ProBuilder for Unreal Official Development Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ProBuilder for Unreal Official Development Thread

FINAL UPDATE: With the upcoming release of Unreal's own geometry tools, we've decided to officially end this project. Sorry to disappoint everyone, but we're sure Epic has some great tools on the way to fill the gap!

Hi everyone! Super excited to announce, we are officially starting work on ProBuilder for the Unreal Engine!
    (Not familiar with ProBuilder? here's a quick video to explain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjqx6cKUepc)

I've learned that being as transparent as possible, and getting help/advice/input from the community can really, really help. Not only for good decision making, but also (maybe most importantly) to help keep motivation and excitement going on both sides. It's easy to lose steam when slogging along without feedback or support...

So, I'd like to make this our...
    Official ProBuilder Development Thread (ta-da!)
    This will stand to serve several purposes:
    #1, We'll post updates, dev logs, changes, news, etc, as we move forward.
    #2, We'd like to ask many questions of you as we go, and answer any that you have as well
    #3, A (fluid) "Roadmap", for at-a-glance progress info, and projected milestones, dates, etc

We Need Your Help!
    Bringing ProBuilder to the Unreal Engine is going to be a big, big project, and we simply can't do it without your help. We've had hundreds of messages via email, twitter, facebook, etc, telling us how much you'd love to have this tool in Unreal, and you've convinced us! But, we need your help. We have hired an extra developer and expecting to virtually double our own workload as well, in the process of supporting not just one, but 2 very different engines. Don't get me wrong- we're totally psyched and excited to finally do this, but it's no cakewalk (although, who walks on cakes anyway? terrible waste...)

To ensure we can actually complete what we are promising, we are preparing our very first Kickstarter campaign, which should be up shortly- about 2 weeks!
    We plan to lay out the Kickstarter as simply as possible, but please do let us know if you have suggestions:
    1) Small pledges ($1-$25) gain early access to the Basic, free version of ProBuilder for Unreal (and our sincere thanks for helping!)
    2) Regular pledges ($50-$100) gain early access to the complete, paid version of ProBuilder for Unreal, which will cost $100 when complete

Again, we'll have this live soon, and really, really hope to make a successful campaign and launch this project at full speed! If you think ProBuilder can help your Unreal dev (we know it can!!), please help spread the word and let other devs know that we need everyone's help to make it happen! Thanks very much!

---
    ProBuilder Initial Dev Roadmap
    (very general for now, using GIFs from our non-Unreal version)

Dev Phase 1: Basic, Essential Geometry Functions

1) Vertex, Edge, and Face editing supported with Move, Rotate, and Scale

2) Extrude function, for Faces (edges will come later)

3) Automatic UVs (UV1 and UV2, for textures and lightmaps)

Dev Phase 2: Intermediate-Level Geometry Functions

1) Detach Elements, Delete Faces, Bridge Edges,

2) Edge-Loop Modeling Method

3) Weld, Collapse, and Split Vertices

Dev Phase 3: Materials and UV Editing

1) Vertex Coloring

2) Material application Per-Face

3) UV Editing/Unwrapping

Count me in!
    57.14%
    Curious, will watch...
    35.29%
    No thanks.
    7.56%
    Last edited by yahodahan; 08-22-2017, 12:44 PM. Reason: project ended
    ProBuilder - Complete In-Engine 3D Modeling, Editing, and UV Unwrapping, + More! Coming soon to UE4! procore3d.com/probuilder

Yes! And thanks for continually pushing us towards this!
    ProBuilder - Complete In-Engine 3D Modeling, Editing, and UV Unwrapping, + More! Coming soon to UE4! procore3d.com/probuilder

Comment

DO IT!!

| Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Wooohooooooooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWintergreen View Post
          Ya'll can count on my support, but you know that :P
          Ditto and you can expect us to be one of the first to pledge on your Kickstarter for 2-3+ licenses (depending on how you setup your pledge list)

https://twitter.com/ProBuilder3D/sta...39366934867972

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
          DO IT!!

Dam(n) beat me to it haha

(really Dam(n) is censored on the forums...)
          Regards,
          Benjamin D. Smith

Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
          Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

Comment

Lets go, never backed anything before but will back the **** out of this.

Comment

Thanks for the support, we'll work on getting an in-Unreal demo available very soon!
              gw

Comment

Just wondering, I saw video, but what audience are you targeting given 'free' modeling apps already do all of this , and typically most engine users are already very advanced designers , so is this targeting end users who very entry level skillsets ?

