Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ark Modding Contest Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ark Modding Contest Question

    Hello forums! I was wondering if anyone knew some specifics regarding the rules for the new modding contest being put up by Alienware. I also made a post over there but wanted to cover my bases. Are items from the marketplace usable in this contest? It was pointed out to me that it could be seen as unfair to allow this, but I was given a free credit to the marketplace at some point and was unsure if this was given to everyone. I can definitely see where something like that could get out of hand, but also know that there are many pay sites out there where people can purchase premade things like materials that wouldn't be so easily tracked through the Epic launcher, (or all they would have to do is claim to have made them with no way to say for sure). Mainly I'm hoping someone can give me some official clarification on the contest's view of ownership/rights of things used in the contest. Thanks for any info you can give!
    hogscraper

    #2
    Originally posted by hogscraper View Post
    Hello forums! I was wondering if anyone knew some specifics regarding the rules for the new modding contest being put up by Alienware. I also made a post over there but wanted to cover my bases. Are items from the marketplace usable in this contest? It was pointed out to me that it could be seen as unfair to allow this, but I was given a free credit to the marketplace at some point and was unsure if this was given to everyone. I can definitely see where something like that could get out of hand, but also know that there are many pay sites out there where people can purchase premade things like materials that wouldn't be so easily tracked through the Epic launcher, (or all they would have to do is claim to have made them with no way to say for sure). Mainly I'm hoping someone can give me some official clarification on the contest's view of ownership/rights of things used in the contest. Thanks for any info you can give!
    hogscraper
    The rules are so vague its scary.
    DinoOverhaul X CLICK HERE

    Comment


      #3
      From the Official Rules.

      (i) is the original work of the Entrant;
      (ii) has not previously been submitted in any competition and has not won an award or prize of any kind;
      (iii) does not include trademarks, logos, or copyrighted material not owned by Entrant or material that is used without permission (including but not limited to company names, photographs, works of art, or images published on or in websites, television, movies, or other media) or that otherwise infringes or violates the rights of any third party (including but not limited to, copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets, logos, contract and licensing rights, rights of publicity or privacy, moral rights (i.e., droit morale), or any other intellectual property rights)

      Comment


        #4
        i would say that you can use them but i'm not sure ^^

        i don't see why not, you can found easily many free asset so why could you not use the one you pay for :s like shawn mentionned, just be sure that it is not something from a marks, like for example they will not accept it if you take gordon freeman from hl² and port it onto the dev kit but if it is something another created and distribute i really think it's ok ^^.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by wazalop View Post
          i would say that you can use them but i'm not sure ^^

          i don't see why not, you can found easily many free asset so why could you not use the one you pay for :s like shawn mentionned, just be sure that it is not something from a marks, like for example they will not accept it if you take gordon freeman from hl² and port it onto the dev kit but if it is something another created and distribute i really think it's ok ^^.
          "THE ORIGINAL WORK OF THE ENTRANT"

          This means it must be your items/creations being used in the mod you are submitting.

          Comment


            #6
            well they want to use your work to make a profit off of, therefore, materials licensed only to you would not be possible, they would also require to attain a license of assets
            , if instead it is all created by you, then the agreement is solely between you and them.

            "All Entrants hereby waive and agree not to assert any moral rights in and in connection with the Entry."

            iam a little irked by it, but not so much...
            i wonder, the 3d meshes i create for this, i can simply modify them and use them for my own works? (but not the exact replicate, i cede ownership of my entry)

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by TheRealAzrael View Post
              "THE ORIGINAL WORK OF THE ENTRANT"

              This means it must be your items/creations being used in the mod you are submitting.
              If that were the case, then using any of Studio Wildcards assets would also invalidate your work.
              --- Remote View CCTV - Here --- Arkhammer 40k (warhammer 40k total conversion in progress) - Here --- Gizmodian blade pack, modder's resource - Here
              Join me in the Ark Modding IRC: Server: irc.quakenet.org Channel: #arkmodding Or Here for easy web chat

