Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q. Python just used for editor scripting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q. Python just used for editor scripting?

I have been searching on Google if Python is just for editor scripting in UE4, but I couldn't get an answer to that. So, I want to know if Python is just for editor scripting or can be used for something else.

Yes, it's for the Editor only. [Edit: I mean Epic's own "experimental" Python plugin.] From the docs:

Unlike Blueprints, the Python environment is only available in the Unreal Editor, not when your Project is running in the Unreal Engine in any mode, including Play In Editor, Standalone Game, cooked executable, etc. That means that you can use Python freely for scripting and automating the Editor or building asset production pipelines, but you cannot currently use it as a gameplay scripting language.
    But there is a 3rd-party plugin that lets you do both: https://github.com/20tab/UnrealEnginePython

Comment

DsyD Thank you for your response! I appreciate it because this was a lot of help! [EDIT: But where should I put this plugin?
      Last edited by Duibakjuk; 07-26-2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

The installation instructions for each of them are on the pages I linked.

FYI, another difference between them is that Epic's version uses an embedded version of Python 2.7. The third-party "20tab" plugin can use 2.7, 3.6, or 3.7, but you have to install Python yourself.

Comment

Working...
        X