Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This image Volumtric Scattering Intensity=2,The volumteric fog can make the rock brightness,But light no direct irradiate the rock
    http://i.imgur.com/36GiyOB.png
    This image Volumtric Scattering Intensity=0 So the light back rock is black
    http://i.imgur.com/VN46A19.jpg
    So i want to know this is bug? or some way to solve this problem
    Last edited by Unrealsyy; 08-30-2017, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Anyone have idea why fog leaks in from here, building structure has lightmap res 512 and quality is production.
      tox.chat - Skype alternative, fast C/C++, no bloat.

Comment

Looks like static shadowing due to a Stationary Directional Light. Static shadowing doesn't have a ton of precision and leaks like that. You can use Cascaded Shadow Maps near the camera to get more precision. (set DynamicShadowDistanceStationaryLight)

Comment

Originally posted by Skunkmeister View Post
          Hey! Somebody asked this earlier and I'm curious as well... Can we have a mesh shaded as a domain for volume? Like... Say it's a mesh in the shape of a cloud? Is that possible? And it behaves as the domain for the fog?

If not, here's another question: How would one go about setting up volumetric noise functions to appropriately define density of fog within a domain?

Say, cloud noise, making the circular domain around the particle look like a foggy cloud?

(I think I've made what I'm trying to create here pretty clear)
          I haven't yet seen anyone answer as to whether this is possible or not. I myself am working on a project where it would be very nice to be able to contain a fog effect within an arbitrary mesh, as opposed to just a sphere.

A good example of this effect would be a supported way to create the interesting car-shaped fog in the feature highlight video (which from what I understand--which is very little mind you, I'm new to this--is a bug)

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
            Looks like static shadowing due to a Stationary Directional Light. Static shadowing doesn't have a ton of precision and leaks like that. You can use Cascaded Shadow Maps near the camera to get more precision. (set DynamicShadowDistanceStationaryLight)
            Thanks, looks like it did work.
            tox.chat - Skype alternative, fast C/C++, no bloat.

Comment

Hey! Somebody asked this earlier and I'm curious as well... Can we have a mesh shaded as a domain for volume? Like... Say it's a mesh in the shape of a cloud? Is that possible? And it behaves as the domain for the fog?
              I myself am working on a project where it would be very nice to be able to contain a fog effect within an arbitrary mesh, as opposed to just a sphere.
              In 4.18 I have made it so that if you apply a Volume material to a static mesh, the bounding box of the mesh gets the Volume material applied to it, instead of a sphere. This gives a lot more control over the shape of the fog you are adding. The next step which I haven't implemented yet is to allow the Volume material to sample the local mesh's distance field. Then you can make fog in the shape of any static mesh, while having the inside of the mesh filled as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
                It does seem as though this specific kind of light bleeding has become more pronounced with the new volumetric lightmaps in 4.18, though. I've generally had good success by using thicker walls or invisible static shadow casters, so it's not a huge issue.

I don't suppose it would be possible to enable cascaded shadows for volumetric fog but not actual shadows, would it? I like having area shadows from baked lights, since they're cheaper and a bit better looking than distance field soft shadows, but I'd also like to avoid light bleeding through walls onto the fog.

Comment

[Bringing this Thread Back to life]

I was a jolly time With Volumetric Lighting and i noticed something that begs for a better explanation [Due to the fact that i do not even know how Shadowing Works in Engines]. I was not happy with when i made the Volumetric Lighting show the Jittering and i couldnt get the History Blend to blend the Jittering so i didnt see it; So i got mad and just turned off Temporal Re-Projection and i noticed the Voxels are made up of pixels. Playing Dark and Light Enlightened me on Shadow quality through Console so i decided to bring the shadow's quality down to the 1 Knob. To my surprise the Voxel Lighting matched the Volumetric Lighting's Voxels. Thats no surprise but i wanted to know if the shadows have the exact same type of rendering the Volumetric Shadows do compared to the Shadows. And if not; Is there a way to do the Voxel'ation with the same type of rendering the Shadows have? Or is that just not possible?