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by BlueFreakQ View Post
                If that were the case, then using any of Studio Wildcards assets would also invalidate your work.
                As would pretty much everything generated from any tutorial out there if it lead to an exact copy of the previously created materials in that tutorial. And if changing those things slightly makes it original wouldn't editing the marketplace items be the same thing? The part that screws it up for me is that part i makes part iii irrelevant if taken literally and leaves room for interpretation if permission is granted to use the material. if both are taken literally. If I made an entire island from scratch but had one material that someone had created and gave me permission to use, would that invalidate my entry or would use of that material somehow make the island not my creation? I'm not talking about buying a weapons pack or models, converting to in game and entering that, but what if I created the models from scratch and used a metal type material I found on the marketplace? I guess my question centers around what they classify as own/permission and how the usage rights for marketplace items work. If I buy something from the marketplace I have a lifetime license to use that item even in commercial applications but I can't transfer ownership of the item. As a free mod for players to download I don't see that being in conflict but who knows from the wording.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I would say that anything included in the devkit itself is fair game. Anything that you need to import, needs to be your own work. I'm not really sure though. Some clarification on this would be nice. For now, I'm just creating my own assets, mats and using what is in the devkit.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    lol nevermind guess im wrong about this
                    Last edited by CaoMengde777; 08-17-2015, 05:41 AM.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      (iii) does not include trademarks, logos, or copyrighted material not owned by Entrant or material that is used without permission (including but not limited to company names, photographs, works of art, or images published on or in websites, television, movies, or other media) or that otherwise infringes or violates the rights of any third party (including but not limited to, copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets, logos, contract and licensing rights, rights of publicity or privacy, moral rights (i.e., droit morale), or any other intellectual property rights)

                      This clause could be up for quite a a bit of interpretation. Assuming that commercial rights are given upon purchase as permission, i would assume that you probably could use marketplace content legalistically.

                      (i) is the original work of the Entrant
                      This also could be interpreted in who knows how many ways. Whether they interpret this as "Work as whole" or all included content should be pointed out as well.

                      Overall, if you plan to use marketplace content, i would use it very sparingly and stray away from using blueprints from the marketplace.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        To be clear, we (or rather Alienware) are not gonna reject anyone for using Marketplace Assets. You own those for use in UE4 games when you buy them from Marketplace, it's that simple. You have the rights, they're yours for UE4 projects.

                        That said, you won't get an advantage in the Contest either, so use them as you need or as may help you, but no need to overwhelm your Mod/Map/TC with 'em

                        And of course, use all of our assets as you wish!

                        (Any FREE assets online are also fine, but only if they are completely free for Commercial works, not just non-Commercial works -- because as this a Contest with a prize, you may be deriving Commercial benefit from them)

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Well ****.. time to change my map name
                          If you want to try my map you can find it at the link below
                          Founder of [Map] Terra Nova

                          So you want to make a map? (Tutorial)

                          My setup: Asus Rampage IV black edition, i7-4820K @ 4.20ghz, DDR3 1600mhz 32gb, Nvidia GTX 780 Ti, 2x 128gb SSD 8x3tb 7200rmp hdd's, 950W PSU

                          Streaming here whenever I work on my map http://www.twitch.tv/uzumi/

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by StudioWildcard View Post
                            To be clear, we (or rather Alienware) are not gonna reject anyone for using Marketplace Assets. You own those for use in UE4 games when you buy them from Marketplace, it's that simple. You have the rights, they're yours for UE4 projects.

                            That said, you won't get an advantage in the Contest either, so use them as you need or as may help you, but no need to overwhelm your Mod/Map/TC with 'em

                            And of course, use all of our assets as you wish!

                            (Any FREE assets online are also fine, but only if they are completely free for Commercial works, not just non-Commercial works -- because as this a Contest with a prize, you may be deriving Commercial benefit from them)
                            Thank you very much for the response!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              lols my comments were held up by the moderators, as iam new to the forum, i made assumptions i guess

                              thats cool i guess, maybe i use some public domain textures to help me out... probably not, maybe?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X