Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to make graphical only mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to make graphical only mods?

I would like to make a mod modifying only the graphics of the game but i do not want the mod to change any of the gameplay mechanics and not overriding any bigger overhaul mods, is this even possible at this time?

What i want to access copy and clone are the following things:

1. The bloom in the engine and any and all post processing settings.
    2. The weathers of the map.
    3. The the fog in different weathers of the map.
    4. The water shader settings and their level of detail.
    5. The strength of the ambient occlusion.
    6. Turning on shadows on all the light sources.
    7. Access to underwater fog and others shader settings.
    8. Level of detail levels for different draw distances.

Is all this possible with the unreal editor without any custom programming?

"Is all this possible with the unreal editor without any custom programming?"

Do you mean without blueprinting/scripting anything in? I doubt it, but I could be wrong. From the hours and hours I've spent in the Dev Kit, I've never stumbled upon these sort of settings anywhere.

Pretty sure the Functions for this are not exposed yet either, but again not positive.

Some of these things ARE do-able without scripting but only if you we're to make your own map, or edit an existing one to modify it.

Comment

Originally posted by sinarisinestro View Post
      Do you mean without blueprinting/scripting anything in? I doubt it, but I could be wrong. From the hours and hours I've spent in the Dev Kit, I've never stumbled upon these sort of settings anywhere.
      Well without need to code anything like lua, shaders, or c++

Pretty sure the Functions for this are not exposed yet either, but again not
      positive.
      Well that is very sad as we do not have any good graphic mods yet.

Some of these things ARE do-able without scripting but only if you we're to make your own map, or edit an existing one to modify it.
      Well i am not making my own map i only want to edit the settings on the current one.

I have experience with Blender and 3D graphics in general but no programming skills.
      Last edited by Elias79; 08-03-2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Okay, well good news!

Also note, on August 13 we'll be releasing "Total Conversion" functionality, which will let you completely override all of the gamedata/game-assets directly, rather than subclassing them. You can even swap out the main menu and loading screens with this new system -- truly every file of the game except the executables! The only limitation to this Total Conversion system is that TC's can't stack -- you can only have one of them active, obviously, and it requires a game restart to switch them. However, TC's can have Mods active on them, and load custom maps, etc. We have used the new TC system to create "ARK: Survival of the Fittest", which we'll also be providing as a full example of how the TC system works

-Drake
        This should allow you to do most if not all of what you would like to do

Comment

Yeah the new Total Conversion system will allow you to simply replace any files of the original game directly. While Total Conversions can not be stacked with each other (due to potential for conflicts), it would be quite easy to make a Total Conversion graphics mod that swaps out the various graphics assets. And then players can apply any other standard Workshop mods on top of that

Comment

Working...
          X