Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's going on with Unreal Engine and Apple Silicon Mac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's going on with Unreal Engine and Apple Silicon Mac?

In the WWDC 2020 - Platforms State of the Union, there is a 5 minute Unity show said they are so good running on the next coming apple silicon Mac. But not mentioned Unreal Engine at all?

As a UE4-iOS developer, I want to know what's going on?

UE5 will launch on 2021, same as silicon Mac. Will UE5 running on the Silicon Mac, How? something like mono? (I hope it will doing better than mono...)

or UE5 will only running on the X86-PCs and do the remote building for iOS only?

Any hint for us ios-developers?

I am as well very curios how Epic will handle this. Any information?

Comment

I think the reason Unity was there, is that they started on the Mac, and originally required Macs for development. Thus, they have a cultural attachment to the Mac developer community.
      Unreal builds on the current MacOS (source level,) and also builds on Linux (source level,) as well as on ARM for both iOS and Android, so worst case, you can re-compile it yourself.
      Obviously, if there are SDKs that are needed but not available, then you can't use those. PhysX might be in this camp, perhaps?
      We'll see how well the ARM Macs go with the game playing public. It may be great. It may also be the death of gaming for MacOS. We don't know yet!

Will UE5 running on the Silicon Mac, How? something like mono? (I hope it will doing better than mono...)
      Mono has nothing to do with running Unreal. Mono is a runtime for the C#/.NET/CLR environment, that Unity uses to run their C# code.
      Ironically, Microsoft now owns Mono, as well as the C# CLR and the CLR Core. Gotta love it when the same corporateion has multiple redundant technologies! (Similar to how Oracle owns MySQL...)
      Last edited by jwatte; 07-23-2020, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X