Making your game moddable.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chariots
    Also paging Mr. [MENTION=8]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]. I know lots of people that are watching this thread like a hawk
    Hey, I'm pinging people on the status of this doc. Sorry about the delay, holidays and all that.
    Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
    Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

Just to follow up here. This is making progress, but still in the "soon" category.
      Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
      How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
      Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
        Just to follow up here. This is making progress, but still in the "soon" category.
        To put it on the table we plan on making our game moddable as well so when we get there can we come to Epic for assistance and expect the same level of love as Epic has shown Ark?

Not asking for much except to share the love.
        Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Comment

Please make a mod tutorial quick , i have search long time on the web, but only find some outdated info about modding.Tom looman 's tutorial seems not working on UE4.14, when i package the DLC, UAT always failed to update some resource, i searched the answer hub,the only answer is tell me to use github version engine. This is wired! Why can't the Launcher version can't properly package DLC? I need a real good toturial on this topic.

Comment

Any updates on this?

Comment

Bump... Been waiting literal years for this lol

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Yeah it's been literally two years now. Is this going to be another bold promise that never actually happens ?
                  Helium Rain, a realistic space opera - Full C++ sources available - Steam Greenlight | /r/unrealengine

Comment

Would this be related as to why my game won't find any assets that are added after packaging? I made a function that reads uassets in a folder, and it gets the files that are in the game when I made the editor. But after packaging, uploading to steam and downloading, then adding 2 extra assets to the location (Without ticking Use Pak File), the game won't read those 2 extra assets.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...aged-game.html

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-packaged-game
                    Musical Range VR | Musical Range Trailer | Pausing Game On Steam Overlay | Aperture Tag

Comment

Hey [MENTION=8]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION] are there any updates on this in light of the recent activity with Conan? It seems like Conan gives access to the entire game contents and an essentially unmodified editor. Personally, my major concern here is how to do this safely, without the end user being able to easily migrate my assets to their own project, or introduce c++ code that accesses the file system, or dish out steam achievements, etc. Currently, afaik we would have to release the source for any editor changes we make, which would immediately invalidate any security measures we could take on our own, not to mention the fact they could simply open the (apparently unpackaged?) .uassets in the standard editor
                      Last edited by cl4ws0n; 02-17-2017, 05:58 PM.

Comment

I can't really check the custom editors from the launcher, my pc will explode.

I hope we have some news at GDC, regarding modding.

But then again, it is still complicated with licensing of certain assets.

But anyway i would love to have mods support for my games, even if they are not in the same caliber/budget of Conan Exiles, Ark etc.

But for smaller teams or one man projects, better support/documentation, from Epic, regarding custom editors and modding would be extremely helpful.
                        Pandora Entertainment
                        github.com/PandoraEntertainment
                        [PLUGIN][FREE] AdColony, AppLovin, Chartboost, UnityAds, Vungle, Sharing, OneSignal, Facebook, Everyplay.

Comment

Originally posted by cl4ws0n View Post
                          Hey [MENTION=8]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION] are there any updates on this in light of the recent activity with Conan? It seems like Conan gives access to the entire game contents and an essentially unmodified editor. Personally, my major concern here is how to do this safely, without the end user being able to easily migrate my assets to their own project, or introduce c++ code that accesses the file system, or dish out steam achievements, etc. Currently, afaik we would have to release the source for any editor changes we make, which would immediately invalidate any security measures we could take on our own, not to mention the fact they could simply open the (apparently unpackaged?) .uassets in the standard editor
                          In regards to this Bioware did this with a few of their games (mainly NWN1 & 2 <= Obsidian modified for NWN2) and there were not many issues with art assets being pilfered. The game hobbyists simply wanted to make content and paint their adventures in the toolset provided. You could say similar things of Skyrim and Fallout 4. Indeed there are the lowlifes that steal art for their own uses but there is nothing that really can be done about that....they will always be present and making something so locked down only inhibits the modding process in the first place.

Modding has been on the palette for my designs in both Unity 4 and 5 (extremely difficult to implement and very fragile) and now in UE4 (wiki shows how it can work => https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Moddin...gine_4_project) but it is definitely not the smooth process Bioware had with HAK and 2DA files. Yes combining 2DA files was a pain and NWN2 did some things to make HAK files much easier but in general the system is really amazing.

The UE4 dream would be to have 1 folder dedicated to modding...built in...call this Mods. Then under this modders can make 1 folder per mod. Everything associated with that mod goes into that folder. Mods would be specific to the developer so getting each mod to work in that particular game would need to be done in that game project and not in a general UE4 made project.

Now as to exporting the mod so that it will work in the actual game play (or available from Nexusmods or Steam for Free) could be a PAK or DAT file that is nothing but binary data inside that is useless unless imported into the UE4 game project it was made in. In fact if UE4 was enabled for Modding (which it kind of is already) could create a Content PAK that could be loaded into the UE4 editor so that modders can play away with the game project and create mods but are unable to export the uassets from the engine. Perfectly acceptable and keeps all but the most stalwart lowlife out of the original files.

NWN1, NWN2, and Skyrim among others are still going today because of excellent modding support. I have played a lot of hours in ARK but not many in the un-modded version...there are excellent mods for it but ARK is far too rough to mod in. Having a universal UE4 export mechanism that game devs can follow that is simple enough for these devs to create their specific workflows from would make UE4 projects with modding intent a real haven for the modding communities.

Comment

With the recent Robo Recall modding videos I think is time to bump this thread.

Comment

Yey! +1 it's really difficult to reverse engineer Robo recall

Comment

Hey, I put together some example code for modding in Unreal without engine customization: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ation-Required I'd love some feedback if anyone has a chance to take a look.

Comment

Working...
                                X