Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Climbing system that actually works?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Climbing system that actually works?

    Hi

    I want to buy a climbing system for my ue4 project. I bought the adventure kit but sincerely it has a lot of bugs and it doesn't fit my project, as i had to modify a lot the character.
    I just want to know which are the best climbing system available for purchase and which don't require that amount of tweaking for an in progress project. Two of the climbing systems that i know: AdvKit and Alex Climbing System are not flexible which means i should have started creating my project from one of their templates due to their complex scripting. I don't mind the price really, i just want something that actually works and it is easy to implement. One thing that i actually find funny and ridiculous is that on YouTube there are A TON of videos regarding all types of climbing systems with or without the ik bones, but they are totally useless! No commentary at all, no description, just a video for people to admire something... awesome...
    Please, if you know a climbing system reply it as i am looking forward to your replies.

    Best regards,
    Alex

    #2
    Hi Alex,

    I know of two community solutions you can look at:

    Peter L Newton's wall climbing tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QthdLYxqLEA
    Crocopede's ledge climbing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yjcwZLQqlE

    I just finished my first UE4 project and plan to make it available to the community for free. My template will include wall climbing (modified from Peter's tutorial), edge grabbing, zipline, rope climbing, etc. This will take me a few weeks but will be posted in the Community projects section of the forums.

    Even my template which is simple has significant coding in the character blueprint to make all those mechanics work. I'm afraid you may have to heavily modify your character bp to fit the mechanics. check out the tutorials and base your code on that, or wait for my template and you can copy / paste the solutions yourself.

    Hope this helps,

    -J
    [WIP] Procedural City Generator | RPG AI
    [MARKETPLACE] Animal Behavior Kit | Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool | Procedural Park
    [FREE] Modular Road Tool | Action Platformer Template | Radar BP | Free Birds
    Join our Discord

    Comment


      #3
      I posted a tutorial series some time ago as part of a true first and thirdperson project i did to learn UE4. Even though it's pretty old, it might have some elements you can use if you want to build it yourself.



      Towards Ep 18 i start with the climbing stuff. But just beware it's an old set of videos i did when i just started out with UE4 and the sound volume is sadly very low

      Later on i started out on a new climbing system, but that is sadly parked for now, since i don't have the money to buy decent mocap equipment to finish it. A short preview (yet another **** teaser) can be found here:

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by CoquiGames View Post
        I just finished my first UE4 project and plan to make it available to the community for free. My template will include wall climbing (modified from Peter's tutorial), edge grabbing, zipline, rope climbing, etc. This will take me a few weeks but will be posted in the Community projects section of the forums.
        -J
        Sorry to necro the thread but did you ever post this?

        I've come up with my own rudimentary climbing system based on all the resources I've found so far, but I'd love to know how other people are achieving it.
        Last edited by MetricZero; 09-27-2016, 01:07 PM.
        I have an affinity for the infinity.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by MetricZero View Post
          Sorry to necro the thread but did you ever post this?

          I've come up with my own rudimentary climbing system based on all the resources I've found so far, but I'd love to know how other people are achieving it.
          Hi MetricZero,

          I'm still working on it (cleaning up the code and adding proper comments). I'm hoping I can post it soon. I'll reply to this threat and quote you once I do so you know where to get it.

          Thanks for your interest!

          -J
          [WIP] Procedural City Generator | RPG AI
          [MARKETPLACE] Animal Behavior Kit | Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool | Procedural Park
          [FREE] Modular Road Tool | Action Platformer Template | Radar BP | Free Birds
          Join our Discord

          Comment


            #6
            yes please do!
            i have been looking for a parcor / climbing system (that works) for a while now
            [MENTION=193494]Jonas_Molgaard[/MENTION] - should i keep begging you for your stuff? lol ... man i have been after you for like a year now for your cover system and your climbing system.
            Founder and CEO of Angry Penguin Studio, LLC
            Dallas, TX USA
            https://www.facebook.com/AngryPenguinStudios

            Comment


              #7
              well, [MENTION=260104]Angrytoilet[/MENTION], the cover stuff is completely dead... it's totally based on Mixamo anims, and there by a no-go. I completely abandoned the project, so sorry.

              About the climbing anims, im about to re-start my animation work. Some time during the next month. I hope to be able to step it up and provide something that i can share.

              Comment


                #8
                Yeah man, thats awesome - I have your channel on follow and i have been seeing the work you have been doing. amazing really. very impressive. Have you started your own mocap animations? i thought i saw something a few months ago where you had started working on it.

                any chance you still have the stuff for the cover system?
                I started working on my own, but, the tuts i was following, twords the end of like 14 videos, they guy said they were not usable in multiplayer .. lol .. i have the cover system form the marketplace ... i just cant figure out how to use it in a multiplayer situation ...
                Founder and CEO of Angry Penguin Studio, LLC
                Dallas, TX USA
                https://www.facebook.com/AngryPenguinStudios

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thanks, well, i have the cover stuff still, but can't share it because of the anims and frankly im not really satisfied with that immense mess i made of it. Also i tried getting mine to work in multiplayer, and it didn't work either.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    lol - ok thanks Jonas!
                    I guess i will keep going with my "trial and error" method lol

                    /end thread hijack
                    Founder and CEO of Angry Penguin Studio, LLC
                    Dallas, TX USA
                    https://www.facebook.com/AngryPenguinStudios

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by CoquiGames View Post
                      Hi MetricZero,

                      I'm still working on it (cleaning up the code and adding proper comments). I'm hoping I can post it soon. I'll reply to this threat and quote you once I do so you know where to get it.

