Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volumetric Fog feedback thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hi DanielW

    Sorry to be a nag, do you know if the "volume materials being allowed to sample the local meshes distance field" that you mentioned previously will make it into 4.19?

    Comment


      hi DanielW ,

      bounce

      Comment


        Hi DanielW ,

        Molatov just shared this twitter link with me from Ryan Brucks: https://twitter.com/ShaderBits/statu...66679962877953



        Any chance you can find a way to get these dynamic mesh distance fields and volumetric materials talking to each other in one of the 4.19 updates?

        Comment


          Comment


            sigh .

            Comment


              Any chance of getting this to work with volumetric lightmaps?

              Comment


                Just in case nobody noticed : On Linux, Lights spots | points don't project volumetric lights. If you make it on Windows and go back on Linux : they disappear.

                Comment


                  I noticed that Volumetric fog brightens what's behind it. This behaviour is unrealistic and disturbs dark environments.

                  Comment


                    IMO we should be able to create volumetric light without introducing fog.
                    George Rolfe.
                    Technical Coordinator at Orbit Solutions Pty Ltd.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by duke22 View Post
                      IMO we should be able to create volumetric light without introducing fog.
                      I agree, there should be possible to add volumetric volumes in places where needed so other places have better performance if volume are not needed. Volumetric volumes could be amazing for artistic control too.
                      tox.chat - Skype alternative, fast C/C++, no bloat.

                      Comment


                        Would it be possible to have "logarithmic" distance quality, so the world would get "compressed non-linearly" into the volume texture?

                        This would allow high quality fog close to camera while still seeing it in very far away objects.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by AE_3DFX View Post

                          I agree, there should be possible to add volumetric volumes in places where needed so other places have better performance if volume are not needed. Volumetric volumes could be amazing for artistic control too.
                          Why dont you make a BP that has a volume that controls if the volumetric feature on the heightfog is on or off? I mean there are many options on having control over your stuff, just chose one
                          Check out UNREAL 4 Lighting Academy
                          https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ng-like-that-)

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Daedalus51 View Post

                            Why dont you make a BP that has a volume that controls if the volumetric feature on the heightfog is on or off? I mean there are many options on having control over your stuff, just chose one
                            Sadly i have not found a blueprint that does volumetric volumes and only closest thing i got is this weird particle sphere but it wont even cast a shadows. I do not know blueprints and only be able to replicate blueprints that had easy short tutorials.
                            Attached Files
                            tox.chat - Skype alternative, fast C/C++, no bloat.

                            Comment


                              Sorry to be a nag, do you know if the "volume materials being allowed to sample the local meshes distance field" that you mentioned previously will make it into 4.19?
                              I had to shelve the implementation unfortunately due to other priorities. I am probably tied up for the next 6 months =( Sorry for the bad news. It is very easy to implement it just needs more testing, and I just don't have the time.

                              Love the galaxy thing, looks amazing. Wish I had gotten around to Participating media self-shadowing. Whenever you make dense volumetric materials, it looks bad due to lack of self shadowing. It's a major task though. Like regular shadowmaps but 3d instead of 2d, so very hard to make efficient.

                              Any chance of getting this to work with volumetric lightmaps?
                              Volumetric Fog is lit by Volumetric Lightmaps, actually that was one of our main motivations for creating a new volumetric lightmap representation, it needs to support GPU interpolation to affect Volumetric Fog efficiently, and previously we were relying on a method which only supported CPU per-object interpolation.

                              I noticed that Volumetric fog brightens what's behind it. This behaviour is unrealistic and disturbs dark environments.
                              This effect is due to the tonemapper and has nothing to do with Volumetric Fog - you can reproduce the same thing with a translucent sheet. The tonemapper has a non-linear high contrast 'toe' which causes this effect. You can reduce the contrast, or use the old tonemapper.

                              Would it be possible to have "logarithmic" distance quality, so the world would get "compressed non-linearly" into the volume texture?
                              The depth distribution is already exponential and you can control the exponent with r.VolumetricFog.DepthDistributionScale.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by DanielW View Post

                                I had to shelve the implementation unfortunately due to other priorities. I am probably tied up for the next 6 months =( Sorry for the bad news. It is very easy to implement it just needs more testing, and I just don't have the time.

                                Love the galaxy thing, looks amazing. Wish I had gotten around to Participating media self-shadowing. Whenever you make dense volumetric materials, it looks bad due to lack of self shadowing. It's a major task though. Like regular shadowmaps but 3d instead of 2d, so very hard to make efficient.



                                Volumetric Fog is lit by Volumetric Lightmaps, actually that was one of our main motivations for creating a new volumetric lightmap representation, it needs to support GPU interpolation to affect Volumetric Fog efficiently, and previously we were relying on a method which only supported CPU per-object interpolation.



                                This effect is due to the tonemapper and has nothing to do with Volumetric Fog - you can reproduce the same thing with a translucent sheet. The tonemapper has a non-linear high contrast 'toe' which causes this effect. You can reduce the contrast, or use the old tonemapper.



                                The depth distribution is already exponential and you can control the exponent with r.VolumetricFog.DepthDistributionScale.
                                Everything here sounds awesome DanielW !!
                                I understand the that you guys are currently busy working on other stuff, which I'm also looking forward to for sure.
                                My biggest question right now, I've seen that you understand the problem with selfshadowing, and of course you would like to have it, but It wasn't clear if this would come to the engine eventually.
                                I mean, for a feature like this I could wait all the time needed, but it would be nice to know if you guys are planning to add it in the future.
                                Amazing stuff could be done with volumes with the shape of the distance fields (even more awesome if they are dynamic ones), plus self-shadowing.
                                I'm really looking forward to those two features coming!
                                Thanks for your time!
                                Last edited by SirKlu; 03-01-2018, 08:25 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X