[Preview] FX Ocean Starter Kit vA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Preview] FX Ocean Starter Kit vA

The ocean starter kit is now under development.
    Currently I have implemented the Gerstner Formula, Fresnel, SSS, Reflection, and Directional (drag) Dynamic White Cap Generation.
    Still quite a bit to do. This will then be integrated into a blueprint system and will also have weather/wind range support.

Hope you enjoy the sneak preview!

-Jeremy-
    Last edited by JBaldwin; 06-05-2015, 09:48 PM.
    Portfolio
    UE3 - Advanced FX Masterclass Part 1 DVD
    UE3 - Advanced FX Masterclass Part 2 DVD

Ooooo ... another nice one. Yeah baby ... 8-}
    Quinton Delpeche
    Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

As always Jeremy, top work

Comment

Looks fantastic! Would buy. Would it be suitable for making other bodies of water? Like ponds, lakes, rivers and such that won't behave like an ocean? Would be incredible to be able to use the same system so the style matches.

Comment

any chance it could be made to react to solid objects in the water (eg rocks, shoreline)?

could this be used to make a river flowing in controlled directions?

I would gladly pay more for these features!

thanks in advance

Comment

@Sitrec - This specific shader is primarily built for deep sea waves (both calm and windy). However, I can create another system that would deal properly with smaller bodies of water and package it with this without altering the price.

@SlinkyMuffins - Interactions could be added. However, depending on how realistic you would want them to be, the systems could get very complex. I would like to at some point build a wave deformation feature that allows them to crash into objects, reflect, and roll. In regards to the feature (making a river flow in a specific direction) - this would need to be built into a river system. Most people would use flow map [textures]. However, you could also build it to work with generated waves using vertex masking. I will think about doing this at a later point (but it would be separate from the ocean system). Unfortunately, these things need to be broken up into separate tools. Trying to make one that did all would most likely result in a 500+ node tree and performance killing shader complexity (unless done in C++).

Thanks for the support everyone. I hope to have another update in a few days.

-Jeremy-
            Portfolio

Comment

This is awesome, exactly what I have been looking for. Shoreline interaction would be incredible, if it is possible. I would definitely buy what you are working on! As Slinky said, if you create a package with more advanced features, I would also pay more.

Comment

Very nice, I also would like for beach shoreline interaction if its not too much trouble for you to add

Comment

Comment

Interested in seeing where this goes! Your original thread was a huge help in getting my ocean project off the ground, even though I went a slightly different route (still based on GPU Gems though).

Looking great Jeremy! Finally another ocean surface shader to compete with! You have taught me too much... Mwahahaha
                    Last edited by DotCam; 03-13-2015, 12:38 PM.
                    Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Thanks for the kind words
                      @DotCam - I just realized you had a trello board for your ocean development! Very cool.
                      I noticed you created your SSS function to mimic the same result as in Assassin's Creed. I was using actual SSS, but wasn't satisfied with the lighting model for an ocean. Did you look at a paper in order to build your function, or is that your own method?

-Jeremy-
                      Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by JBaldwin View Post
                        Thanks for the kind words
                        @DotCam - I just realized you had a trello board for your ocean development! Very cool.
                        I noticed you created your SSS function to mimic the same result as in Assassin's Creed. I was using actual SSS, but wasn't satisfied with the lighting model for an ocean. Did you look at a paper in order to build your function, or is that your own method?

-Jeremy-
                        Hey Jeremy,

The SSS function was actually contributed by TK-Master to the project with couple small tweaks I added in, so I will need to get back to you on that with some more info. It works pretty well but the LightVector can't be updated in real time without some pretty severe artifacts. I've been busy with some other elements recently and haven't had time to go through it all properly.

I'll message him and let you know how he came up with the function shortly.

p.s. Removed the links in my sig in the post, feels wrong to link it here. Forgot to turn that off sorry :/
                        Last edited by DotCam; 03-13-2015, 05:36 PM. Reason: Added back in Signature -JB is awesome :)
                        Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Sounds good! I would definitely be interested to see his sources. I Have been looking around for some formula's that would be less performance hungry. Real SSS can kill the ms fast

p.s. Removed the links in my sig in the post, feels wrong to link it here. Forgot to turn that off sorry :/
                          Nonsense! I don't mind at all
                          I am very different from others. I don't mind people posting secondary recourse or even promoting themselves on my threads. For me personally, I don't believe in hijacking. "My" thread is always public to everyone and they can post up their projects anytime. Plus, seeing your trello board was refreshing Nice to see people working on full scale projects like that. If you have any further updates you would like to publicize, feel free to do it here as well as your own thread location!

I also wanted to announce that this is actually going to be *FREE* to the public. Seeing a lot of people need oceans, I thought it only fair.

-Jeremy-
                          Portfolio

Comment

Dude, one of our material guys was talking about this the other day, to use for our coastline in Dreamtime!

I love JBaldwin! <3

Comment

The ocean starter kit is now under development.
                              Currently I have implemented the Gerstner Formula, Fresnel, SSS, Reflection, and Directional (drag) Dynamic White Cap Generation.
                              Still quite a bit to do. This will then be integrated into a blueprint system and will also have weather/wind range support.
                              Thank you Jeremy , I think this pack will become definitly my favory starter pack.
                              I think yes , but do you saw the Water Plan made by Alan Willard ,Maybe you will see some nice idea.

Price Update: I have decided to make this FREE on the marketplace! When development is done, you will simply download it and integrate it into your own projects
                              Spotlight member like Epic said !
                              Last edited by ChrisTm; 03-13-2015, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X