                      Thanks for your interest!

                      -J
                      You rock! I'll be keeping an eye out. And if I ever perfect my system I'll post it here too.

                      One of the leads I got was from a video a guy did of Wolf Link where he explains his ray trace system for climbing ledges. It seems much more accurate and fluid compared to using sphere traces for some reason. It'll take me a few days to flesh out a prototype using that method but I think that might be worth a go.
                      I have an affinity for the infinity.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Xanadron View Post
                        Hi

                        I want to buy a climbing system for my ue4 project. I bought the adventure kit but sincerely it has a lot of bugs and it doesn't fit my project, as i had to modify a lot the character.
                        I just want to know which are the best climbing system available for purchase and which don't require that amount of tweaking for an in progress project. Two of the climbing systems that i know: AdvKit and Alex Climbing System are not flexible which means i should have started creating my project from one of their templates due to their complex scripting. I don't mind the price really, i just want something that actually works and it is easy to implement. One thing that i actually find funny and ridiculous is that on YouTube there are A TON of videos regarding all types of climbing systems with or without the ik bones, but they are totally useless! No commentary at all, no description, just a video for people to admire something... awesome...
                        Please, if you know a climbing system reply it as i am looking forward to your replies.

                        Best regards,
                        Alex
                        Originally posted by MetricZero View Post
                        Sorry to necro the thread but did you ever post this?

                        I've come up with my own rudimentary climbing system based on all the resources I've found so far, but I'd love to know how other people are achieving it.
                        Originally posted by MetricZero View Post
                        You rock! I'll be keeping an eye out. And if I ever perfect my system I'll post it here too.

                        One of the leads I got was from a video a guy did of Wolf Link where he explains his ray trace system for climbing ledges. It seems much more accurate and fluid compared to using sphere traces for some reason. It'll take me a few days to flesh out a prototype using that method but I think that might be worth a go.

                        Hi Alex and MetricZero - I just posted my free template here - https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ion-Platformer.

                        This includes wall climbing, edge grabbing, rope climbing, sliding and ziplining among other things.

                        Hope this is useful!

                        -J
                        [WIP] Procedural City Generator | RPG AI
                        [MARKETPLACE] Animal Behavior Kit | Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool | Procedural Park
                        [FREE] Modular Road Tool | Action Platformer Template | Radar BP | Free Birds
                        Join our Discord

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by CoquiGames View Post
                          Hi Alex and MetricZero - I just posted my free template here - https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ion-Platformer.

                          This includes wall climbing, edge grabbing, rope climbing, sliding and ziplining among other things.

                          Hope this is useful!

                          -J
                          Hi CoquiGames and everyone! I am sorry i haven't posted anything else then the topic in this thread, as i have completely forgot about it and recently CoquiGames quoted me and i received an email about it. I watched your video and all have to say is that you did a great thing! I really want to see these systems finished. It is clear that you are onto something and it's great to see that you decided to share it with others so early. I would really like see this in the marketplace and buy it. Since you are opened, in a way that you can share your progress with anybody i would like to state some of my ideas of an ideal ''Parkour/Climbing System'':

                          - I saw many people interested only in the parkout stuff (e.g vault over something, sliding below objects and of course climbing) and they wished that specific package would include only these stuff and would have payed anything for it.

                          - If you can and it doesn't decelerate the project's progress i would like to see some support for a first person game. When i bought ADV KIT i was really excited that it somewhat included this but it was a complete mess. What i mean by this is that when the character reaches/grabs/is climbing the camera needs to be clamped so it doesn't go through your arms. It really isn't hard to make it as i have managed to do it, but as i mentioned it would be a great improvement to a first person climbing system. And if you try to do this and you get stuck i would be happy to ''recreate'' a function like this which clampes the angle of the camera and uses RInterp To to smooth the transition, and share it here.

                          -As i mentioned earlier, distinctive packs for each idea would make a difference and help you concentrate and focus more on finishing them more quickly.

                          -I think i saw a ''gravity circle'' in your video, which is similar to what ADV Kit has, but if you will manage to sort it out and get it working without making a plugin or such a complex and crazy stuff... count me in! And please include that in the possible future ''Parkour System''.
                          Last edited by Xanadron; 10-07-2016, 04:46 PM.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Jonas_Molgaard View Post
                            I posted a tutorial series some time ago as part of a true first and thirdperson project i did to learn UE4. Even though it's pretty old, it might have some elements you can use if you want to build it yourself.



