Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Functioning UE4 Modding Example Code - No Engine Customization Required

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Functioning UE4 Modding Example Code - No Engine Customization Required

    https://github.com/smogworks/ModSkeleton

    Hi All,

    I put together the above example after a week of pretty painful trial and error. It's by no means perfect, but it at least works!

    I'd love some feedback and help making it better going forward.

    I think at this point, I've read everything on the internet that has the words "Unreal" and "Mod" in it, but one of the most helpful was https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ets-at-Runtime

    #2
    I thought I'd give your code a try, but can't get past step 8 in your instructions to get started. You say to; Execute the "ModSkeletonExamplePluginA" launch profile for you platform, however I don't see a ModSkeletonExamplePluginA launch profile. I've enabled the mod plugin as indicated. The only thing I have in the Project Launcher is the ModSkeleton project in the dropdown to the top left. There are no custom launch profiles and if I try to create one, there is no options for the mod plugin. So I'm at a loss. I'm probably missing something simple.

    Comment


      #3
      D'oh! Are you on a Mac? I have only tested with Windows so far. I'll see if I can get the macOs launch profiles uploaded today.

      In the mean time, I followed https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Moddin...gine_4_project verbatim for creating them. Just be sure the "Name of the dlc to build." is "ModSkeletonExamplePluginA" in the second profile.

      Comment


        #4
        So, I got it working on macOS... turned out I had broken some BP struct make nodes with a code change at some point...

        ALAS! It turns out custom launcher profiles are not stored in the project folder, and so, are not included in source control. Does anyone know how to share launcher profiles??

        Comment


          #5
          Ah no, I'm not on a Mac. Just on good ol' Windows 10. I did look at Tom's out-dated write up too, but I'm not seeing anything like that in the Project Launcher. There is no custom profiles and no mention at all of ModSkeletonExamplePluginA anywhere.

          Originally posted by neonphog View Post
          It turns out custom launcher profiles are not stored in the project folder, and so, are not included in source control
          This probably has something to do with why I can't see the custom launch profiles. I've never used the project launcher before, so I have no idea how to share launch profiles. Perhaps you should open a question on answer hub about it?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by neonphog View Post
            Does anyone know how to share launcher profiles??
            OK, so I just did a bit of research into this and it seems like 4.14 is installed in the Program Files (x86) folder while 4.15 is installed in the Program Files folder. I'm not sure if this is the case for everyone, but it is on my system, so I'm guessing UE changed from 32 bit to 64 bit between 4.14 and 4.15. Anyway, this recent answer hub question shows the actual path to the custom launch profiles. I created a test launch profile and sure enough, it appeared in said folder. This is where I found it.

            C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.15\Engine\Programs\UnrealFrontend\Profiles\TEST PROFILE_BF616F4F4B56CD1964B2C0A9C039EC4F.ulp2

            So I'm guessing you will have some launch profiles in the same location on your system. Perhaps it will be a manual step then to upload them to source control and then others will just have to copy and paste them to the correct location as indicated in the answer hub post.

            Comment


              #7
              Hey, can you give a run down of how your mod system works? I am trying to get the game to just simply read uassets that are added by users later on a specific folder. Like, expanding the list of available songs in my game, and the game just reads and plays those.

              https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-packaged-game

              Would your mod system be of use to my case?
              Musical Range VR | Musical Range Trailer | Pausing Game On Steam Overlay | Aperture Tag

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by wilberolive View Post
                I did look at Tom's out-dated write up too, but I'm not seeing anything like that in the Project Launcher. There is no custom profiles and no mention at all of ModSkeletonExamplePluginA anywhere.
                Many apologies! I'll post up-to-date instructions for creating the profiles. They can also then have specific instructions for this project.

                Originally posted by wilberolive View Post
                I created a test launch profile and sure enough, it appeared in said folder. This is where I found it.

                C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.15\Engine\Programs\UnrealFrontend\Profiles\TEST PROFILE_BF616F4F4B56CD1964B2C0A9C039EC4F.ulp2

                So I'm guessing you will have some launch profiles in the same location on your system. Perhaps it will be a manual step then to upload them to source control and then others will just have to copy and paste them to the correct location as indicated in the answer hub post.
                Thanks for looking in to that! It seems like a bit of an engine failing to require users to muck with system directories (potentially affecting ALL their Unreal projects) to share custom profiles. Let me see how writing up the instructions for manually creating them goes. Perhaps it will be trivial enough to just stick with that.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Motanum View Post
                  Hey, can you give a run down of how your mod system works? I am trying to get the game to just simply read uassets that are added by users later on a specific folder. Like, expanding the list of available songs in my game, and the game just reads and plays those.

                  https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-packaged-game

                  Would your mod system be of use to my case?
                  Yes, I think it might : ) I'll post a more detailed answer on your thread.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by neonphog View Post
                    Yes, I think it might : ) I'll post a more detailed answer on your thread.
                    Huge thanks! Will check it out and try to comprehend it. I hope I am proficient enough. Would you mind trading emails just in case?
                    Musical Range VR | Musical Range Trailer | Pausing Game On Steam Overlay | Aperture Tag

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Absolutely! Though I'm not sure I understand this forum system. Is there a way to send a PM? I sent you a friend request...

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by neonphog View Post
                        Absolutely! Though I'm not sure I understand this forum system. Is there a way to send a PM? I sent you a friend request...
                        I just accepted you and PM'd my email, Steam and Skype (Skype info is on the side)
                        Musical Range VR | Musical Range Trailer | Pausing Game On Steam Overlay | Aperture Tag

                        Comment


                          #13
                          This only works for 4.15? I am running 4.14 and it failed to open the UProject.
                          Musical Range VR | Musical Range Trailer | Pausing Game On Steam Overlay | Aperture Tag

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by neonphog View Post
                            Many apologies! I'll post up-to-date instructions for creating the profiles. They can also then have specific instructions for this project.
                            Great, can't wait. I had a go at creating a custom profile myself but got totally lost in the options. I can't believe project specific profiles are not stored with the project, so it would seem when you upgrade your project to a new UE version, you lose custom profiles across all your projects then. Crazy! Perhaps this should be featured requested to Epic?

                            Originally posted by Motanum View Post
                            This only works for 4.15? I am running 4.14 and it failed to open the UProject.
                            I believe so. The readme on the GitHub project states it targets 4.15, so you might need to look into upgrading your project first.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Ok, I published instructions with screenshots for creating the custom launcher profiles: https://github.com/smogworks/ModSkel...ld_profiles.md

                              They are linked to in the main README.md instructions on the repo. Let me know if anything can be clarified!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X