Sound Latency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Latency

I am writing a music game which needs to generate pre-determined sound patterns at varying tempo using sound samples, similar to a Midi synth. I found that when using the blueprints to play a given audio loop, the sounds being played would start playing with a varying delay causing the sound pattern to be slightly different on each iteration. Since this game is geared toward music enthusiasts, I need sound to be generated with < 10 ms timing precision.

Is there any way reliably generate precisely timed audio sequences in Unreal Engine or should I be looking at disabling the Unreal Engine sound output and use a custom-built native sound engine on each platform?

For such timing-sensitive task, I'd look into mixing and writing into an audio buffer in a different thread. Check how vorbis audio is decoded, it could hint at how to do it.

Comment

I'm having similar issues with all my audio recordings. I suggest using a faster processor but if you can get around it in any other way please let me know.

Comment

hello!

Late arrival to this thread but I'm wondering if anyone found any workarounds for the latency issue? Am experiencing something similar myself at the moment!

Comment

Working...
        X