Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savegame Menu With Screenshot Thumbnails

Hello everyone!

So for a while now I've been wondering how to create something like this. It seems like such a simple tast that is used in a lot of games, but so far I couldn't really find a tutorial on it.
    I currently have a project that uses a savegame to save certain variables. So far it only uses one, but I'd like to be able to save up multiple states and have a little thumbnail of the current camera for it aswell.
    So what would be the quickest way to add that functionality to an existing savegame system?

tl;dr
    How do I save a screenshot of the current scene and use it as a thumbnail for the save states in my HUD?

Originally posted by Seirei View Post
    Hello everyone!

So for a while now I've been wondering how to create something like this. It seems like such a simple tast that is used in a lot of games, but so far I couldn't really find a tutorial on it.
    I currently have a project that uses a savegame to save certain variables. So far it only uses one, but I'd like to be able to save up multiple states and have a little thumbnail of the current camera for it aswell.
    So what would be the quickest way to add that functionality to an existing savegame system?

tl;dr
    How do I save a screenshot of the current scene and use it as a thumbnail for the save states in my HUD?
    I'm not familiar with creating save games, though there are plenty of tutorials for that, but you could probably add scene capture 2d component (have it attached to your camera and give it the same transform so that it captures from the same view as your in game camera) in your character blueprint, and each time you save, have it update the capture, and input that capture in an instanced material that's assigned to a menu widget image piece.

Comment

Hi hippowombat,

I thought about doing something like that, but so far I wasn't sure if the texture from the scene capture would actually be saved. I noticed that a scene capture 2d loses it's texture on restart. At least back in 4.8 I had that happening. Guess I'll just have to try it out then.

Comment

Scene capture -> Texture2D -> save to savegame
        Github - YouTube - Unreal Slackers - KITATUS

Comment

Will do! Thanks!

Comment

Hello.
            Did you finish this function? I also need to do a similar function, can share the experience? Thanks...

Comment

Sadly it didn't work as expected and we ended up using C++ to save and load the images directly to the HDD.

Comment

Can you plz share how to save and load images using c++? Thanks !
                CG Supervisor at https://darulsolutions.com | Download Demo | Car Configurator | Interactive Arch Viz | Facebook | Youtube | Linkedin | Artstation

Comment

i know this is old, but I am trying to do the same thing, does anyone know of a solution?

Comment

JohnADaniels. see my post, if you are still interesting in it.

Comment

I looked at the the post but is did not show how to make the screenshot with BluePrint.

Originally posted by kup guitarplayer View Post
                      JohnADaniels. see my post, if you are still interesting in it.

Comment

Here's how I do it with a custom event in my spectator pawn (you would use whatever player pawn you use). My Game Instance calls this event, and this saves the screenshot with whatever file name I designate. My Save Game has a string variable that contains this file name, and my load game widget gets that screenshot file name and imports the screenshot file as a Texture 2D.

Comment

Working...
                        X