Blender 2.73a and 2.74 working export to UE4 settings for various types

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 2.73a and 2.74 working export to UE4 settings for various types

Ok so I spent a few hours really working through the Blender to UE4 pipeline and had a pretty frustrating time of it. That said, I have now got a set of 'rules' that work really well.

1. This has only been tested on Blender 2.73a and 2.74 (2nd Test Build) on OS X
    2. This assumes you are using Blender standard -Y as your 'Forward'

In terms of UE4, there are 3 types of assets that I have tested, Static Meshes (no joints/skinning etc.), Skeletal Meshes (using Armatures, no animations, for example a character in T-Pose), Skeletal Animation (Animation assets - basically just the Armature(s) exported to play on the Skeletal Mesh previously exported).

Unfortunately there seems to be a new 180˚ flip on one of these assets in Blender 2.74 so the import settings into UE4 are slightly different.

Blender Scene Setup
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Blender Scene Setup.png
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1146101

So set the scene up as most people have already agreed as Metric and the scale at 0.01 this means we are working in cm's.

Example of the test mesh and its size

Name:	Blender Units.png
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1146102

You can see that Blender will show you the units in meters so something that is 250cm will be shown as 2.5m

2.73a and 2.74 (Test Build 2) Export Settings

Static Meshes

Name:	Blender Export Static Mesh Settings.png
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1146103

Skeletal Meshes

Name:	Blender Export Skeletal Mesh Settings.png
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1146104

Skeletal Animations

Name:	Blender Export Skeletal Animation Settings.png
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1146105

Note Selected Objects tick box, you need to select the Armature(s)

Importing into UE4 from Blender 2.73a

Static Meshes

Name:	Import Static Mesh Settings2.73a.png
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1146106
    Note Yaw is +90˚, Scale is 0.01

Skeletal Meshes

Name:	Import Skeletal Mesh Settings2.73a.png
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1146107
    Note Yaw is +90˚, Scale is 0.01

Skeletal Animations

Name:	Import Skel Animation Settings2.73a.png
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1146108
    Note Yaw is -90˚, Scale is 1

Importing into UE4 from Blender 2.74 (Test Build 2)

Static Meshes

Name:	Import Static Mesh Settings2.74.png
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1146109

Skeletal Meshes

Name:	Import Skeletal Mesh Settings2.74.png
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1146110
    Note Yaw is -90˚, Scale is 0.01

Skeletal Animations

Name:	Import Skel Animation Settings2.73a.png
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1146108

So the good news is in 2.74 the rotations are now unified. The Scale still is not that is why you cannot export/import a skeletal mesh with it's animations. When looking at the nodes of the FBX's in C4D, the Armature (which is basically the Root in UE4) has scale set on it, that screws things up. This only happens when you export Armature + Mesh.

Anyway, I'll report my findings on Blenders bug tracker too and hope this is useful for everyone.

• replied
    Originally posted by kennyrosenyc View Post
    Blender UE Tools was first introduced April 2014 I believe that predates any of the versions you have listed actually, so you could have done a search and solved all your problems with one download. There is, however, a line of code that needs to be commented out in Blender to avoid the extra 'root bone' issues. Otherwise, as I said, UE Tools is an excellent plugin and it works pretty much flawlessly.
    I haven't tried these tools yet (I'm not on my main workstation atm), but does it work with custom rigs (biped/quadruped/anything)?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Blender UE Tools was first introduced April 2014 I believe that predates any of the versions you have listed actually, so you could have done a search and solved all your problems with one download. There is, however, a line of code that needs to be commented out in Blender to avoid the extra 'root bone' issues. Otherwise, as I said, UE Tools is an excellent plugin and it works pretty much flawlessly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This was written before 2.75 came out, some of my requested bug fixes are the reason 2.75 no longer needs these workarounds, if you looked at the title of the post you'd see it specifically mentions 2.73 and early 2.74 builds.

It is true most of the jumping through hoops is now gone with 2.75 you can have no units and not set any scales and most stuff works fine now.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Or conversely you could just use the Blender/UE Tools available for free over in the user content section of the forum and bypass all of this work. It has an entire Blender scene with the UE4 4.8 mannequin, with a full rig which can be animated and those animations can be retargeted for the official mannequin. I'm sorry but this is all old info for old versions of Blender. A simple search through the forums would have negated the need for this post all together.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Also, UE4 now builds the light map UV's on import, open up all the settings and make sure the tick box is ticked.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    nevermind... had to create a UV map

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hey Anadin, thanks so much for your time getting this to work

Though I have a problem, I have basically copied and pasted your settings straight to blender 2.75, though whenever I import to ue4 I get 2 warnings, one about smoothing groups, the other about degenerate tangents being missing, and therefore ue4 says it will result in incorrect shading, low and behold my entire mesh becomes pitch black after building the project. Anyone else has this issue?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Works with Blender verion 2.75 RC

Originally posted by Anadin View Post
    hmm, I didn't play much with Blender pre 2.73 and 2.74 first time I got serious with it, I'm not sure if 2.7 even exports using FBX 7.1 I'm afraid I don't know. I can confirm a lot of these scale problems seem to have been fixed with 2.75 though.
    Hey Anadin,

Thank you so much for your reply. I downloaded the release candidate version of Blender 2.75 and followed all your steps from the beginning. And it works! I don't think I need to scale it down to 0.010 anymore, because that just makes the mesh really tiny in UE4. I was a bit confused with the extra option in the FBX export menu - "Key All Bones". It was checked by default, so I kept it as it is. And things seem to be working quite okay! ( :

Thanks again.

Cheers!
    Ashin

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hmm, I didn't play much with Blender pre 2.73 and 2.74 first time I got serious with it, I'm not sure if 2.7 even exports using FBX 7.1 I'm afraid I don't know. I can confirm a lot of these scale problems seem to have been fixed with 2.75 though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello!

I am beginner in Unreal Engine and 3D modelling. I made a character in Blender and animated it. Following this tutorial, I am trying to import the character and it's animations in the FBX format. But I am confused about how to export the character model and animation separately. I tried to follow the images given in the post and check/ uncheck the correct options. But I am on Blender 2.70 and my Export FBX options look like this:

Name:	Export_Menu.jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1079609

And I get empty FBX files after exporting. Could someone help me figure out where I might be going wrong?

Hoping it's not too noob a question! ( :

Thanks in advance.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hmm yeah your size in UE4 should end up as 4.8x6.8x1.6 which is pretty small, UE units are cm.

Um did you use 0.01 in your import scale?

It seems mont29 has finally fixed the scale stuff for Blender 2.75 (not had a go with the dev build yet but certainly gonna update this once I do)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Anadin View Post
    @Rouli, darn! I was quite excited when I saw your post. yeah so far this is the only successful method I have found.
    I can't get it right with this settings.. I export something with X 4.805cm, Y 6.859cm and Z 1.664cm but when I import in UE4 the approx size is 480x685x166 which I guess is way to big?

I applied everything / did use Metric and Degrees in blender and imported everything with scale 1.
    Last edited by AntonieB; 05-16-2015, 06:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @Rouli, darn! I was quite excited when I saw your post. yeah so far this is the only successful method I have found.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Dont listen to what i had to say. Do it the way OP describes. Took me some time to realize physics asset is messed up when using my method -.-

Leave a comment:

Working...
X