Making Menus in Py?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Menus in Py?

I've been starting my dip into UE Python and I have a simple script but since it's made for artists I need to be able to put it on a menu. I see that there is some mentions to ToolMenu in the py docs but I can not for the life of me get it to not error.
    So I guess my first question is

A) are the py docs online actually wrong? I ask this because looking at
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ight=toolmenus
    This says the find_menu wants a name but if I give it a unreal.Name or a string it complains about wanting something else entirely.

B) is there anyone that has made menus in Py and could show me some example code? I just need to get started with it and I'm sure I can sort it out after that...

Thanks for any help

PS. When is Epic going to update to py3? The VFX standard has been changed for a good chunk of time already..

Hi!

Can't help with a).. sorry.

but for B):
    You might wanna look at this:
    https://youtu.be/RMgp1Kv6OrU?list=PL...roqi_Nwipg-IdP

This guy's tutorial helped me to learn the ropes when it comes to Unreal python UI, he has a github up as well so you might wanna take a look at his code.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbimbimbap View Post
      Hi!

Can't help with a).. sorry.

but for B):
      You might wanna look at this:
      https://youtu.be/RMgp1Kv6OrU?list=PL...roqi_Nwipg-IdP

This guy's tutorial helped me to learn the ropes when it comes to Unreal python UI, he has a github up as well so you might wanna take a look at his code.
      Hey thanks for the reply. Actually that is how I started getting my UI's in UE. I have PySide2 working and some subclasses (based on that vid) for making windows and what not.
      That's the exact reason I'm trying to get menu's made now, so I can get these tools sorted into a menu for the end user(s)
      If I could get access to a base Qt window in UE I could probably just force a menu into it like you do regularly with PySide2/Qt stuff but I haven't been able to get a hold of a main window...

Comment

Code:
        """

Example of extending a menu in Unreal using Python

"""

import unreal

def main():

menus = unreal.ToolMenus.get()

# Find the 'edit' menu, this should not fail,
          # but if we're looking for a menu we're unsure about 'if not'
          # works as nullptr check,
          edit = menus.find_menu("LevelEditor.MainMenu.Edit")
          if not edit:
            print("Failed to find the 'Edit' menu")

entry = unreal.ToolMenuEntry(
            name = "MyEntry",
            type = unreal.MultiBlockType.MENU_ENTRY, # If you pass a type that is not supported Unreal will let you know,
            insert_position = unreal.ToolMenuInsert("Delete", unreal.ToolMenuInsertType.AFTER) # this will tell unreal to insert this entry after the 'Delete' menu item, if found in section we define later,
          )

edit.add_menu_entry("EditMain", entry) # section name, ToolMenuInsert, Unreal will add the section name if it can't find it, otherwise call AddEntry for the found section,

if __name__ == '__main__':
          main()

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas Rånman View Post
          Code:
          """

Example of extending a menu in Unreal using Python

"""

import unreal

def main():

# Find the 'edit' menu, this should not fail,
          edit = menus.find_menu("LevelEditor.MainMenu.Edit")
          if not edit:
          print("Failed to find the 'Edit' menu")

name = "MyEntry",
          type = unreal.MultiBlockType.MENU_ENTRY, # If you pass a type that is not supported Unreal will let you know,
          insert_position = unreal.ToolMenuInsert("Delete", unreal.ToolMenuInsertType.AFTER) # this will tell unreal to insert this entry after the 'Delete' menu item, if found in section we define later,
          )

# NEED THIS TO HAVE TEXT IN THE MENU
          entry.set_label("MyEntry")

edit.add_menu_entry("EditMain", entry) # section name, ToolMenuInsert, Unreal will add the section name if it can't find it, otherwise call AddEntry for the found section,

main()
          Added an extra line as I wasn't getting Text on the entry (it was making the entry but leaving it blank)

Comment

I can't seem to edit my above post so excuse the double post

Here is a sample of how to get a new menu added to the menubar and add an item to it (with example of how to make it execute py code)

Huzzah, with a lot of help from Andreas, I was able to get some menu items added to a new menu in Py

Code:
            import unreal

def main():
                print("Creating Menus!")

# Find the 'Main' menu, this should not fail,
                main_menu = menus.find_menu("LevelEditor.MainMenu")
                if not main_menu:
                    print("Failed to find the 'Main' menu. Something is wrong in the force!")

name="Python.Tools",
                                            # If you pass a type that is not supported Unreal will let you know,
                                            type=unreal.MultiBlockType.MENU_ENTRY,
                                            # this will tell unreal to insert this entry into the First spot of the menu
                                            insert_position=unreal.ToolMenuInsert("", unreal.ToolMenuInsertType.FIRST)
                )
                entry.set_label("YourMenuItemName")
                # this is what gets executed on click
                entry.set_string_command(unreal.ToolMenuStringCommandType.PYTHON, string=("from foo import bar;bar.main()"))
                # add a new menu called PyTools to the MainMenu bar. You should probably rename the last 3 properties here to useful things for you
                script_menu = main_menu.add_sub_menu(main_menu.get_name(), "PythonTools", "Tools", "PyTools")
                # add our new entry to the new menu
                script_menu.add_menu_entry("Scripts",entry)
                # refresh the UI
                menus.refresh_all_widgets()

main()
            Next thing I'm trying to tackle is ContextMenus, specifically making/adding menu entries/sub menus to context menus based on the asset type that is being called on (such as the Skeletal Mesh specific options when you right click on a SK mesh.)
            I've been trying to sort it out based off of how the C++ code does it but I haven't figured that out entirely yet
            Does anyone have an idea if you can setup a menu based on just a class type?
            Last edited by TooL; 06-11-2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Useful post, I was looking for just this information. Do you know if you can give the entry a python command instead of the command string? It would be good to be able to directly trigger a python method rather than have to execute a string.

Comment

As far as I'm able to tell it is only a string command. There is some other stuff in the docs that look to me like you should be able to give "ScriptObject" or something like that but I was unable to make it work myself. Personally I don't mind the string cause it's not the end of the world to me and I only make the menu at start up anyways (or reload etc)
                I'd love to find out if you can just pass the object itself though.

Comment

Working...
                X