Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, as far as I understand, shadow quality settings determine the quality of volumetric fog, most notably in the form of disabling the fog completely on 'Medium' and lower settings.

Is there a way to keep volumetric fog enabled independent of the global scalability settings? I'm evaluating whether to use the fog as a gameplay element in certain situations, but for that to work I'd have to make sure that it's always there and can't be disabled merely by tuning some of the game's graphics settings.

Comment

Originally posted by ramesjandi View Post
      So, as far as I understand, shadow quality settings determine the quality of volumetric fog, most notably in the form of disabling the fog completely on 'Medium' and lower settings.

Is there a way to keep volumetric fog enabled independent of the global scalability settings? I'm evaluating whether to use the fog as a gameplay element in certain situations, but for that to work I'd have to make sure that it's always there and can't be disabled merely by tuning some of the game's graphics settings.
      You can customize the scalability settings. It amounts to .ini modification.
      https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...nce/index.html

Comment

Yep as Dementiurge said, you can override scalability levels in your project to force volumetric fog on for all scalability levels. The reason it gets turned off on Low and Medium is because of these lines in BaseScalability.ini:

[ShadowQuality@0]
        r.VolumetricFog=0

[ShadowQuality@1]
        r.VolumetricFog=0

Comment

Nice, thanks to both of you, I will have a look at those.

Comment

Hey guys. Is there by chance an ETA on when this fog might support Ray Traced Distance Field shadows? So torn between the two feature sets, would rather have both

Thank you.

Comment

Oh noes

Trying to move my nice space nebula thing from 4.16 to 4.18, it goes from this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	180108_120500_volFogParticleBeam_in416.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1409981

to this

Name:	180108_120500_volFogParticleBeam_in418.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1409982

What's happening???

Comment

Mesh for the particle beam is still fine btw:

Name:	180108_121200_volFogParticleBeamWires.jpg
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	1409984

Comment

Name:	180108_160000_volFogBorked.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	1410041
                  Last edited by ioFlow Studios; 01-09-2018, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Is there some small setting that's been added in 4.18?

(pleeeeeease be a small setting not a major bug)

Comment

more testing...

Name:	180108_162700_volFogBorked.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	1410048

As you can see, it's not an overly complicated material...

Any epic peoples around who might be able to throw a lifesaver?

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post

In 4.18 I have made it so that if you apply a Volume material to a static mesh, the bounding box of the mesh gets the Volume material applied to it, instead of a sphere. This gives a lot more control over the shape of the fog you are adding. The next step which I haven't implemented yet is to allow the Volume material to sample the local mesh's distance field. Then you can make fog in the shape of any static mesh, while having the inside of the mesh filled as well.
                        Hi Daniel,

Sorry, totally missed this post, dementiurge pointed it out to me on discord...

Any idea if you'll be able to get this into the next update for 4.18? Nebulas have been smacking me around in the eden project for about six months now, and it looks like vol fog is going to be the only feasible way of solving it at the moment : \

P.S. the solid fog looks awesome, even when it just on the bounding box

Comment

Hi there DanielW , sorry to be pushy but I need to know what's happening with the stuff you mentioned in the quote above.

You made that post nearly a year ago, that's a long time to be silent about a new feature...

Comment

In 4.18 a Volume material applied to particle sprites remain the same - the sphere of each sprite is voxelized. But a Volume material applied to any other mesh type causes the entire Object Bounding Box of the component to be voxelized.

The original behavior was incorrect triangle voxelization, which seems to have been working in your case, but in general is quite broken and was not intended as a feature. My apologies for the inconvenience. I really should have just prevented it from rendering completely so no one would have started relying on it, since I knew I was going to change how it worked shortly.

From the docs:
                            https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...VolumetricFog/

Volume materials currently only work on particles and positions inside of the particle radius will be valid, which is usually handled by a SphereMask.
                            ^This was supposed to say 'Particle Sprites'

Comment

Oh well... it's a shame you can't leave the original behaviour in as an optional fall back, wrong or not it looks breathtaking on particle beams.

Anyways, you mentioned letting volume materials being allowed to sample the local meshes distance field, which sounds awesome!

Is there any chance that will still happen? Is there any way it could be sooner than later?

Ooh, and most importantly, will this be compatible with procedural meshes?

Cos when I try to put vol mats on my proc meshes atm UE4 crashes : \

Comment

Oh, and thanks for making such a revolutionary new technique part of UE4

I battled (hopelessly) for most of last year with normal translucency to try and make nice looking nebulas for my galaxy thingy, but now because of all your hard work I can make stuff like the pic below with (relative) ease:

Name:	180112_115300_volCylinders.jpg
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1411858

Am adding a few more screen caps to the eden project thread too if you're interested...

Comment

Working...
                                X