Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why does this faill only on dedicated server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fjb View Post
    No. I assumed it was a replication thing, so i was trying to erite the value and read it back but it seem to flatly refuse to let you change the weight of an aitem on a dedicated standalone server although it works fine on game server mode. I'm wondering if it's a bug in the server itself.
    Try adding a "SwitchNetAuthority" just after "Event Begin Play" and then link "Dedicated Server" and "Player Server" to "Get Class Default Object". This should cause the script to fire on both online and standalone servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Midas2112 View Post
      Try adding a "SwitchNetAuthority" just after "Event Begin Play" and then link "Dedicated Server" and "Player Server" to "Get Class Default Object". This should cause the script to fire on both online and standalone servers.
      I did try that. i even did a node for client which i've no way of knowing if it ever fired. For some reason, client never triggers on the development platform so i'm wondering if it does on the end platform. it's why i was trying to read it back.
      I put it in a loop in a macro so it would write and read back in if it wasn't the same write again. it made no difference. what i don't get is how it fails on weight but if i try stack sizes it works every time. Maybe i should try some other properies.

Comment

Originally posted by fjb View Post
        I did try that. i even did a node for client which i've no way of knowing if it ever fired. For some reason, client never triggers on the development platform so i'm wondering if it does on the end platform. it's why i was trying to read it back.
        I put it in a loop in a macro so it would write and read back in if it wasn't the same write again. it made no difference. what i don't get is how it fails on weight but if i try stack sizes it works every time. Maybe i should try some other properies.
        I just created a mod and learned a lot. In some situations, replication is literally dropped by UE4. Some is strictly client, some strictly server, some everything works. I'll give you a hint, structures and widgets can't execute server events (hitting a custom event set to server only runs it locally), but playercontrollers can execute events on the server. You'd might lose stackability, but you could try throwing your logic into a custom gamemode and running it on the server.

To see if something's running on server/client, you have to go to the graph when the editor is running and there's a "select debug object" option. If two things spawn, one is server one is client. The graph will say "Server Simulating" and light up the current path in orange if it's passing through. You could use this to study your loop.
        I will finish this mod.

Alchemy (A Full Blown Skill)

Comment

Originally posted by Huston850 View Post
          I just created a mod and learned a lot. In some situations, replication is literally dropped by UE4. Some is strictly client, some strictly server, some everything works. I'll give you a hint, structures and widgets can't execute server events (hitting a custom event set to server only runs it locally), but playercontrollers can execute events on the server. You'd might lose stackability, but you could try throwing your logic into a custom gamemode and running it on the server.

To see if something's running on server/client, you have to go to the graph when the editor is running and there's a "select debug object" option. If two things spawn, one is server one is client. The graph will say "Server Simulating" and light up the current path in orange if it's passing through. You could use this to study your loop.
          it's already done in a gameode as it's there that reading and writing seems avaialble. in the editor as previously stated it works fine. In fact, the only place it it doesn't work is the standalone dedicated server. there is nothing wrong with the logic. there is a factor here which seperated dedicated standalone servers from player servers and clients and that factor is stopping it working, only i don't know why or how.

Comment

It might only be replicating to the local client, which is you, even thought you're not "hosting" the server, your PC is. I know that singleplayer and non-dedicated will use the same save game slot directory at index 0 as a dedicated server run on your computer.
            I will finish this mod.

Alchemy (A Full Blown Skill)

Comment

Originally posted by Huston850 View Post
              It might only be replicating to the local client, which is you, even thought you're not "hosting" the server, your PC is. I know that singleplayer and non-dedicated will use the same save game slot directory at index 0 as a dedicated server run on your computer.
              I thought something siminlar so i tried it on a remote server. same issue.

Comment

Working...
              X