Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightmass: multi-bounced sky lighting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by Norman3D View Post
    Even better! Is the issue you linked to before with the spotlight also fixed? Or is this something you can't properly fix on your side? Would you advise to avoid using spotlights if possible for our bakes?
    I did a quick fix (disabled indirect path driven photon emission), you can have a try, can potentially increase build time:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0iz2yvqpzc...-4.15.zip?dl=0

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by Luoshuang View Post
      Replace UE_4.15\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealLightmass.exe with the provided one.
      thanks! i'll post some images later!

      Comment


        #33
        A few tests with a more complex scene. It's 25-30% faster without lose quality on samples (3 hours vs 2 hours - Too many samples in this one The contact shadows in small pieces are better also. but I'm not so sure about the lighting value falloff, maybe is it too exponential? I don't know.

        I will test the latest update with the directional lighting and post more results.

        @Norman3d : I used 20 bounces

        Click image for larger version

Name:	moretest_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	1125026

        Click image for larger version

Name:	moretest_04.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	1125027

        Click image for larger version

Name:	moretest_02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	1125028

        Click image for larger version

Name:	moretest_03.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	1125029
        http://www.ue4arch.com

        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjp...pois6WVG6hqXNQ
        Latest projects

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by rafareis123 View Post
          A few tests with a more complex scene. It's 25-30% faster without lose quality on samples (3 hours vs 2 hours - Too many samples in this one The contact shadows in small pieces are better also. but I'm not so sure about the lighting value falloff, maybe is it too exponential? I don't know.

          I will test the latest update with the directional lighting and post more results.

          @Norman3d : I used 20 bounces
          Thanks for those tests! Are them done with the updated one, or the very first version? When comparing the second picture to orignal lightmass's and iray's, it seems that the first bounce of skylight is lost.

          Edit: Is the skylight's lower hemisphere set to black in engine?
          Last edited by Luoshuang; 03-21-2017, 10:10 PM.

          Comment


            #35
            I did with the first version, I haven't tested the update yet. Yes, a solid black color (in the original lightmass and yours)
            http://www.ue4arch.com

            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjp...pois6WVG6hqXNQ
            Latest projects

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by rafareis123 View Post
              I did with the first version, I haven't tested the update yet. Yes, a solid black color (in the original lightmass and yours)
              Oh, so is that the reason why the ceiling in iray is much brighter than lightmass? Is the lower hemisphere in iray also black?
              Last edited by Luoshuang; 03-21-2017, 10:26 PM.

              Comment


                #37
                Yes. I used the same HDRI in all renderings. The ceiling brightness from the original lightmass is similar to iray. I will create a more precisely test about it. Let´s see!
                Last edited by rafareis123; 03-21-2017, 10:41 PM.
                http://www.ue4arch.com

                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjp...pois6WVG6hqXNQ
                Latest projects

                Comment


                  #38
                  Wow ! This is really really really cool ! Congrats dude !
                  ____________________________________________________________
                  https://twitter.com/Koola_UE4

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Very impressive light filling and color bouncing improvement. But honestly, I'm not sure what you changed in lightmass binary. Original skylight had only 1 bounce?

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Hey Luoshuang !

                      That's some seriously cool stuff there, having more than one bounce on skylights really gives more depth to baked lighting.

                      I tried to reproduce your lightbleed scene but I can't quite get similar results with my setup...

                      This is one of the results I got with a skylight intensity of 3, level scale of 0.1, 5 bounces, indirect quality of 8 and indirect smoothness at 0.75. I am also building lights at medium quality level to decrease bake durations a lot.
                      I can't quite find the right setup to have as defined shadows and vibrant colors like in your shots.



                      What are your lightmass/skylight settings ?

                      Cheers,
                      Antoine aka LegendreVR
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by LegendreVR; 03-22-2017, 12:30 PM.
                      Antoine Guillo, FR
                      Virtual Reality Designer
                      https://groupe-legendre.com/

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by tonpix View Post
                        Very impressive light filling and color bouncing improvement. But honestly, I'm not sure what you changed in lightmass binary. Original skylight had only 1 bounce?
                        Yes. It bounces only once.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by koola View Post
                          Wow ! This is really really really cool ! Congrats dude !
                          Hi koola! Waiting for your stunning things!

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by LegendreVR View Post
                            Hey Luoshuang !

                            That's some seriously cool stuff there, having more than one bounce on skylights really gives more depth to baked lighting.

                            I tried to reproduce your lightbleed scene but I can't quite get similar results with my setup...

                            This is one of the results I got with a skylight intensity of 3, level scale of 0.1, 5 bounces, indirect quality of 8 and indirect smoothness at 0.75. I am also building lights at medium quality level to decrease bake durations a lot.
                            I can't quite find the right setup to have as defined shadows and vibrant colors like in your shots.

                            What are your lightmass/skylight settings ?

                            Cheers,
                            Antoine aka LegendreVR
                            You can download the test scene at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6mk56b8y6...204.15.7z?dl=0

                            Comment


                              #44
                              I have tested the latest update. Some conclusions

                              - The lighting leaks from the Spotlights was fixed. Also the incorrect brightness from bounces.
                              - The color bleeding mixes the colors more vibrant and correctly
                              - It's really faster than the original lightmass, I can say like 20-30%

                              I did some tests only with the Directional light. Some bugs still persists. I marked it in red to you investigate

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	test2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1125078
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	test3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1125079
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	test spotlight 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	1125080
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	test spotlight 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1125081
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	test sun1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1125083
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	bugs_directional.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1125084
                              Attached Files
                              http://www.ue4arch.com

                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjp...pois6WVG6hqXNQ
                              Latest projects

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by rafareis123 View Post
                                I have tested the latest update. Some conclusions

                                - The lighting leaks from the Spotlights was fixed. Also the incorrect brightness from bounces.
                                - The color bleeding mixes the colors more vibrant and correctly
                                - It's really faster than the original lightmass, I can say like 20-30%

                                I did some tests only with the Directional light. Some bugs still persists. I marked it in red to you investigate
                                Thanks! I'd like to point out that the bright splotches are caused by insufficient irradiance photons. This is the downside of my temporary fix to spotlights, because it turns off indirect path driven photon emission, then the efficiency of irradiance photons goes down.

                                There are two ways to fix this:
                                1) You can raise "IndirectIrradiancePhotonDensity" in BaseLightmass.ini to increase the number of irradiance photons. This will increase the time of "calculate irradiance photons".
                                2) I'll investigate whether it is good to let directional lights also use the radiosity-like techique.

                                Edit: If the splotches appear as the first bounce of directional lights, then you may also want to change "CachedIrradiancePhotonDownsampleFactor" from 2 to 1. This is another drawback of the radiosity-like technique - the lightmap resolution affects not only the resolution of light it receives, but also the light bounces from it. If the downsample factor does not work well, then you may have to increase the lightmap resolution for the objects that are bouncing light.
                                Last edited by Luoshuang; 03-22-2017, 04:07 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X