Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh and hey, seeing how you can emit particles from the surface of skinned meshes, I guess that means we can do fog monsters now too eh?

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      That's not realistic though, since there has to be particles for the light to bounce off from, it can't only be where the light is. You might want to check and make sure that the skylight doesn't have volumetric lighting turned on though.
      That's the point. It's one of those effects which should not be realistic but cool and epic.

I mean. It can stay realistic, but there should be option to override it, to get just light shafts with minimum amount of fog. ( I guess that is what quite a bit of people expect from it).
      Last edited by iniside; 04-27-2017, 04:07 AM.
      https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

I'm not clearly understand how it works )
        It adds light color*intensity to existing fog density?
        and in shadowed area it uses existing fog density or make some subtraction from it?
        Rocketeer

my portfolio
        my youtube

Camera Volumes System
        Procedurally Instanced Meshes
        Simple Portals
        Water Flow For UDK
        Setup Swarm

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]138616[/ATTACH]
          I feel we are missing some artistic control over the current lighting. I want the rays that are inside the arch, but I don't want the rest of the scene to be so foggy.
          Or to put it differently. I want to have a visual ray/border between light and dark area's, but without so much fog in general. (If that makes any sense)

I tried playing around with the settings. But I didn't get any good results without introducing a ton of "dust" to the scene.

Comment

It's because it like in real world.
            There is no lightshafts if nothing reflects light inside of it.

But you are right, this is good resquest to make shafts brighter without much of fog.
            Rocketeer

my portfolio
            my youtube

Camera Volumes System
            Procedurally Instanced Meshes
            Simple Portals
            Water Flow For UDK
            Setup Swarm

Comment

Originally posted by hallatore View Post
              I feel we are missing some artistic control over the current lighting. I want the rays that are inside the arch, but I don't want the rest of the scene to be so foggy.
              Or to put it differently. I want to have a visual ray/border between light and dark area's, but without so much fog in general. (If that makes any sense)

I tried playing around with the settings. But I didn't get any good results without introducing a ton of "dust" to the scene.
              I think you can archive it by setting Fog-Density to very low(or even 0) and spawn particles which affect the FogDensity in those areas where you want them

Comment

For something like this, perhaps you should use a custom mesh and material instead or use particles as someone has already suggested. Why pay the fog cost for the entire scene if you're only going to use it in a small area?

Just because we have a new tool btw doesn't necessarily mean it's the right one for the job!

Comment

Man Daniel...thank you so much for this! <3

Really looking forward to fool around with this and I just got an amazing new environment for the lighting academy to rock the volumetric fog with

Also, regarding the shafts, I totally understand why people want it and what they want it for and it makes sense to have some more artistic control and freedom. However, I have to say that the examples provided by John Alcatraz dont look that good. Please dont get me wrong here...I dont mean they look bad or anything like that,
                  but having such strong lightshafts and then clearly seeing a completely fog free environment where the shafts are occluded from geometry feels super weird and wrong to my eye. So its more like a personal opinion, but I think that look is just wrong and not as visually pleasing.
                  Of course, if you really want to force it, why not? But I would much rather see support for static indirect lighting implemented than making things like this happen^^ Just my 2 cents^^

BTW....if you look at volumetric lighting in Horizon Zero Dawn...they have some nice lightshafts too, but their stuff is also quite foggy^^ I would assume that they might actually combined screenspace lightshafts with volumetric lighting....but who knows

Cheers and keep up the great work!
                  Check out UNREAL 4 Lighting Academy
                  https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ng-like-that-)

Comment

Originally posted by redbox View Post
                    It's because it like in real world.
                    There is no lightshafts if nothing reflects light inside of it.

But you are right, this is good resquest to make shafts brighter without much of fog.
                    I feel this is a general problem with the current state of PBR in UE4. There are a lot of minor settings that would have helped artists a lot, but are not added because they are not "correct".
                    And the current implementation of volumetric fog seems to go down the same path of being physically correct, but artistically crippled.

My biggest gripe with the this in the engine is how hard it is to control the darkness of dynamic shadows and ambient occlusion on individual objects. Having GI would make the shadows brighter, but that cost too much. And we can't adjust the "brightness" of shadows since that is not correct. So we are left with dark dynamic shadows because that is the correct way. (There are some ways to get around this, but this could have been much easier with some better settings)

I see a lot of potential in this feature, and that's why I'm hoping it won't be "held back" just because some settings are unrealistic.

Comment

is it normal that stationary lights don't cast any shadows for fog? it seems that only movable lights support shadow casting, but maybe i've missed something?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicobass View Post
                        is it normal that stationary lights don't cast any shadows for fog? it seems that only movable lights support shadow casting, but maybe i've missed something?
                        I havent tried this myself yet but there were notes in github from when they were still working on this stuff for the 3.16 branch that suggest it should work:

Change 3366028 on 2017/03/27 by Daniel.Wright

Volumetric fog supports static shadowing from Stationary lights
                        * Using bilinear on static shadowmap depths + 1 PCF to smooth out results

Change 3366029 on 2017/03/27 by Daniel.Wright

Static shadow depth maps for Stationary point and spot lights are 2x higher res by default (4x more texels), which is more appropriate for volumetric fog

Comment

I thought movable directional lights where supported? I get very weird results when the sun is set to movable.

https://imgsli.com/MDQ1NA

Comment

I feel this is a general problem with the current state of PBR in UE4. There are a lot of minor settings that would have helped artists a lot, but are not added because they are not "correct".
                            You realize that what you just described is one of the core points behind PBR systems... Physically Based Rendering.

I'm glad the trend is to remove hacky features. What you call "artistically crippled" I call "logically sound".

Comment

I'm getting weird side effects when using high res screen shot tool. it's different each time I try. Sometimes white points sometimes a weird line somewhere on the screen.

Comment

Really liking the new additions, thanks!

Are there plans in the future to support a separate cascaded shadow map for the fog? Having to reduce overall shadow quality or the number of cascades for the directional light is a little unfortunate.
                                Lighting Artist II @ Crystal Dynamics
                                Former Lighting Artist @ Obsidian Entertainment
                                ArtStation

Comment

Working...
                                X