Comment

Hi there - what Doctor Fail and others are asking - about volumetric fog on mesh - im also really looking out for.

The thing is that we know it was somehow possible - from the car from the youtube video - even though it had few limitations.

But how was that car material setup? - anyone that could answer that would be really appreciated.

Because now in 4.18 if i add the material - in any way - i think it only work on the not so useable - box shape (bouncing box - as DanielW say.)

I hope anyone can help.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

Recently I started having trouble on my light shaft bloom.
                      When I'm in editor, it looks fine, the sun is blooming in the sky. However, when I press play there are times where the bloom stays there, but most of the times the light shaft bloom vanishes.

I have a blueprint that changes a bunch of variables during construction (directional light, sky light, fog and a sky material) and later a runtime (dynamic sky cycle). I do recapture the scene for the sky light to work properly. Is there any option that I need to recapture to ensure that my fog is updating it values?

Thank you and keep up the great job on it!

Comment

So I've been using Volumetric Fog to create some more interesting lighting in a level I'm working on. In 4.17, I had to use stationary lights (even though these lights should be treated as static) in order to get volume lighting.

I can thankfully now switch to Static Lights, save some performance and take advantage of the new Volumetric Lightmap system - but there is one major issue. Volumetric Scattering Intensity has no effect when using a static light (in fact, it's greyed out), and I can't work out how to make static lights contribute more to the Volumetric Fog without bumping the light intensity and affecting other aspects of the scene.

I think I understand the technical reason as to why this is, but is there a workaround?

4:18 (Stationary Lights. Red Lights have VSI = 150.f, Light-Shaft is a spot light with VSI = 4.f)

4:18 (Static Lights)

Notice also that when using static lights, I get an ominous 'white' glow from the light too? All colour information seems to have been lost.

Comment

Another issue I've noticed - static lighting on Volumetric Light Maps only shows up in the editor if you're using 'Game' preview mode. You have to keep pressing the 'G' key to see it :/ Not super intuitive...

EDIT: Okay I'm not sure what's going on, but Volumetric Fog just keeps randomly disappearing from the scene. it seems to be related to building lighting and/or showing the volume lighting samples. Something isn't right here...
                          Last edited by TheJamsh; 11-22-2017, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I don't suppose it would be possible to enable cascaded shadows for volumetric fog but not actual shadows, would it?
                            It could be implemented easily but we don't plan to - that would be a huge amount of shadowmap rendering cost just for volumetric fog.

Thats no surprise but i wanted to know if the shadows have the exact same type of rendering the Volumetric Shadows do compared to the Shadows.
                            Shadow depth maps are rendered once for each light and then used by both regular surface lighting and Volumetric Fog. So if you lower the resolution of the shadowmaps, it will affect both. However volumetric fog also goes through some volume textures (with the temporal reprojection applied) which is typically much lower resolution than the shadowmap, so that will be the limiting factor on shadow sharpness most of the time.

Comment

Volumetric Scattering Intensity has no effect when using a static light (in fact, it's greyed out), and I can't work out how to make static lights contribute more to the Volumetric Fog without bumping the light intensity and affecting other aspects of the scene.
                              It's because once lights are put into the lightmap (either volumetric or surface), there's no way to separate them out when applying the lightmap to various parts of the scene like fog.

The only workaround I can think of is to make the light Stationary - then you have full control over how it is applied to each part of the scene, since the renderer will loop over all stationary lights per pixel / voxel. Of course, this costs more.

Notice also that when using static lights, I get an ominous 'white' glow from the light too? All colour information seems to have been lost
                              I can't see this in your screenshot. Just guessing at what you are seeing though, it's probably from the limited directional lighting representation used by the Volumetric Lightmap. We use 3rd order SH which is actually a ton of data (27 values per voxel) but still limited in what it can represent.

Comment

Found a potential bug with samples outside of the lightmass importance volume, see here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...reproduce-able

Comment

Working...
                                X