Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrain in New Map

Hello all

i have created a terrain from a height map, i have the terrain exactly how i would like it, but now i have noticed a game breaking issue which would need fixing i have attached an image, when the terrain reaches a certain height i get this line all around. now i have checked the island map and its exactly the same, but they have the water plane sitting just above this line and the walk-able terrain is higher, in game anything below the line has a reflection like water ripples, and the particles you seen in the image, if i walk above this line the reflection go and so do the particles.

i would like to ask you if it possible to fix this or would i need to recreate the terrain with some sort of height offset. i hope there is an easy solution to this problem. i would like to make this much lower ( to where my water plane is now possibly )

Attached Files
    Creator of Mods and The ArkModding Server, Check out our Community

This has something to do with the water line parameter of the landscape material.

Basically that parameter tells the landscape where the sea water level is at in the z axis. Find it in your landscape material and reduce it to something a little lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Ditsov View Post
      This has something to do with the water line parameter of the landscape material.

Basically that parameter tells the landscape where the sea water level is at in the z axis. Find it in your landscape material and reduce it to something a little lower.
      Thanks i copied the default Mat_TheIslandWithMasks_Inst and renamed it to Mat_TheIslandWithMasks_Inst_UK (didn't want to edit the default one) told my terrain to use this new one, edited the waterline value, default is 100 i made this a negative value and i dont see any differences even with huge value like -1000 or greater, are negatives accepted ?

EDIT: default value is 100 if i raise then i see changes, if i make it 0 i see changes, anything negative seems to sit just at the same position as zero. looks like i may have to height offset the height map i was using to recreate the terrain.
      Last edited by garyh2012; 08-13-2015, 09:01 AM.

Comment

You should work with your own Material, not an instance of it.

Copy Mat_TheIslandWithMasks & IslandParameters to your mod and rename them.

After that edit the Mat_TheIslandWithMasks to point all Parameters of the material to your own IslandParameters.

Example node in the screen below :
        Click image for larger version

Name:	scrneditlandscapeparam.png
Views:	1
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	1083695

Comment

Thanks very much for the reply gain, i have done this now wait for shader compile, i can now see an actual value in the parameters. guessing i change local waterline and Water line so they have the required values i need?

New to Unreal Engine only started when i found ark could be modded.. Really appreciate you help btw

Comment

While you should still do it through the material in order to familiarize yourself with that part of the editor, I would like to point out for others that you can also just right click on the terrain in the view port -> transform -> uncheck the box to lock it's position. This lets you just drag the terrain up.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGuyNex View Post
              While you should still do it through the material in order to familiarize yourself with that part of the editor, I would like to point out for others that you can also just right click on the terrain in the view port -> transform -> uncheck the box to lock it's position. This lets you just drag the terrain up.
              Thankyou also, i actually didnt Know this and tried to move the terrain higher.. ahhh well we all have to learn some how..

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGuyNex View Post
                Sometimes i forget there is always an easier way to achieve things ^^ Thanks ThatGuyNex.

Comment

The simple is always the best moving the landscape is definitely way easier.
                  If you want to try my map you can find it at the link below
                  Founder of [Map] Terra Nova

So you want to make a map? (Tutorial)

My setup: Asus Rampage IV black edition, i7-4820K @ 4.20ghz, DDR3 1600mhz 32gb, Nvidia GTX 780 Ti, 2x 128gb SSD 8x3tb 7200rmp hdd's, 950W PSU

Streaming here whenever I work on my map http://www.twitch.tv/uzumi/

Comment

Depends on what you want to achieve. If you really want a detailed landscape material and effects (like water line) and customize it, It's better to use the material for this purpose. But if gary does not change a thing about the material, moving the landscape is the best option here.

Comment

well i changed the values in the picture i added to my last post and nothing happened, (copied z value from water plane) @Distov is there only 1 place in the material to change the IslandParameters? i renamed mine and told the material to use this , do i need to do anything else anywhere?

maybe moving the landscape is easier but then id also have to move everything i have already placed..

EDIT: There is 3 from what i have found, Re-compiling the shader and will update it that works :P
                      Last edited by garyh2012; 08-13-2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

yes there like 3 or more parameters to change. sorry i didn't mean to imply with my screenshot that there was only one to change.

Comment

yeah i just found the search function whilst im in the material and typed in collection param , this highlighted all areas that it need changing, there was 3 in this material.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted
                            If you want to try my map you can find it at the link below
                            Founder of [Map] Terra Nova

So you want to make a map? (Tutorial)

My setup: Asus Rampage IV black edition, i7-4820K @ 4.20ghz, DDR3 1600mhz 32gb, Nvidia GTX 780 Ti, 2x 128gb SSD 8x3tb 7200rmp hdd's, 950W PSU

Streaming here whenever I work on my map http://www.twitch.tv/uzumi/

Comment

Hi , anyone know how to block this effect out of an area ? for example in Underwater Caves ?

Comment

Working...
                              X