Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distance field ambient occlusion doesn't work in VR

Hello,

I have done some testing with DFAO and it really is great effect for large outdoor scenes. I also noticed that the effect is gone every time I use VR preview with my Oculus Rift CV1. Is this a known limitation or just user error?

No every feature is supported in VR. I tried to find some recent information about Distance Field and VR, but I've just found some posts that it didn't work on much earlier versions of the engine. My thought is, it's extremely unlikely for it to be supported because distance field has been left of the back burner as a feature. VR requires very high frame rates and is demanding performance wise, and distance field is too slow of a feature to get a modern game running at 90 fps on a VR headset with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacD View Post
      distance field has been left of the back burner as a feature
      Why / where is this info coming from? I think DFAO and DF shadows are essential for open world games, why would they forget about them?

Comment

Originally posted by tmammela View Post
        Why / where is this info coming from? I think DFAO and DF shadows are essential for open world games, why would they forget about them?
        It's not that they forgot, I assume there are still bugs and such going on with getting DFAO and DF shadows to work with Virtual Reality technology. I'm sure it'll be here soon enough, or maybe a more efficient version for VR.

Comment

Looks like it won't be fixed any time soon - Unrealengine123 has put the case for DFAO in VR being a bug and Epic has entered it:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...e-with-vr.html

See bug here:

https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-43318
          Last edited by ZEROONESTUDIO; 03-31-2017, 06:57 PM.

Comment

It's been a couple years. We've seen both improvements for DFAO and in the hardware space.
            Any updates on DFAO in VR?

Comment

DFAO works on desktop VR if I'm not wrong (will test tomorrow at work);
              - enable distance fields in project settings
              - add a skylight, set mobility to moveable, change settings for DFAO (skylight)

Comment

Originally posted by maxbrown View Post
                DFAO works on desktop VR if I'm not wrong (will test tomorrow at work);
                - enable distance fields in project settings
                - add a skylight, set mobility to moveable, change settings for DFAO (skylight)
                This doesn't seem to be working.
                Distance field calculations in materials and post process materials work, but the AO doesn't show in VR.

Comment

Originally posted by rojo8399 View Post
                  This doesn't seem to be working.
                  Distance field calculations in materials and post process materials work, but the AO doesn't show in VR.
                  You are right - it shows in the desktop view but when testing in VR (Rift) its gone.
                  I had a look in the bug tracker and its reported and it wont be fixed soon because no one will use this lighting setup in vr.
                  See here https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-43318

Comment

Working...
                  X