No announcement yet.

Need help with building for iOS...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are the options that are then available in the instance...

Attached Files

Comment

That should be ok. There's some edge cases where some math operations break runtime shader optimisations and give results that don't look smooth, this happens in particular with refraction shaders, but tiling won't trigger it.

It might be worth truncating the decimal from those values though. See if that improves it at all, I'm just guessing though. I suspect someone will come across the thread who knows what's up eventually.

Comment

Ok cool... I will do that and let you know what happens... Thanks again Antidamage.

PS. I had to look up what truncating the decimal means...

Comment

I did what you suggested Antidamage, and re-built, but it has not made a difference... I will replace the material with something else and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

I made a simple tiling material which also didn`t make a difference. One can see that the material is different but it is still very pixelated and the frame rate quite low and stuttering...

Comment

Is this always on a landscape object? What happens if you put it on a cube? Paste a screenshot of your material graph please.

I've also just noted that in the android and iOS screenshots the distant hills are using the same miplevel as the iOS screenshot has up close. There has to be a reason for that, either something is misconfigured or something is the wrong format for the iOS sampler.
              Last edited by Antidamage; 08-16-2019, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernessas View Post
                So, ANameTooLongToFi, to answer your questions.

1. Yes I am using a registered Apple developer account.
                2. I am not trying to use the remote UE4 tool on PC. I am trying to build straight from my PC . Seems that that is not feasible.
                3. I am working on a PC. But I have a late 2014 Macbook pro also.
                4. I am not using Xcode. But I do have Visual studio on my PC as well as Xcode on my mac. My project is BP only with extremely simple functionality.

What I don`t understand is why I get the message "remote compiling requires a server name", while I have a BP only project. It seems my provision and certificate are working. I am also now launching a clean first person project to my test iPhone six and it seems to be going swimmingly atm.
                Sorry for the late answer, glad you managed to get your project working but since I'm here, might as well clarify a few things regarding Mac.

As you know, Apple is very strict when it comes to their products so most of the stuff UE4 requires to build and deploy on Apple products requires doing it on a Mac.
                The remote UE4 tool allows to build/deploy on a PC by sending the workload to a remote Mac in the case you don't want to bother with using a Mac directly, though the certificates may cause problem that way.
                The simplest way to do it is the way you did by sending the project over to a Mac and building/deploying there, especially when it comes to the certificates since Xcode can handle them for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Antidamage View Post
                  Is this always on a landscape object? What happens if you put it on a cube? Paste a screenshot of your material graph please.

I've also just noted that in the android and iOS screenshots the distant hills are using the same miplevel as the iOS screenshot has up close. There has to be a reason for that, either something is misconfigured or something is the wrong format for the iOS sampler.
                  Hi Antidamage and others. Thanks for your insights and advice.

Is this always on a landscape object?

Yes, in this project, but only on Mac, does it do that. But these are not landscape objects. They are not really landscape objects. I found that performance improved drastically if I didn`t use landscape objects but created what I needed in Blender and then bringing them in. This means that they have the normal collision but I use complex as simple. Could that be the problem?

The material is truly just a tiling texture and normal map.

Attached Files

Comment

Alright, but is your material applied to a landscape? If so try swapping all the UV stuff for a Landscape Coords node. Don't forget to build your lighting even if the lightsource is dynamic.

Comment

No the material is not applied to a landscape. It is a plane. One that I made in Blender. It forms the center of a modular "landscape" system that consists of 9 pieces. The center plane can be walked on but the other 8 basically just act as a 3d backdrop.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Those textures came from the Starter Pack and they are only 2k in size, but there is a catch with the T_Concrete_Grime_D texture which in the starter pack is set to use LOD1 as default, resulting in just 1k, so that might be the contribution to the pixelation. Edit the texture inside UE4 editor and set the field LOD Bias = 0 (it should be with 1 as seen in UE4.21.2). Overall, the pixelation is probably because you will need a higher resolution texture, which can be fixed if you break the middle tile used as terrain (the one you made with Blender) in smaller pieces and use world position to align them (inside the material), so the final result will be better and a higher resolution texture will not tax your device too much.
                        Last edited by NilsonLima; 08-21-2019, 08:59 AM.
                        Nilson Lima
                        Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                        Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                        supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Antidamage , I am trying your suggestion now. If that doesn't work, I will Have a look and try to implement what you have suggested NilsonLima .

Comment

I think it's what NilsonLima suggested. Try using your own textures.
                            Last edited by Antidamage; 08-21-2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Hi Antidamage, NilsonLima I have made a bit of progress, but I have not built for iOS again yet. I would just like to run something by you.

I have chopped the center plane into 25 pieces, each 50m X 50m. I researched a bit and saw how to implement the World Position node in the material. Having done that, I have built lighting and it is looking ok, except for these weird artefacts that appear and disappear as I get closer. It seems to have something to do with LOD in some way because they are visisble from further away but disappear when I move closer.

Here is the node setup for the material...

I got this setup from the Unreal documentation.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I will upload a few screenshots in a moment. The ones I took were too big...

Comment

Working...
                                X