Lightmass: multi-bounced sky lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great job Luoshuang, as usual.

This is something I intend to implement in Lightmass when I get a chance. I will take a look at your implementation and see if there's anything I can reuse when I do so. Unfortunately I am pretty overwhelmed these days with other tasks so it will be a while. I'm planning to reuse the rays from the first bounce for subsequent bounces, so that multiple bounces effectively don't cost extra, which is an artist expectation with Lightmass at this point.

Also, skylight needs better directionality on the sky light source, right now it's reduced to a 3 band SH which is like an extremely low res cube map, all directionality is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
      right now it's reduced to a 3 band SH which is like an extremely low res cube map, all directionality is gone.
      Is that why it's hard to get good directional shadows from a strong bright spot in a skylight?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilkes View Post
        Is that why it's hard to get good directional shadows from a strong bright spot in a skylight?
        Yes. However, without a robust importance sampling strategy, that kind of cubemaps can easily cause a lot of noise.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
          Great job Luoshuang, as usual.

This is something I intend to implement in Lightmass when I get a chance. I will take a look at your implementation and see if there's anything I can reuse when I do so. Unfortunately I am pretty overwhelmed these days with other tasks so it will be a while. I'm planning to reuse the rays from the first bounce for subsequent bounces, so that multiple bounces effectively don't cost extra, which is an artist expectation with Lightmass at this point.

Also, skylight needs better directionality on the sky light source, right now it's reduced to a 3 band SH which is like an extremely low res cube map, all directionality is gone.
          Hi Daniel

Beside this, I found a bug in the indirect path driven photon emission: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...or-spot-lights

Hope the bug won't add a lot of extra work to you

Comment

Will this also work with swarm agent? Do other clients need the same exe locally?

Comment

Originally posted by Norman3D View Post
              Will this also work with swarm agent? Do other clients need the same exe locally?
              SwarmAgent always distributes the UnrealLightmass.exe on the master to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Luoshuang View Post
                SwarmAgent always distributes the UnrealLightmass.exe on the master to others.
                This is seriously awesome. I've had so much trouble with indirect lighting in lightmass that I have almost given up, I'll give this a run on my scenes

Comment

Incredible work man! The lighting travels so beautifully, it looks like Pixar's renderman!

I did some tests from the current scene that I have been working on. The setup was Directional + Skylight.
                  The rendering time was about 3x times faster with a better samples deifinition.
                  I have noticed some bugs coming from the directional lighting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	color1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	1125015

Name:	color2.jpg
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	1125016

Name:	comparison_3.jpg
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1125017

Name:	comparison_2.jpg
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1125018

Name:	comparison_1.jpg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	1125019

I will do more tests when I get some time!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by rafareis123; 03-21-2017, 04:04 PM.
                  http://www.ue4arch.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjp...pois6WVG6hqXNQ
                  Latest projects

Comment

Originally posted by rafareis123 View Post
                    Incredible work man! The lighting travels so beautifully, it looks like Pixar's renderman!

I did some tests from the current scene that I have been working on. The setup was Directional + Skylight.

This is amazing, to be clear, you got that performance improvement without doing any setting changes between the two versions? How many bounces were you using?

EDIT: Removed images from quote
                    Last edited by Norman3D; 03-21-2017, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rafareis123 View Post

Thanks! Waiting for more results from you to identify bugs more clearly.

Originally posted by Norman3D View Post
                      This is amazing, to be clear, you got that performance improvement without doing any setting changes between the two versions? How many bounces were you using?

EDIT: Removed images from quote
                      I think that is because the scene's contrast in lighting is reduced by multiple bounces, then we need fewer adaptive refinement levels to achieve a good result.

Comment

[MENTION=12653]rafareis123[/MENTION] [MENTION=47093]Norman3D[/MENTION]

Bad news: I found a bug that causes all lights to lose their first bounce (second and later on are preserved) The 4.15 binary is updated, please redownload it and try again.
                        Last edited by Luoshuang; 03-21-2017, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Hi, awesome results with this!

Any help on how to implement this? I did a quick search and couln't find out where or how should I use the file.]

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by maxdaiber View Post
                            Hi, awesome results with this!

Any help on how to implement this? I did a quick search and couln't find out where or how should I use the file.]

Thanks
                            Replace UE_4.15\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealLightmass.exe with the provided one.

Comment

The lost first bounce is now fixed.

Before fix:

Name:	HighresScreenshot00005.jpg
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	1125023

After fix:

Name:	HighresScreenshot00010.jpg
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	1125024

With a directional light:

Name:	HighresScreenshot00011.jpg
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	1125025
                              Last edited by Luoshuang; 03-21-2017, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Even better! Is the issue you linked to before with the spotlight also fixed? Or is this something you can't properly fix on your side? Would you advise to avoid using spotlights if possible for our bakes?

Comment

Working...
                                X