Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assets sharing between unreal projects

Hi,
    I have question regarding asset management in unreal. I have content (materials, meshes e.c) that should be same for all my projects, lets say like common assets.
    So what would be the best way to share them, so when they are updated, they would update in all projects. Is there such possibility in unreal to link data somehow ?
    Or there is any other bets practice how to solve such issues ?

Thank you

Originally posted by UldisB View Post
    Hi,
    I have question regarding asset management in unreal. I have content (materials, meshes e.c) that should be same for all my projects, lets say like common assets.
    So what would be the best way to share them, so when they are updated, they would update in all projects. Is there such possibility in unreal to link data somehow ?
    Or there is any other bets practice how to solve such issues ?

Thank you
    The quickest way is possibly to copy/past the folder from Windows explorer, or to use a subversion system, possibly able to pull the master folder for all projects, I guess?
    Reallusion Unreal Engine Community Manager / LEGENDS of EPICA [Twitter] [Facebook] [YouTube] [Vimeo]

Comment

Hey, I'm not sure if you've found a good solution for this but I'll give you a small description of how I set up asset sharing.

At my studio, we have many projects (5 - 10 ish) being worked on simultaneously and they all share many of the same assets. All of our assets that we want to share are put in one of many plugins. Those plugins are all in a core game project, while all the actual game projects reside in the same top level folder. For each project that wants to use any of the plugins from the core, they modify their .uproject file to include the following:
      Code:
          "AdditionalPluginDirectories": [
              "../../CoreGame/Plugins"
          ]
      Once there, that project can now enable any of the plugins in core game.

In one of the engine updates a change was made that broke packaging for some products using this method, but since we build from source, I just made a few source changes to make it work. If you are not building source, you could just set up remapping with whatever source control you are using. A very nice thing about plugins is that they are extremely modular if you take care with them by not referencing anything external to the plugin. You can cut/copy/paste them around to any plugin folder without issue.

Comment

Working...
      X