X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hello ,

I did some tests under 4.23 with the new nodes, and I can't find a way to get the position of the mouse in relation to the viewport of the world editor.
    I explain myself, I would like to have the position of the cursor on the screen, the position of the camera in the world and the Fov apply to the camera to be able to create an edition extension of the world editor using a Widget editor utilities, for the moment it is possible to have the position, rotation of the camera but not the position and size of the absolute viewport display.
    I don't know if it's the use of Interactor class that should be used.

I would also like to be able to run "Widget editor utilities" via blueprint (as the right click and run), I can't find a node that allows it.

And one last thing, I would like to know if you have any documentation on additional classes to add to the blutilities, like ViewportInteractor ect....

Thank you...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Shadow.Storm View Post

Hi! So, as early as 4.22, we began enforcing a stronger line between editor code and runtime code. It's safe to reference runtime code in editor code, since you have to have it for things like Play In Editor testing. It's not safe to reference editor code in runtime code, as you may be trying to access data that doesn't exist and could crash, etc. You can reference a regular widget blueprint in an editor widget blueprint, but the case you are trying won't be supported.
    Understood, are the functions called from the viewport tool bar in the same situation? meaning, if want to call the functions like pilot camera in within the ediget widget is that possible? or will i be facing the same problems as runtime vs editor?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by westcut View Post

Mine always opens here
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	294
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	1655506
    When my widget opens, it crashes when i open a new level from the widget, reason being, the level can not load will the current map is open

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Quick question, I have a GlobalEditorUtilityBase derived BP. In 4.22 it will show as a window with different buttons for call-in-editor functions. But in 4.23 it's not working anymore. When I open it it will just complain about "Run" function and that's it. Any way to make it work again?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Christoufu View Post
    I've been working on a tool for a while, using Editor utility widgets.
    The WIP page of the tool is over here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...-unused-assets

I've collected all my feedback (features I thought were missing) as i was going through it, it's listed below. (this is all from 4.23)

Editor widgets are awesome, they're really close to being 100% there, if the biggest pain points were resolved.
    The biggest pain points were UI (creating editor specific UI, like tables with columns that can be resized and sorted, matching the editor style, dealing with listviews etc...), and being able to access a few more editor specific things.
    • Tables: we could really use a UMG element that is a proper table and has rows/columns that can be resized and sorted. (best example is the "statistic" window in the editor.)
    • Multi selection in a list view is either completely broken or only works with keyboard? You can't ctrl+click or shift+click to select multiple lines, but using the keyboard (shift + up/down) works.
    • Ability to use Data in ListView, not just objects. It might not make sense code wise, but the result is that I'm having to create a new Object class, with a variable that contains my data and have an instance constructed for every single item in my list, so that it can be added to the listView.
      These objects have no other use than working around the limitation. So it's kind of a waste, if we could directly use AssetData instead, there'd be no need for that object class.
    • Ability to call other tools from an Editor Widget, for example I would have wanted to call the Size Map tool from my BP and tell it to analyze a specific asset, or the reference viewer for a specific asset.
    • A way to use the editor UI style as a template, at least when making Editor Widget, so we don't have to always recreate the styles for every window, every button etc...
    • No access to detailed info on Assets (icons, thumbs, file size, parent material, location on disk,...) all that extra info that the content browser has when you use the columns view or hover on a file.
    • Having access to all of the editors icons, there are a few in the Engine content, but most viewport, content browsers and tools icons are not accessible.
    • Being able to have a custom right click menu that can be different depending on which element of the widget was clicked (if i right click the "path" of an item i get options to locate, but if i right click the name of an item i get options to "rename")
    • A way to register an editor widget to the editor window menu at a specific location or make it a button somewhere, not just appear in Editor Utility Widget.
    • A way for a plugin be made dependent of another plugin so users are warned, or automatically activates the required plugin.
    • A Blueprint to create or edit a collection in the content browser
    • A Blueprint to "Locate in Explorer"
    • A blueprint to delete an asset with the standard "Delete Assets" dialog. The current delete asset blueprint deletes the asset straight away without warning, and doesn't show the very useful "delete Assets" window that shows all references and allows you to replace them
    • Blueprints for file operations using built in UE dialogs for user to specify paths/names (like move, rename, create, pick file/folder etc...) there are BPs called "do... with Dialog" but they don't seem to do what the name suggests.
    • A Blueprint to "Fix up redirectors"
    • A Blueprint to get current selection or folder in Content Browser
    • Blueprint to output to Message log (not output log), and specify which category
    • A system dialog box popup (Are you sure yes/no, or a OK window)
    Thanks!
    The unused asset tool looks super awesome and helpful! Thanks for sharing it, and the feedback!

For editor styling, the 4.23 addition of the Single Property View and the Details view are what is currently planned. We totally would take a look at pull requests if folks want to expose other slate types, though! UMG is primarily still a game feature, so we don't have a ton of work planned for editor styling, etc. here.

Exposing functionality to Blueprint calls is ongoing work - and again, very open to pull requests here. We do have scheduled work to fix the "With Dialog" functions that were set up for unattended scripts but also need to handle the in-editor case.

We would like to do dialogs down the road, but that's not currently scheduled. You will be able to open other utility widgets from utility widget buttons, so you can at least make more nested tools that way.

