Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is HTML5 fully supported? Why does launch fail?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is HTML5 fully supported? Why does launch fail?

Hi,
    I am trying to do a product demo in UE4. Packing to HTML5 , needs to work in Chrome,IOS most platforms. Is this a bad idea to try this? It needs to look nice, but cross platform blah blah. All of that. Advise appreciated.
    Thanks!

HTML5 still remains experimental and I believe there are a lot of problems with it working on Mobile. If you need to package for mobile I'd recommend the native app route which UE4 is fine at. If HTML5 is your primary target I'd consider something other than UE4. I've been using Babylon.js and it is great. Obviously the tooling doesn't compare but it's a very easy to use, stable and robust library.

Comment

Hi Rich ,

This remains a " really bad idea " —
      Until somebody at Epic comes up with a better HTML5 pipeline !
      I had a pretty bad experience last year trying to package a project
      created in UE4.12 and we ended up recreating the whole scene
      inside WebGL as it was faster , and worked.

The problem is with the HTML5 support using " Emscripten " to
      try and auto -magically " transcode " Unreal's C++ native code into
      Javascript which ends up being a real mess. I had a static scene
      that would not cook and would not display.

--

Better options : grab your assets and bring them over into
      a proper HTML5 / WebGL / Three JS based framework. It'll be
      quicker , faster at runtime and most importantly it will work ! They
      really should remove the HTML5 export from both Unreal and
      Unity 5.x as they don't work well and get no support.

--

This is interesting —
      Though still exports to UE4 runtime :
      [ https://github.com/ncsoft/Unreal.js ]

Cheers ,

— Chuan

Comment

Hello all, I ran into the same roadblock trying to export WebGL from Unity, ONLY works on Firefox on mac/PC. iOS NG. File sizes are large. So I tried (today) to see if UE would be the solution, it was worse and the basic FPS shooter project weighed in at 500 MB! in the HTML5 folder. All kinds of errors trying to play. So, I returned to Playcanvas.com, it's the closest thing to using Unity to develop and instantly you see your final published demo (game/etc.) in another web browser window, no compiling. The catch is you now have to bone up on the pure version of Javascript if you want to go beyond the many sample scripts available. You will have to export all your meshes as FBX (which you probably did already to get into UE) and upload to playcanvas editor. There is a short learning curve on using interface and it works with PBS and HDR lighting, very nice output with small file sizes. End product is either a link to your playcanvas account (free) or you can pay $15/$50 a month to have more control and download your projects as a self running package (well, actually the package has to be hosted on your webserver to run). Check it out-you won't be dissapointed. good luck, Ken

Comment

Hello everyone,

I have the same issue. I couldn't launch my html5 loucher properly. I will send you some screenshots first , so it will be much easier to figure out the issue. I have to export this game to HTML5. Any help will be highly appreciated.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	issue_export_html5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	1374734Click image for larger version

Name:	issue_export_html5_2.png
Views:	1
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1374733

Comment

It is weird. It seems that it start downloading the content but maybe few seconds later it stops and inform that it is not able to us be web browser. Here we have full logs

Attached Files

Comment

If someone had in the past similar issue please do not hesitate and sher with me an another UE4 engine users how you solved this issue. Have a great night guys. I am looking forward to hear from you.

Comment

Working...
              X