1:1 size of our planet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1:1 size of our planet

Hi, I´m trying to make flight sim. and the most important thing is making the world in which you can fly around. 1:1 scale of our planet just like in other simulators. I think this cannot be done just by terrain editor. Maybe some chunk system used in minecraft?
    Is it even possible to make this in Unreal engine 4?

There are MANY factors that come into play here. If it were me, I'd come up with a world generation algorithm, split the world into a however many chunks, assign a static seed to each chunk, and generate the world on the fly. Though, I am particularly fond of procedural generation, so that's just me
    Marketplace Assets

Advanced Mobile Input: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Easy Input Remapping: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
    Multiplayer Blueprint Chat System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Closing Credits System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
    Minesweeper Template: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Maze Creator: Marketplace Page | Support Thread

Comment

Your best bet would probably be to generate the world from actual heightmaps as the player flies along, the downsides to this are that there might be cracks in the terrain if you make the earth a sphere, and you couldn't have multiplayer.

Comment

It'd take some time, but you could definitely import heightmaps with the terrain generator to create the world as a series of "chunks" and use level streaming to seamlessly "connect" them without having them all loaded at once.

Comment

That's way too much information to be able to put into a game, without really much benefit, it would be better to focus on a much smaller and more manageable area

Comment

Sorry, couldn't resist it

So I have this little wip project on the boil over here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-Eden-Project

It's not exactly what you're after of course, mainly because I'm not even going to try to replicate earth accurately... something to do with me not owning a server farm that can store the over 20PB of data used by Google Earth or having access to every satellite made ever.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
              That's way too much information to be able to put into a game, without really much benefit, it would be better to focus on a much smaller and more manageable area
              Games like FSX do it, probably using procedural generation from heightmap info, as well as procedurally placed foilage and building models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiH58DrP38A

Comment

Yeah, they'll be pulling heightmap information from somewhere, though I don't see how good / accurate that information could be if it's stored locally. You'd absolutely need to do procedural work (and a lot of it custom built in code) to get it done, you're not going to do this with hand-created landscapes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowbell View Post
                  It'd take some time, but you could definitely import heightmaps with the terrain generator to create the world as a series of "chunks" and use level streaming to seamlessly "connect" them without having them all loaded at once.
                  This, and somehow faking the curvature.

Comment

Originally posted by Errvald View Post
                    This, and somehow faking the curvature.
                    It's not practical - the sheer size of the generated Unreal content files (maps in particular) would be absurd. You need to stream in the data from an external server and generate the world procedurally and on the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                      It's not practical - the sheer size of the generated Unreal content files (maps in particular) would be absurd. You need to stream in the data from an external server and generate the world procedurally and on the fly.
                      If he doesn't need high resolution heightmaps then the size might not be extremely high. But I agree with you, this is better done by generating the heightmap within a radius and procedurally adding static assets, materials etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogsofknowledge View Post
                        Games like FSX do it, probably using procedural generation from heightmap info, as well as procedurally placed foilage and building models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiH58DrP38A
                        At best they pull info from Google, which isn't super great quality as far as games go. And is there really any benefit of having something that large?

Comment

Even Google's data is pretty hefty, hence why you stream it from some big data centre somewhere, though some key locations may well be partially modelled. The thing about aircraft is, they're pretty damned small with respect to the size of this planet.

Comment

Wouldn't you need 64-bit floats to represent world coordinates to be able to do planetary scale levels ?

That's what Star Citizen had to implement in CryEngine in order to be able to achieve planetary scale.

Comment

It's not necessary, you can use origin-shifting / origin-rebasing instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X