Just wondering if this would be of any use to me but I'm not seeing that it would, but if it is to entry level people vs using available and free tools elsewhere, then sure that would compliment ue4 .

Cheers and gl.
                nl
                Solo but Seismic - feel free to apply
                https://neighborlee1.wixsite.com/theheartseed

Comment

Hi! Thanks for the question- yep, the idea here is not to compete with free or paid external programs. High detail, organic, etc stuff should still be done via Max/Maya/Blender/Zbrush, of course. What makes a tool like ProBuilder useful, is having the ability to build-edit-test-repeat, very quickly, with simple tools and simple geometry. For tasks like prototyping, base geometry, triggers and zones, and perhaps final art for stylized/simplistic games, building in-engine is extremely useful. So much time and trouble is saved by simply building in-engine, vs swapping between tools, exporting, importing, managing files, fixing connections, etc. Again, not for high-poly art, naturally, but the simple stuff...it's a super time and sanity saver

Speaking of advanced designers, that actually a big part of the idea, also. The current in-engine geo/BSP is old, dated, and not fun to use, especially for advanced devs. This is essentially that old BSP-style creation, molded with 3d modelling-like cababilities, so it is capable of fairly advanced work, much more so than the old BSP.

Hope that helps explain the use, if I'm doing a bad job, lemme know, I need to work on that part! Thanks again!

Comment

Will you advertise the kickstarter on this thread or on your protoolsforunity3d site (or elsewhere)?

Comment

We'll post all news and info here, to keep it simple for anyone who is interested in the tool.
                      Also, it's a good idea to follow the twitter account, "@probuilder3d"

Thanks, good question!

Comment

Just have to chime in here, having extensively used Probuilder for Unity; the BSP tools in UE4 have absolutely nothing on Probuilder. All the power of a modelling application, right in your level editor. Working in say, Blender, may be more powerful, but nothing beats having your reference objects and level-fiddly-bits(is that a word?) right there.

'Course, for me the biggest feature is iterative playtesting. With any modelling application, you have to go through the hoopla of updating your collision mesh, your UVs, and a potentially tedious import/export process. All for moving couple of vertices. With Probuilder for Unreal, all you need to do is hit Alt+P. (Or, y'know, click the Play button.)

And if any of the UX design carries over, the shortcuts should be a whole lot more sane. Seriously, shift+5 to switch to BSP(and shift+1 to switch out), and having to manually click for extrude mode? Or perhaps I should touch on the hassle of selecting edges? Thanks but no, BSP.

The only other feature I want is the ability to hit TAB to toggle between regular editing and Probuilder mode. Whether by default or a rebindable shortcut, it would save so much time.

Comment

^

I haven't used Probuilder for unity, but it looks great. For me, the closer ya'll can get it to Hammer the better
                          Impromptu Games|dev blog|twitter|itch.io store|Patreon
                          Impromptu Procedural Ladders|Impromptu Procedural Handrails|Impromptu Procedural Stairs
                          |Impromptu Fire Propagation|InFlux Example Game|Impromptu Vector Field Painter

Comment

Originally posted by Axtel Sturnclaw View Post
                            Just have to chime in here, having extensively used Probuilder for Unity; the BSP tools in UE4 have absolutely nothing on Probuilder. All the power of a modelling application, right in your level editor. Working in say, Blender, may be more powerful, but nothing beats having your reference objects and level-fiddly-bits(is that a word?) right there.

'Course, for me the biggest feature is iterative playtesting. With any modelling application, you have to go through the hoopla of updating your collision mesh, your UVs, and a potentially tedious import/export process. All for moving couple of vertices. With Probuilder for Unreal, all you need to do is hit Alt+P. (Or, y'know, click the Play button.)

And if any of the UX design carries over, the shortcuts should be a whole lot more sane. Seriously, shift+5 to switch to BSP(and shift+1 to switch out), and having to manually click for extrude mode? Or perhaps I should touch on the hassle of selecting edges? Thanks but no, BSP.

The only other feature I want is the ability to hit TAB to toggle between regular editing and Probuilder mode. Whether by default or a rebindable shortcut, it would save so much time.
                            Thanks Axtel, much appreciated! TAB is a good idea for quick-swapping- I'll look into implementing something like that, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X