution" wasn't what I expected it to be. It biases the scattering towards or away from the light... At 0.9, artifacts are quite visible when looking at the directional light. At -0.9 a similar effect occurs in the opposite direction (retroreflective fluids, anyone?). More control over this distribution (e.g. broadening/tightening) would be fantastic.

Extinction Scale, Fog Density and the brightness of the Albedo color all contribute to the same overall strength of the fog. Albedo/scattering color caps each channel at 1, so I suppose Extinction Scale is intended to scale the color strength, though this also tends to bathe the scene unattractively, so tweaking with Fog Density is preferable, as [MENTION=19736]Hal[/MENTION]latore concluded.

Comment

So far the volumetric fog is proving to be everything I hoped and dreamed. And, while I'm certainly not opposed to exposing some extra parameters to allow for more stylized effects, I think the physical accuracy is a huge asset, since it saves time in trying to figure out the "correct" settings. I'd hope that anything non-physical that gets added would at least be indicated as such. I feel the same way about the new tonemapper, too.

Thanks for the bug report, I'll add that to my list to fix. High res screenshot has some unique requirements.
                          Honestly I'm not sure that would even be worth it. As far as I can tell, the high resolution screenshot functionality fails for every feature that relies on accumulating image data from previous frames. Temporal AA doesn't seem to work at all (which I guess isn't a huge problem, since you can always just take a larger screenshot to compensate), and screen space reflections seem completely broken as well, which is definitely a huge problem.

Comment

I been testing some stuff to try and do nebulas, have a few questions:

Name:	170430_172200_fogQuestion.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1127101

So I have found that I can put the volume material straight on a mesh (which is awesome), you can see the test sphere and test cylinder above.

I've also found that I can do pitch black opaque fog on a particle system (a beam in the example above)

For some weird reason though, the black fog material will work on particle systems, but won't work on meshes.

Also, when I go in close to the meshes, there's a weird artifact in the fog density:

Name:	170430_172300_fogQuestion.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1127102

Any suggestions?

Cos if I can get occluding fog going on a mesh I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do some pretty spectacular nebulas (combining the fog and custom mesh generation).

Comment

Just for a bit of context, here's a nice nebula mesh I've made without the new fog occluding the background:

Name:	170421_003700_moreNebulaAttempt.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1127103

And here it is positioned in front of the black fog (which occludes bg stars) on the particle beam in the post above:

Name:	170429_103200_nebula.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1127104

So, much better.

I don't want to have to scatter particle systems everywhere though, so if there was a way to do fully opaque fog from a mesh that would be awesome...
                              Last edited by ioFlow Studios; 04-30-2017, 03:39 AM.

Comment

I note a recent addition to the 4.16 github branch:

[Copy] Added VolumetricFogEmissive to ExponentialHeightFogComponent
                                * Volumetric fog does not yet support precomputed lighting, so this is the only way to get an ambient lighting term
                                #rb none
                                #jira UE-43984

[CL 3414761 by Daniel Wright in 4.16 branch]

I am going to try this as soon as it has compiled on my machine.
                                Last edited by SteveElbows; 04-30-2017, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X