This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey ! I love this tool.
    I'm trying to do a Game Designer friendly interface, with useful shortcuts, but i can't trigger events in other blueprints.
    Maybe i'm dumb, but this case never trigger :
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cf7b253ce0eb2aff0227aad1a1388ce2.png
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1658477

I've checked : Debug Script is valid

Comment

Originally posted by Christoufu View Post
      I've been working on a tool for a while, using Editor utility widgets.
      The WIP page of the tool is over here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...-unused-assets

I've collected all my feedback (features I thought were missing) as i was going through it, it's listed below. (this is all from 4.23)

Editor widgets are awesome, they're really close to being 100% there, if the biggest pain points were resolved.
      The biggest pain points were UI (creating editor specific UI, like tables with columns that can be resized and sorted, matching the editor style, dealing with listviews etc...), and being able to access a few more editor specific things.
      • Tables: we could really use a UMG element that is a proper table and has rows/columns that can be resized and sorted. (best example is the "statistic" window in the editor.)
      • Multi selection in a list view is either completely broken or only works with keyboard? You can't ctrl+click or shift+click to select multiple lines, but using the keyboard (shift + up/down) works.
      • Ability to use Data in ListView, not just objects. It might not make sense code wise, but the result is that I'm having to create a new Object class, with a variable that contains my data and have an instance constructed for every single item in my list, so that it can be added to the listView.
        These objects have no other use than working around the limitation. So it's kind of a waste, if we could directly use AssetData instead, there'd be no need for that object class.
      • Ability to call other tools from an Editor Widget, for example I would have wanted to call the Size Map tool from my BP and tell it to analyze a specific asset, or the reference viewer for a specific asset.
      • A way to use the editor UI style as a template, at least when making Editor Widget, so we don't have to always recreate the styles for every window, every button etc...
      • No access to detailed info on Assets (icons, thumbs, file size, parent material, location on disk,...) all that extra info that the content browser has when you use the columns view or hover on a file.
      • Having access to all of the editors icons, there are a few in the Engine content, but most viewport, content browsers and tools icons are not accessible.
      • Being able to have a custom right click menu that can be different depending on which element of the widget was clicked (if i right click the "path" of an item i get options to locate, but if i right click the name of an item i get options to "rename")
      • A way to register an editor widget to the editor window menu at a specific location or make it a button somewhere, not just appear in Editor Utility Widget.
      • A way for a plugin be made dependent of another plugin so users are warned, or automatically activates the required plugin.
      • A Blueprint to create or edit a collection in the content browser
      • A Blueprint to "Locate in Explorer"
      • A blueprint to delete an asset with the standard "Delete Assets" dialog. The current delete asset blueprint deletes the asset straight away without warning, and doesn't show the very useful "delete Assets" window that shows all references and allows you to replace them
      • Blueprints for file operations using built in UE dialogs for user to specify paths/names (like move, rename, create, pick file/folder etc...) there are BPs called "do... with Dialog" but they don't seem to do what the name suggests.
      • A Blueprint to "Fix up redirectors"
      • A Blueprint to get current selection or folder in Content Browser
      • Blueprint to output to Message log (not output log), and specify which category
      • A system dialog box popup (Are you sure yes/no, or a OK window)
      Thanks!
      The unused asset tool looks super awesome and helpful! Thanks for sharing it, and the feedback!

For editor styling, the 4.23 addition of the Single Property View and the Details view are what is currently planned. We totally would take a look at pull requests if folks want to expose other slate types, though! UMG is primarily still a game feature, so we don't have a ton of work planned for editor styling, etc. here.

Exposing functionality to Blueprint calls is ongoing work - and again, very open to pull requests here. We do have scheduled work to fix the "With Dialog" functions that were set up for unattended scripts but also need to handle the in-editor case.

We would like to do dialogs down the road, but that's not currently scheduled. You will be able to open other utility widgets from utility widget buttons, so you can at least make more nested tools that way.

Plugin dependencies should already be possible, but that would all be done in the .uplugin file.

Thanks!

Comment

Quick question, I have a GlobalEditorUtilityBase derived BP. In 4.22 it will show as a window with different buttons for call-in-editor functions. But in 4.23 it's not working anymore. When I open it it will just complain about "Run" function and that's it. Any way to make it work again?
        Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
        Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System Sale 50% off!!
        TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

Comment

Originally posted by westcut View Post

Mine always opens here
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	1655506
          When my widget opens, it crashes when i open a new level from the widget, reason being, the level can not load will the current map is open

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow.Storm View Post

Hi! So, as early as 4.22, we began enforcing a stronger line between editor code and runtime code. It's safe to reference runtime code in editor code, since you have to have it for things like Play In Editor testing. It's not safe to reference editor code in runtime code, as you may be trying to access data that doesn't exist and could crash, etc. You can reference a regular widget blueprint in an editor widget blueprint, but the case you are trying won't be supported.
            Understood, are the functions called from the viewport tool bar in the same situation? meaning, if want to call the functions like pilot camera in within the ediget widget is that possible? or will i be facing the same problems as runtime vs editor?

Comment

Hello ,

I did some tests under 4.23 with the new nodes, and I can't find a way to get the position of the mouse in relation to the viewport of the world editor.
              I explain myself, I would like to have the position of the cursor on the screen, the position of the camera in the world and the Fov apply to the camera to be able to create an edition extension of the world editor using a Widget editor utilities, for the moment it is possible to have the position, rotation of the camera but not the position and size of the absolute viewport display.
              I don't know if it's the use of Interactor class that should be used.

