Normal Map Artifacts after Substance Painter export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I know, I'm sorry I can't share the assets and I know it's very difficult to help without being able to get a good overview. I didn't expect it to be such a difficult issue to solve.
    Last edited by FrankWilliam; 03-03-2017, 11:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If we can't look into the asset we can't help you see what you're doing wrong.
    It may be many different things causing the seams.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, I messed around with the lightmap but it didn't seem to make any difference. I tried with resolutions ranging from 32 to 256 without any real results.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by FrankWilliam View Post
    I'm sorry, but unfortunately I don't think I can share the files.

Do you think it could it be related to the lightmap? I haven't actually done anything with the lightmap yet. The second UV set on the model is named "lightmap", but right now it's just a copy of the texture map.

When I click "Build Lighting Only" it gets a lot more pronounced:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]131711[/ATTACH]
    Well then it could be a lightmap issue. To check, you can increase the lightmap resolution for this object to a high value. What is the current lightmap resolution?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm sorry, but unfortunately I don't think I can share the files.

Do you think it could it be related to the lightmap? I haven't actually done anything with the lightmap yet. The second UV set on the model is named "lightmap", but right now it's just a copy of the texture map.

When I click "Build Lighting Only" it gets a lot more pronounced:

Click image for larger version

Name:	stackLight_normalIssueBuildLightingOnly001.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1124225

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by FrankWilliam View Post
    Oh, I didn't know that! But unfortunately I just tried both converting it to 8 bit in Photoshop and exporting it as 8 bit from Substance Painter, and none of them did any visible difference :/
    Can you share the model and substance file so that we can have a look at it?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh, I didn't know that! But unfortunately I just tried both converting it to 8 bit in Photoshop and exporting it as 8 bit from Substance Painter, and none of them did any visible difference :/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When exporting normal map from Substance Painter it's 16Bit. You have to use 8Bit normal map in UE4.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My problem isn't fixed because I need it in UE4, not in Maya unfortunately :/

It still looks wonky in UE4.

How do you do the Unreal Engine export in Substance Painter 2.5? Is it different from just picking the UE4 preset when you create the project and export the textures?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It seems like your issue is all fixed, but I just want to add in that Substance Painter 2.5 has a very good Unreal Engine export now and I suggest using that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hmm, I don't know if the problem is with the model or even Substance Painter. I followed that exact tutorial when I made it and everything looks fine when I apply the texture in Maya.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I haven't used Substance Painter much. Came across this tutorial about Model preparation for using Substance Painter. It may help you.

https://tutorials.allegorithmic.com/...be-gR3r7Xmhmlk

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hmm, I did use DirectX and now that I tried flipping the green channel it just moved the problem area.

This is what it looks like before flip:

Name:	stackLight_normalIssue001.PNG
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1124146

And this is what it looks like after:

Name:	stackLight_normalIssue002.PNG
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1124147

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In Substance, make sure you use the DirectX normal map setting in the project settings, instead of OpenGL. There's more information in their documentation.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Cheers! I'll try that. What is the reason for that issue? How do I stop them from being inverted in the future?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X