No announcement yet.

trying to make Toon Shader Material on UE4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think will be better, if use stylized material directly to model (character, static mesh). I mean need divide inking postprocess effect and lighting with sharpen edges. Because some backgrounds (for example in anime) make more realistic stile without sharpen edges. As a matter of fact, these stylized effect need only for characters and dynamic objects of foreground. Here is my little scene with custom material.
    For more details: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ets-s-showcase

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	924.8 KB
ID:	1087884

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	873.9 KB
ID:	1087885

Comment

Originally posted by Jsvanden View Post
      My apologies, that should be fixed now. If not, I'll upload it directly:
      Is it normal that I get nothing when pluging it into the blendables slot?
      I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. D:

EDIT: Nevermind, I just noticed that it only works on objects that have Custom Depth Render set to true.
      Last edited by Keytotruth; 09-24-2015, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Westley View Post
        I haven't tried any refraction materials yet...

Attached is a current version of my anime shader + parameter file.
        Hey Brian, sorry for being a total noob here (Coming straight out of Unity, trying to grasp Unreal, desperately seeking Cel shading

OK, so I actually managed to get your Shader files into my project.. I can double click, see them, paste them into another material.. what I don't get is 'how to use them'? - and I cannot find any documentation on it either.. any few pointers would be awesome, really. Thanks a bunch! (Just ike: Create a new material, copy paste this in there, set that slot to this.. or what it is?)

Comment

Katawa Shoujo. I see what you did there XD!

Comment

Thx all for this thread, as I'm also interested in toon'ing, but trying to download and I'm getting a 'unsafe' to download, blocked by MS's edge browser via smart screen filtering.

I'm in no way, at all, saying its not safe just wondering why would it be flagged , due to it coming from drive.google ? ;0-)
            ---------------------------------
            new update:

No idea why, short of the obvious , smart screen filter was apparently just being fiddly, it seems fine now.

Its never done that before on anything I've downloaded, either it 'fixed' something that snuck through google, or it learned it was fine and let it through. NO idea.

cheers
            nl
            Last edited by neighborlee; 10-15-2015, 01:47 PM.
            Solo but Seismic - feel free to apply
            https://neighborlee1.wixsite.com/theheartseed

Comment

Originally posted by Fritsl View Post
              Hey Brian, sorry for being a total noob here (Coming straight out of Unity, trying to grasp Unreal, desperately seeking Cel shading

OK, so I actually managed to get your Shader files into my project.. I can double click, see them, paste them into another material.. what I don't get is 'how to use them'? - and I cannot find any documentation on it either.. any few pointers would be awesome, really. Thanks a bunch! (Just ike: Create a new material, copy paste this in there, set that slot to this.. or what it is?)
              It's a postprocess shader, so:
              1) In the Modes box (upper left if you haven't rearranged things) pick Visual Effects and create a postprocess volume
              2) put it somewhere (if you make it unbound, it affects the whole scene)
              3) in the postprocess volume details, go to postprocess volume->settings->blendables and add a blendable (presumably with "full effect" on) of AnimeShader

Now it should work.

Comment

Originally posted by alirominger View Post
                Katawa Shoujo. I see what you did there XD!

FINALLY someone recognizes them...
                (old and simple demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE-rg7sysFU )

Comment

If I remember, I had to do some small changes to a few nodes that changed for 4.9, so here's my shader and shadersettings again. When you install them, you need to go through the shader and change all the missing collection references from "None" to "AnimeShaderSettings".
                  Attached Files

Comment

I don't know if this was posted, but a Japanese developer made this:

The link is in Japanese, but I assume he explains how to do it:

http://ogimafu.blogspot.com/2015/03/ue4_22.html
                    http://ogimafu.blogspot.com/2015/03/ue4_30.html
                    http://ogimafu.blogspot.com/2015/04/ue4.html

Comment

@MohdNadjib760

Is the last picture your result after doing the same thing he did?

Comment

Originally posted by StrawberryShake View Post
                        @MohdNadjib760

Is the last picture your result after doing the same thing he did?
                        No, it's another picture from him.

Also, it seems like Epic Japan has posted a Toon Shader solution themselves

Comment

But there are only this BP Pics on his (ogimafu) blog, no files for download, right? The results looks really good.

On the Epic Stuff thing, there seams to be some errors on lightning.

Comment

Originally posted by MohdNadjib760 View Post
                            I guess it's time to learn Japanese then. I must know how to do this

Comment

Google Translator is not so bad for Japanese > English. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Westley View Post
                                If I remember, I had to do some small changes to a few nodes that changed for 4.9, so here's my shader and shadersettings again. When you install them, you need to go through the shader and change all the missing collection references from "None" to "AnimeShaderSettings".
                                I am Japanese developer.
                                Using this anime shader,Repeated the test and created the following video.

Also take advantage of further toon shader of the following thread.
                                https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-shading-model

I'm very happy with this result.
                                This result is bring new possibilities to UE4.
                                Want to see more things like this.
                                I'm grateful to a lot of cooperation!

Comment

Working...
                                X