This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shadow.Storm View Post

Probably for this case I would make a function to call on those actors, and call that when you construct the actors but also make it available to be called from your Editor Utilities.
    This is almost, but not quite, an okay solution for me. I've hit a bug:

if your Actor has a Call-In-Editor function (MyFunction) which spawns a Child Actor using a Child Actor Component, that Child Actor's ConstructionScript will run only if MyFunction was not called from an Editor Utility Widget. That is, clicking the MyFunction button in the Actor's details panel works fine, but if you call that same function on the selected actor from an Editor Utility Widget, the newly-created child actor's ConstructionScript will not run.

EDIT: This also happens for non-Child Actors. Any Actor created by the Actor having the function called on it won't run its ConstructionScript if the function was called from an EditorUtilityWidget. I was able to work around this by giving every actor a Generate function instead of ConstructionScript, and calling that through an interface. Seems alright!
    Last edited by JoeWintergreen; 09-14-2019, 06:46 PM.
    Impromptu Games|dev blog|twitter|itch.io store|Patreon
    Impromptu Procedural Ladders|Impromptu Procedural Handrails|Impromptu Procedural Stairs
    |Impromptu Fire Propagation|InFlux Example Game|Impromptu Vector Field Painter

Comment

Originally posted by scha View Post
      Hi, quick question.

In the editor widget, I don't find SetActorSelectionState bp node anymore.

How do you change selection in 4.23 editor utilities?

edit: I found this in the docs, but I don't see it in autocomplete. I only have GetSelectioSet and GetSelectionBounds.
      https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ate/index.html
      Btw, I found it, it's in the Editor Scripting Utilities plugin now, which is disabled by default.
      Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
      Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System
      TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

Comment

Sorry if this has been said, but, in old blutilitys, when you expose a variable on spam, you could set that variable in the UE widget, but with new Editor Widgets, I don't know how to set assets as inputs in the widget.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_173137.png
Views:	140
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1665574

Do you have any clue?
        Last edited by OrsHerrero; 09-17-2019, 06:31 AM.

Comment

I just noticed another difference between the old system and the new one: spawning new Actors from an Utility widget will not call the Actor's construction script. In 4.22 it was called.
          I think the new way is kinda wrong, no?

Comment

Another problem: If you have a category and a sub-category in actor properties, like "Paint Material" and "Paint Material | Private", then when you use Details View with some "Categories to Show" specified, the sub-category will always be shown. Like, for example, I have Details View for "Wall", and it shows "Paint Material | Private" too.
            Attached Files

Comment

I just noticed another difference between the old system and the new one: spawning new Actors from an Utility widget will not call the Actor's construction script. In 4.22 it was called.
              I think the new way is kinda wrong, no?
              I agree that this seems like there is an issue here, and we'll look into it on our end. Thanks for letting us know!

Comment

Originally posted by OrsHerrero View Post
                Sorry if this has been said, but, in old blutilitys, when you expose a variable on spam, you could set that variable in the UE widget, but with new Editor Widgets, I don't know how to set assets as inputs in the widget.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_173137.png
Views:	140
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1665574

Do you have any clue?
                scha's example with the details view (or single property view) is the intended workflow here - we don't want you to have to make your own asset dropdowns but all UI is meant to be in Editor Utility Widgets now.

Comment

Another problem: If you have a category and a sub-category in actor properties, like "Paint Material" and "Paint Material | Private", then when you use Details View with some "Categories to Show" specified, the sub-category will always be shown. Like, for example, I have Details View for "Wall", and it shows "Paint Material | Private" too.
                  Thanks for letting us know! We'll look into this.

Comment

scha's example with the details view (or single property view) is the intended workflow here - we don't want you to have to make your own asset dropdowns but all UI is meant to be in Editor Utility Widgets now.
                    Thank you, I'll try following that.
                    Can you show a little how to use detail view? I'm not finding enough documentation to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by OrsHerrero View Post
                      Can you show a little how to use detail view? I'm not finding enough documentation to make it work.
                      Okay, so I had my old BP_Builder blueprint, which was a GlobalEditorUtilityBase, then I created a new BP_Builder_Widget, which is a EditorUtilityWidget, copyied all properties and functions from the old one to the new one using this plugin (I couldn't just reparent for some reason). Then in the widget designer I use "Details View" sub-widget, and I initialize it by giving "Self" to the "SetObject" function of the detail view, so it will be able to show the properties of the BP_Builder_Widget itself. Also, I specify which categories to show in the "Categories to show" property of the Details View. I actually made a UI with tabs, like you see above, and every tab have one detail view for one category.
                      Then for the call-in-editor functions, I just made a button for each, and put them under the Details View, again like you can see in the pic in the post above.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by scha; 09-18-2019, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Okay, so I had my old BP_Builder blueprint, which was a GlobalEditorUtilityBase, then I created a new BP_Builder_Widget, which is a EditorUtilityWidget, copyied all properties and functions from the old one to the new one using this plugin (I couldn't just reparent for some reason). Then in the widget designer I use "Details View" sub-widget, and I initialize it by giving "Self" to the "SetObject" function of the detail view, so it will be able to show the properties of the BP_Builder_Widget itself. Also, I specify which categories to show in the "Categories to show" property of the Details View. I actually made a UI with tabs, like you see above, and every tab have one detail view for one category.
                        Then for the call-in-editor functions, I just made a button for each, and put them under the Details View, again like you can see in the pic in the post above.
                        Yeah, thank you very much, the SetObject function was the key!

Comment

Several things that would be nice to have in Editor Utility Widgets:

- PrintString - Currently, using PrintString with the widgets doesn't do anything.
                          - SetTimerByFunctionName - Currently, using SetTimerByFunctionName also doesn't do anything.
                          - Having an OnSelectedActorChanged event so that blueprints can respond to selection changes in the viewport. Currently, there is no way to respond to a user selecting objects.

Comment

Hi, Ive been down the rabbit hole a little on the Blueprint utility widgets and am wondering where (if) I can access the source file location of any assets, I can access the paths inside the engine just fine, no issue. But I wish to be able to import a file, then based on that file - automatically load the correct textures for it.

Also, I was wondering if theres a fileDialog that can also be accessed via widgets, then use the path / filename / etc

Comment

Also, it would be nice to be able to right click on the tab of a Blueprint Editor Widget and find it in the content browser for further editing.

Comment

There is a Spawn and Register Node function that should be able to do this for you.
                                Thank you, it works correctly, but the function is not displayed when selecting the target "editor widget blueprint".

Get mouse Viewport mouse position in editor :
                                I have another question, the function to know the local position of the mouse in the viewport does not work in mod editor, however it works with an actor in mod simulation and play.
                                A new function could be useful to be able to create an overlay of world edition by the mouse, know the local position of the mouse in the world window, and know the FOV to apply to the edition camera, or otherwise a projection function "Project Vector direction in editor viewport".

New widget part :
                                I saw the new widget tool for details, but it might be better to have all the editor widgets and then combine them with the existing tools, that's what I wanted to do for my own project.

Blutilities type :
                                There are many new types of blutilities available, but we would need some explanation and detail to be able to use them.

Youtube Page :
                                https://www.youtube.com/user/cyberalien78

Smart Interactive Object100% BluePrint

Comment

Working...
                                X