X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic Editor Utility Widgets Feedback

Editor Utility Widgets Feedback

Editor Utility Widgets, new in Unreal Engine 4.22, allow you to modify the layout of the editor user interface and set up Blueprints just like UMG widgets. These are Editor-only UIs, and the current implementation enables you to create custom tabs that can be selected from the Windows menu just like existing Editor tabs.

And we'd like your feedback! How are you using them? What changes would you like to see? We want to hear it all!

If you haven't experimented with them yet, check out the documentation below or our recent livestream:

Editor Utility Widgets
    Editor Scripting How-Tos
    Creating Editor Utility Widgets Livestream

• replied
    It's a great feature! I'm using it in my RTX RayTracing easy global settings tweaker ( https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...ttings-tweaker ) and it allows me to have a panel with a lot of responsive buttons instead of classical call-in-editor custom events buttons, which are a chaos.

But it's true that they can crash very often. I have needed to made some workaround to prevent all those crashes.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello,
    First off, this is amazing! Didn't even knew i was waiting for this to be in till i actually tried it out.
    Here are a list of stuff i would be glad to have in:
    ○A blueprint node that can run python code would be amazing!|
    ○A table widget/dropdown etc so we can make and display data easily.
    ○Set Lod Preset should be made accesible from blueprints, right now you can only create manual lods for each step but i would like to have the option to just set a preset for it that will automatically generate those lods(this is available from Python)

Thanks and keep up the good work
    Last edited by Narsoi; 06-11-2019, 08:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Suggestion:
    I'm using Editor Utility widget to create custom Datasmith import functions. Currently I have some Editable Texts inputs where the user can paste file path for the import (ex. c:/MyFolder/MyFile.udatasmith). This is working but it would be great if we had some sort of integrated widget that could open a Windows explorer import dialog, where the user can select the file to import, and this would return a string with the file path.
    Last edited by Francis Lavergne; 06-10-2019, 02:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Spoondog View Post

That works if you are right-clicking in the widget, but not for detecting a right-click in the viewport (which is what Night Watcher was asking about).
    Ah I see! Thanks for clearification.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey, is it possible to access default values of another blueprint using editor widgets? Kind of like the "Apply Instance Changes to Blueprint" menu option that is there on an instance, except I'd like to modify the default values using the editor widget. Great feature btw

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I made a editor widget that collects objects of some types and populates a list so I can avoid the clutter of the world outliner and have a place to easily select certain key types. It all works great but if I load another level when the list is populated the editor crashes with an exception on CheckForWorldGCLeaks. This is probably because I still have references to objects in my list and the GC can't clean up the level properly. The question is, how can I clean up my list on or before level load? is there any functionality or work around for this?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Another small request:

Could we get a node similar to "Get Selected Assets" that returns Asset Data structures instead of the objects themselves? The problem is, using "Get Selected Assets" has to actually load the assets, which makes things very slow when, for example, populating a dropdown with asset names. If we had one that returned asset data instead from the registry then we can choose whether to load or not.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Woo! Thanks for the update, Lauren. I hope you're talking about 4.23.

I saw on the roadmap that some updates are coming in 4.23, but there were no details.
    Last edited by pfist; 05-29-2019, 02:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The variables/better asset picker/easier way to expose properties is coming in a future update!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I managed to add thumbnails for materials to my EUW, in a very roundabout way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture_euw_thumbnails.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1625180

It works "ok", but has issues:
    • It doesn't know to wait until a material has finished loading & compiling shaders (so it'll just be default tex thumbnail if the material isn't a loaded one)
    • I have to spawn a scenecapture actor with a quad, in order to capture thumbnails for lit materials (which temporarily changes the selection)... so it's a bit of a hack.
    • It looks different to the content browser thumbnails and won't work with all materials

Feature request: A "Get Asset thumbnail" (or "Render Asset thumbnail to Render Target" node, if the thumbnail isn't safe to access), so we can use the engine's built-in thumbnailing instead to do this kind of thing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kidox18 View Post
    Hello "Night Watcher",

Not sure if this helps or if it only works in GamePlay but am refering to your "right mouse button".
    Check my attached screenshot.
    Basically in the override function "OnMouseButtonDown", in the widget it uses node "GetEffectingButton" key and compares it with the chosen key of the compare keys. If they're equal, right mouse button is pressed.
    That works if you are right-clicking in the widget, but not for detecting a right-click in the viewport (which is what Night Watcher was asking about).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Theses tools are really great!

What i would like to see:
    -easy way to debug blueprint code and see variables of a Editor utility widget. (Maybe i miss something here but right now i mirror variables to a blueprint in world for debugging purpose)
    -have a Blueprint node to run Python code

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Night Watcher View Post
    After watching the livestream I started experimenting with Utility Widgets and I am starting to face a few challenges.

-How can I detect the right mouse button is down? So far only found an event to detect when the mouse clicks the widget, but I need to know if the mouse is pressed anywhere in the viewport.
    -I want to convert the mouse position from screen to world, but I can't without a player controller, get player controller returns null since it's in-editor, and get widget owning player also returns null, any workaround?
    -Set simulate physics does change the checkbox of simulate physics, but the object does not simulate physics when I hit play, I have to check and uncheck the object manually again for it to work.

Having access to the mouse world location and click, I can start creating a brush and paint items in the scene.

Hope you find this feedback useful, and thanks in advance for the help.

Hello "Night Watcher",

Not sure if this helps or if it only works in GamePlay but am refering to your "right mouse button".
    Check my attached screenshot.
    Basically in the override function "OnMouseButtonDown", in the widget it uses node "GetEffectingButton" key and compares it with the chosen key of the compare keys. If they're equal, right mouse button is pressed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kidox18; 05-25-2019, 09:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Oldsiren View Post
    Another suggestion would be for an eye dropper type of tool or widget for editor utility widgets incase we only need to select one actor in the level for something, or a specific type of actor.. that would be nice
    I agree to this. Maybe am not understanding the public variables but it would be good to basically have public variables as in the details panel of an actor i.e. Actually making a customized details panel via Editor Utility Widget.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X