I would also like to be able to run "Widget editor utilities" via blueprint (as the right click and run), I can't find a node that allows it.

And one last thing, I would like to know if you have any documentation on additional classes to add to the blutilities, like ViewportInteractor ect....

Thank you...

Youtube Page :
              https://www.youtube.com/user/cyberalien78

Smart Interactive Object100% BluePrint

Comment

I noticed that using the Single Property View widget to change the value of a property on the widget itself (by setting the Object target as Self in the widget constructor) marks the current persistent world as dirty, since the widget's outer is the current world.

This is a pretty big problem since a lot of people on my project work in the same persistent on different sublevels and they get prompted to save the moment they click any Single Property widgets, when in fact they do not need or want to Save/Check Out the persistent level since they have not actually changed anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosium View Post

Understood, are the functions called from the viewport tool bar in the same situation? meaning, if want to call the functions like pilot camera in within the ediget widget is that possible? or will i be facing the same problems as runtime vs editor?
                  The viewport toolbar functionality should all be within the editor modules, so anything that is exposed to scripting there should be fine to call from Editor Utility Widgets!

Comment

Originally posted by CyberAlien View Post
                    Hello ,

I would also like to be able to run "Widget editor utilities" via blueprint (as the right click and run), I can't find a node that allows it.

There is a Spawn and Register Node function that should be able to do this for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Parent View Post
                      I noticed that using the Single Property View widget to change the value of a property on the widget itself (by setting the Object target as Self in the widget constructor) marks the current persistent world as dirty, since the widget's outer is the current world.

This is a pretty big problem since a lot of people on my project work in the same persistent on different sublevels and they get prompted to save the moment they click any Single Property widgets, when in fact they do not need or want to Save/Check Out the persistent level since they have not actually changed anything.
                      Interesting - thank you for reporting this, we will investigate it on our end!

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow.Storm View Post

The viewport toolbar functionality should all be within the editor modules, so anything that is exposed to scripting there should be fine to call from Editor Utility Widgets!
                        in that case, i have some issues with the functions that are available. when i call any functions that are being called by the viewport toolbar, it crashes my project and gives me an error regarding the following:

Can not open the new map because the current map can not been garbage collected.
                        Conflict with a shared pointer.
                        No errors-> Unhandled Exception.
                        Do not use engine flags (this is for internal use only). DO NOT USE.

Also, when the editor widget is left opened, it crashes, when i reopen my project. the window where the widget used to be would be empty, i would click on my button to open a new level, and it would crashed and one of the following errors above.

I would use the one of the following functions
                        ToggleGameView()
                        ToggleActorCameraView()
                        bool bLocked;
                        SetGameView()

Is there a certain process that I am missing to have the ability to call editor functions within my editor widget?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosium View Post

in that case, i have some issues with the functions that are available. when i call any functions that are being called by the viewport toolbar, it crashes my project and gives me an error regarding the following:

Can not open the new map because the current map can not been garbage collected.
                          Conflict with a shared pointer.
                          No errors-> Unhandled Exception.
                          Do not use engine flags (this is for internal use only). DO NOT USE.

Also, when the editor widget is left opened, it crashes, when i reopen my project. the window where the widget used to be would be empty, i would click on my button to open a new level, and it would crashed and one of the following errors above.

I would use the one of the following functions
                          ToggleGameView()
                          ToggleActorCameraView()
                          bool bLocked;
                          SetGameView()

Is there a certain process that I am missing to have the ability to call editor functions within my editor widget?
                          For this case, it's probably best to enter in a bug report and if possible, include your widget with a sample project so that your issue can be reproduced and debugged. Thanks!

Comment

Any chance of a node to run an Actor's ConstructionScript from an Editor Utility? I have a lot of actors with fairly elaborate stuff happening in ConstructionScript, and it'd be great to be able to have an Editor Widget change some settings on those actors and have them regenerate, without having to move the actor/change a setting on it to trigger the ConstructionScript.
                            Impromptu Games|dev blog|twitter|itch.io store|Patreon
                            Impromptu Procedural Ladders|Impromptu Procedural Handrails|Impromptu Procedural Stairs
                            |Impromptu Fire Propagation|InFlux Example Game|Impromptu Vector Field Painter

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWintergreen View Post
                              Any chance of a node to run an Actor's ConstructionScript from an Editor Utility? I have a lot of actors with fairly elaborate stuff happening in ConstructionScript, and it'd be great to be able to have an Editor Widget change some settings on those actors and have them regenerate, without having to move the actor/change a setting on it to trigger the ConstructionScript.
                              Probably for this case I would make a function to call on those actors, and call that when you construct the actors but also make it available to be called from your Editor Utilities.

Comment

Hi, quick question.

In the editor widget, I don't find SetActorSelectionState bp node anymore.

How do you change selection in 4.23 editor utilities?

edit: I found this in the docs, but I don't see it in autocomplete. I only have GetSelectioSet and GetSelectionBounds.
                                https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ate/index.html
                                Last edited by scha; 09-13-2019, 09:56 AM.
                                Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
                                Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System Sale 50% off!!
                                TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

Comment

Working...
                                X