Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nature Environment in UE4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Awesome, Thank you for the information, this will help a lot. Distance blending is a really good idea for terrain and foliage!

    Comment


    • #17
      Thanks for the specifics. Your work with Unreal materials is so good I'm surprised Epic hasn't snatched you up yet!

      Cheers,
      -D

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Ulrich.Th├╝mmler View Post
        thx guys

        here a short break down(is from ue4 beta):

        1. Use Edit normals to create custom normals for your mesh.
        http://wiki.polycount.com/VertexNormal

        2. When u import the texture with alpha mask, check the "DitherMipMapAlpha" is true.

        3. Here the basic MatTree():
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/mndlu7w6ds...setup_base.jpg
        Blend Mode: Masked
        Lighting Model: Subsurface
        Two Sided: true

        For the gradient textures use a simple TexCoordinate with ComponentMask.

        I use in my shader alpha mask distance filling. The mask is no pixelated and flickering in the distance.
        Here my MatTree:
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfnjtskpbz...tree_multi.jpg

        The SSS is very hardware hungry i use the distance blending for better performance.
        http://oliverm-h.blogspot.de/2012/06...ng-ue3udk.html

        Use the Opacity Slot for SSS transparently.

        4. Create a custom Wind Shader with high z vector offset.
        Here my custom wind shader(i use it for all(weather, trees, ocean, flaggs etc.)):
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkonxpg08f...ind_Shader.mov
        Here the animate texture:
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/pm8bmddke2...namic_wind.mp4
        the final texture has 32px x 32px resolution


        Hope this was helpful, sry for my bad english. :P

        greeting,
        Ulrich

        Wow that is beautiful. The wind effect is incredible. The darkening and lightening as the random wind waves move the grass. Wonderful.

        Is there a tutorial for UE4 on how to make custom wind shaders like yours? How to make the animate texture?

        Thank you for sharing. That is better than any grass I have ever seen in any game. I mean it. The wind effect is glorious.

        Comment


        • #19
          Ulrich, you are my new favourite person ever.

          Love your work.
          egray.io
          http://www.despoilergame.com/

          Comment


          • #20
            Ulrich, how exactly do you use the Edit Normals modifier to average the normals? Is there an automatic way to do it?

            Comment


            • #21
              @Jamsh all you really need to know is here : http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/E...ber=d30e234498

              Also you can find a custom script by google searching that does your bidding :P
              VFX Artist
              Portfolio: Here

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
                Ulrich, how exactly do you use the Edit Normals modifier to average the normals? Is there an automatic way to do it?
                I think he also uses SlideNormalThief -> you can copy the normals from another mesh to your target mesh

                Comment


                • #23
                  My result didn't turn out as well And for some reason, my foliage isn't shaded/darkened by the surrounding geometry. Notice how it's equally bright through the level rather than being darker in the shadowed areas. This occurs wether I use a static, stationary or moveable directional light.

                  Is there anything I'm doing particularly wrong? I used the exact same material setup as Ulrich for now. My vertex normals are all pointing straight up too.



                  I think a lot of Ulrich's magic is also done with how he made his meshes. Ulrich did you create your own backfaces rather than using a 2-sided material and use those normals, and are they flat planes or actual geometry with depth?
                  Last edited by TheJamsh; 05-07-2014, 06:09 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
                    My result didn't turn out as well And for some reason, my foliage isn't shaded/darkened by the surrounding geometry. Notice how it's equally bright through the level rather than being darker in the shadowed areas. This occurs wether I use a static, stationary or moveable directional light.

                    Is there anything I'm doing particularly wrong? I used the exact same material setup as Ulrich for now. My vertex normals are all pointing straight up too.
                    Are you using static lighting? Foliage doesnt work well with static lighting currently as far as i know.
                    FREE Color LUT Collection
                    FREE Physics Driven Spacecraft Project
                    GTA Style Vehicle Interaction
                    Dynamic DoF(Depth of Field)
                    Camera Crossfade
                    Portfolio

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I know that it only casts dynamic shadows, but changing my light source settings doesn't seem to change anything... must have missed something somewhere. Even so, that shouldn't effect the shadowing from the surrounding geometry should it? I'm still not entirely sure how the foliage system works. Might be better to use static meshes for the mean time. That's going to be a lotta lightmaps though :/

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Lightmaps are the least of your problem if you place them as staticmeshes. UE3 foliage was lightmapped as well. Never was a big issue.

                        Drawcalls on the other hand.... The prime reason to use foliage over manually placed meshes are the drawcalls.

                        You must have something in your material that makes them this bright. Try to add a very simple grass material to the mesh just to narrow that if it is indeed the material, or something else.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Using an identical setup to Ulrich here, I even darkened the colours to no avail, the lighting still doesn't affect the grass.



                          The meshes are simple planes with a few extra verts and all normals facing up. Ulrich's meshes must be doing something different surely... are you guys actually getting shadowed foliage at all?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Bumping this.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
                              Using an identical setup to Ulrich here, I even darkened the colours to no avail, the lighting still doesn't affect the grass.


                              The meshes are simple planes with a few extra verts and all normals facing up. Ulrich's meshes must be doing something different surely... are you guys actually getting shadowed foliage at all?
                              Have you placed those meshes with the foliage tool? When yes, then enable moveable in your directional light

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Yep I did that, still no luck I had to seriously multiply the colour down too, so now it looks too dark all round.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X