Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to create game using BP + Python instead of BP + C++?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to create game using BP + Python instead of BP + C++?

Hi all,

I am proficient in Python as I use it daily for work (analytics). I have been using Godot to develop a 2D single player platforming game as GDScript is 'similar' to Python. I do not know C++ at all, and am not really looking to learn as I don't need it for work. I am looking to move to UE due to the massive amount of features that the engine provides over a smaller engine like Godot (even though Godot is very good in my opinion). I have heard while you can technically create a 'whole game' just using BP, especially for a single player game, you are bound to run into scenarios where you will need to code in c++. I haven't even started using UE yet so pardon if this question is asked often or has an obvious answer, but instead of coding those scenarios in C++, can you code it in Python? I am much more comfortable in Python. Are there any major limitations if you are able to code in python?

Thanks

Our Python plugin is designed for editor scripting, and won't build in a non-editor configuration as it requires editor-only meta-data to generate the glue bindings.

That said, it could work at runtime if you had a UHT plugin to dump out a blob of all the meta-data that the plugin needs, but you'd still be limited to only having a Python runtime for desktop platforms (Windows/Mac/Linux).

Comment

There are public Python plugins on GitHub (runtime, not editor) created by users.
      | Finite State Machine | Auto-Save Plugin | USQLite Plugin | Object-Pool | Sound-Occlusion | Anti-Cheat Plugin | Property Transfer Tool | Magic Nodes |

Comment

Python is more flexible than c++ and it has the capability to overcome c++, all that you can do with c++ can also be done with python and rather in much lesser amount of effort.

Comment

Working...
        X