Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.15 tonemapper - is it possible to simulate old effects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a cool work around

Comment

Originally posted by ZacD View Post
      Here's a cool work around

not.. really.

Comment

That's only for maintaining constant luminance for emissives, useful for gameplay-related things that shouldn't adjust with exposure.

There is no easy way to replace the tonemapper or achieve similar results with ACES. You could use the Post-Process Material to replace the tonemapper at the cost of no native controls for color grading or exposure. OR, you could replace/comment out a small section of the tonemapping shader and replace it with something else like Reinhard that keeps highlights saturated. The Gran Turismo tonemapper by Uchimura is a good middle ground in that highlights aren't as desaturated and you keep the "filmic" contrast. It's definitely more complicated than Reinhard, but it's straightforward to implement. Replacing the code gets more complicated if you're planning to support anything other than the standard sRGB/Rec709 display.
        Lighting Artist @ Rockstar Games
        ArtStation
        Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
          since there still isn't a proper workaround...
          I wonder if anyone has tried to 'replace the tonemapper' in a postprocess material

if I place a sphere with an emissive full-red color with 100.0 value (so R=100, G=0, B=0),
          the compared results are as follows:

Click image for larger version Name:	tonemapper.jpg Views:	1 Size:	55.8 KB ID:	1658097

as opposed to disabling the tonemapper via the CVar, here everything else that's tonemapper-dependent (TAA, etc) still works.
          the "only" caveat is that the EyeAdaptation node seems useless and my scene becomes fully dark
          with 4.24 the EyeAdaptation node now works in postprocess materials, so the above workaround now works respecting all of the exposure settings
          however the rest of rosegoldslugs comment is still true - you lose the rest of controls for color grading
          Follow me on Twitter!
          Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
          Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

actually nevermind, it doesnt simulate the old effects
            any color that isn't -full- red, green or blue, when multiplied by a high value for emissive, seems to be getting blown out into a whiteish version of that color

on the other hand, unlike the first few replies, as of 4.24 a (50,0,0) pure red does not become orange anymore, and a (0,0,10) pure blue does not become pink anymore
            Last edited by Chosker; 01-22-2020, 07:42 PM.
            Follow me on Twitter!
            Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
            Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
              actually nevermind, it doesnt simulate the old effects
              any color that isn't -full- red, green or blue, when multiplied by a high value for emissive, seems to be getting blown out into a whiteish version of that color

on the other hand, unlike the first few replies, as of 4.24 a (50,0,0) pure red does not become orange anymore, and a (0,0,10) pure blue does not become pink anymore

All colors will eventually desaturate, it just depends on the hue. Red and blue are two of the darkest hues, so it makes sense if the same emissive multiplier has a different effect on them. It's also worth pointing out that the blue to purple issue(an issue directly with ACES which the Academy is aware of) is addressed in post-process with the Color Grading > Misc > Blue Correction slider. It effectively corrects anything similar to blue, so there is a bit of bleeding with green and purple. The Expand Gamut option also improves saturation at high luminances a tiny bit as well, although that's not the direct intention.
              Last edited by rosegoldslugs; 01-23-2020, 12:03 PM.
              Lighting Artist @ Rockstar Games
              ArtStation
              Twitter

Comment

I was wondering why my emissive materials kept getting "washed out" no matter what I did. I guess there's no way even now with 4.24.3 to have an emissive color retain it's primary color instead of getting whiter/paler? I mean "r.TonemapperFilm 0" works but it also isn't exactly what I would want....(not to mention it'll eventually no longer work).
                Last edited by GlitchBob452; 02-29-2020, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Just ran into this problem also. The emissive surface turns white when you crank it up. Only the bloom light it emits retains some of the intended color. Not very useful unless all of my emissive is basically white, which they aren't. I'm using 4.24.3

Tried the r.TonemapperFilm=0 and it fixed nothing. I'm guessing epic made good on their choice to remove the old tone mapper so now I'm screwed? If so that's awesome.
                  Last edited by MaderMax; 03-16-2020, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X