                            Towards Ep 18 i start with the climbing stuff. But just beware it's an old set of videos i did when i just started out with UE4 and the sound volume is sadly very low

                            Later on i started out on a new climbing system, but that is sadly parked for now, since i don't have the money to buy decent mocap equipment to finish it. A short preview (yet another **** teaser) can be found here:

                            Hi Jonas_Molgaard! I think we have spoken before on YouTube, where i left you a comment on a similar video. As for this video (WIP7 - Climbing animations now with IK) it really breaks my heart to know that you stopped making the project but in the same time i am really jealous of your climbing system. I must i have haven't seen this stuff is really professional, i would totally buy it! Unfortunately (or not) i don't think i will include any climbing system in my game as i didn't find something complete and finished. I do have however an idea of a game that would have its basics on climbing and i would possibly start developing it somewhere in autumn 2017, which gives you guys more time polishing the systems If you can, please keep this thread informed about your system's release, as i am sure many are waiting for it! Cheers!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Angrytoilet View Post
                              yes please do!
                              i have been looking for a parcor / climbing system (that works) for a while now
                              @<a href="https://forums.unrealengine.com/member.php?u=193494" target="_blank">Jonas_Molgaard</a> - should i keep begging you for your stuff? lol ... man i have been after you for like a year now for your cover system and your climbing system.
                              Originally posted by Jonas_Molgaard View Post
                              well, @<a href="https://forums.unrealengine.com/member.php?u=260104" target="_blank">Angrytoilet</a>, the cover stuff is completely dead... it's totally based on Mixamo anims, and there by a no-go. I completely abandoned the project, so sorry.

                              About the climbing anims, im about to re-start my animation work. Some time during the next month. I hope to be able to step it up and provide something that i can share.
                              Hi Jonas ans AngryToilet - forgot to quote you guys when I made my earlier post

                              I finally posted my project here - https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ion-Platformer. Angrytoilet, the template has elements of parkour like wallclimbing, ziplining, rope climbing etc. Check it out and let me know if this is what you were looking for.



                              Jonas, I have been subbed to your channel for a few months now and I want to thank you for the awesome tutorials - keep it up! As a matter of fact, I used your ragdoll tutorial and your FP camera tutorial for this project .



                              Originally posted by Xanadron View Post
                              Hi CoquiGames and everyone! I am sorry i haven't posted anything else then the topic in this thread, as i have completely forgot about it and recently CoquiGames quoted me and i received an email about it. I watched your video and all have to say is that you did a great thing! I really want to see these systems finished. It is clear that you are onto something and it's great to see that you decided to share it with others so early. I would really like see this in the marketplace and buy it. Since you are opened, in a way that you can share your progress with anybody i would like to state some of my ideas of an ideal ''Parkour/Climbing System'':

                              - I saw many people interested only in the parkout stuff (e.g vault over something, sliding below objects and of course climbing) and they wished that specific package would include only these stuff and would have payed anything for it.

                              - If you can and it doesn't decelerate the project's progress i would like to see some support for a first person game. When i bought ADV KIT i was really excited that it somewhat included this but it was a complete mess. What i mean by this is that when the character reaches/grabs/is climbing the camera needs to be clamped so it doesn't go through your arms. It really isn't hard to make it as i have managed to do it, but as i mentioned it would be a great improvement to a first person climbing system. And if you try to do this and you get stuck i would be happy to ''recreate'' a function like this which clampes the angle of the camera and uses RInterp To to smooth the transition, and share it here.

                              -As i mentioned earlier, distinctive packs for each idea would make a difference and help you concentrate and focus more on finishing them more quickly.

                              -I think i saw a ''gravity circle'' in your video, which is similar to what ADV Kit has, but if you will manage to sort it out and get it working without making a plugin or such a complex and crazy stuff... count me in! And please include that in the possible future ''Parkour System''.
                              Hi Alex,

                              I think I know what you mean - every solution seems to be a bit complex to implement. Unfortunately mine is not too different from the other ones available. However, mine is fully implemented in Blueprint and you can use whichever parts you want (separate blueprints for every functionality).

                              You can switch to first person view at any time but most of the climbing stuff is done in third person for the exact reason you posted - camera clips or gets stuck . I didnt have enough time to figure that out before my project deadline so it was never implemented. If you have a solution that works, could you take a look at the template and either add the code or post your solution in that thread? That would be a nice improvement to the project that would benefit anyone in the community.

                              Besides that, I do have plans to improve the template if I see enough community interest, but Im limited based on the animations I can find. Anyways, you can download the project and play around with it and see if its useful. Good luck with your project!
                              Last edited by CoquiGames; 10-08-2016, 08:06 PM.
                              [WIP] Procedural City Generator | RPG AI
                              [MARKETPLACE] Animal Behavior Kit | Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool | Procedural Park
                              [FREE] Modular Road Tool | Action Platformer Template | Radar BP | Free Birds
                              Join our Discord

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X