Plugin dependencies should already be possible, but that would all be done in the .uplugin file.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey ! I love this tool.
    I'm trying to do a Game Designer friendly interface, with useful shortcuts, but i can't trigger events in other blueprints.
    Maybe i'm dumb, but this case never trigger :

Name:	cf7b253ce0eb2aff0227aad1a1388ce2.png
Views:	170
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1658477

I've checked : Debug Script is valid

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've been working on a tool for a while, using Editor utility widgets.
    The WIP page of the tool is over here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...-unused-assets

I've collected all my feedback (features I thought were missing) as i was going through it, it's listed below. (this is all from 4.23)

Editor widgets are awesome, they're really close to being 100% there, if the biggest pain points were resolved.
    The biggest pain points were UI (creating editor specific UI, like tables with columns that can be resized and sorted, matching the editor style, dealing with listviews etc...), and being able to access a few more editor specific things.
    • Tables: we could really use a UMG element that is a proper table and has rows/columns that can be resized and sorted. (best example is the "statistic" window in the editor.)
    • Multi selection in a list view is either completely broken or only works with keyboard? You can't ctrl+click or shift+click to select multiple lines, but using the keyboard (shift + up/down) works.
    • Ability to use Data in ListView, not just objects. It might not make sense code wise, but the result is that I'm having to create a new Object class, with a variable that contains my data and have an instance constructed for every single item in my list, so that it can be added to the listView.
      These objects have no other use than working around the limitation. So it's kind of a waste, if we could directly use AssetData instead, there'd be no need for that object class.
    • Ability to call other tools from an Editor Widget, for example I would have wanted to call the Size Map tool from my BP and tell it to analyze a specific asset, or the reference viewer for a specific asset.
    • A way to use the editor UI style as a template, at least when making Editor Widget, so we don't have to always recreate the styles for every window, every button etc...
    • No access to detailed info on Assets (icons, thumbs, file size, parent material, location on disk,...) all that extra info that the content browser has when you use the columns view or hover on a file.
    • Having access to all of the editors icons, there are a few in the Engine content, but most viewport, content browsers and tools icons are not accessible.
    • Being able to have a custom right click menu that can be different depending on which element of the widget was clicked (if i right click the "path" of an item i get options to locate, but if i right click the name of an item i get options to "rename")
    • A way to register an editor widget to the editor window menu at a specific location or make it a button somewhere, not just appear in Editor Utility Widget.
    • A way for a plugin be made dependent of another plugin so users are warned, or automatically activates the required plugin.
    • A Blueprint to create or edit a collection in the content browser
    • A Blueprint to "Locate in Explorer"
    • A blueprint to delete an asset with the standard "Delete Assets" dialog. The current delete asset blueprint deletes the asset straight away without warning, and doesn't show the very useful "delete Assets" window that shows all references and allows you to replace them
    • Blueprints for file operations using built in UE dialogs for user to specify paths/names (like move, rename, create, pick file/folder etc...) there are BPs called "do... with Dialog" but they don't seem to do what the name suggests.
    • A Blueprint to "Fix up redirectors"
    • A Blueprint to get current selection or folder in Content Browser
    • Blueprint to output to Message log (not output log), and specify which category
    • A system dialog box popup (Are you sure yes/no, or a OK window)
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Christoufu; 08-26-2019, 04:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Rosium View Post
    Is there a way to properly spawn the widget on button press or to add the editor widget to the main toolbar of the ue4 editor?
    Mine always opens here

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	294
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	1655506

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is there a way to properly spawn the widget on button press or to add the editor widget to the main toolbar of the ue4 editor?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can we have some UMG styling system and an Editor Style so these widgets can actually look like real editor tools instead of being totally out of place?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am wondering if anyone knows how to get references to actors that were spawned in runtime. I can GetAllActorsOfClass for actors that were placed in edit mode, but I cannot get actors that were spawned. Does anyone know how to do this?

I cannot use get actors in level as they can no longer be used in PIE.

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh it seems this might be getting fixed in 4.23 with the world context input being exposed on nodes. Getting the game world, and piping that into GetAllActorsOfClass allows you to get actors spawned in runtime.

I guess there isn't a way of getting actors from the game world before this change? Perhaps in code?
    Last edited by Clampy; 08-19-2019, 03:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SinkingShipEnt View Post

Editor Utility Widgets Cannot be used on Run Time which is the only way you'd be able to access a normal widget
    Sorry for the late reply, i lost this thread in my notes, I understand, i figured it would be a runtime issue. but i may have to disagree with you a little bit, i was able to call functions created within the editor widget into a regular widget through event dispatchers. you just need a way to save information.

if i may ask, would you know a way of the resetting a widget after you click "Run"?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Rosium View Post
    Out of the curiosity, Is there a reason why you can not call functions that there were created within the editor utility widget within a regular widget blueprint?
    Editor Utility Widgets Cannot be used on Run Time which is the only way you'd be able to access a normal widget

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Out of the curiosity, Is there a reason why you can not call functions that there were created within the editor utility widget within a regular widget blueprint?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey all so first of all editor widgets are my best friend atm, i do everything with them. There is one thing i would like added that i find is needed, The ability to create child bps through the widget, I know it can be done by making a factory but as it is already available through right clicking a similar func would be useful

Leave a comment:

Working...
X