Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to determine the orientation of a face? material

Hi
    I want to apply effects to foliage based on its orientation.
    I cant get the orientation of individual foliage (when it is placed using the foliage tool), so need to find a differentway. Does anyone have any ideas how it can be done?
    Last edited by somawheels; 02-23-2017, 03:26 PM.

I have an idea to apply effects to foliage based on rotation.
    I can get a value of a single poly/vert in the foliage that I know should be facing a certain direction (in this case, up/blue/z axis)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-23 19_07_14-WSrot_.png
Views:	1
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1123841

In this example, the polygon/vert with red vertexpaint should be facing up, which is the blue channel/Zaxis in worldspace, the less upfacing it is, the lower the blue value will be. My question is: how can i modulate properties for the whole mesh/UVmap based on one polygon with red vertexpaint? i want to use the value of that one polygon/vert as if would a scalar parametre which will affect the whole mesh.
    Last edited by somawheels; 02-23-2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

I really hope this is possible- Have not seen this before on instanced meshes, but if it will work it can be really powerfull.
      Example.
      These tubes are instances - brushed on using the foliage tool:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-23 20_52_21-TreeRal - Unreal Editor.png
Views:	1
Size:	859.7 KB
ID:	1123845
      See that vertex color variation based on the tubes tilt? If i can get a scalar value from that that will affect more than just those vertecies... theres some serious potential.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by somawheels; 02-23-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X