Landscape, without smoothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landscape, without smoothing

I have taken a look at the landscape tool.. it smoothes everything.... I want an unsmoothed landscape.

To make it look like this:

Can it be done or should I just use a static mesh instead?
    Easy weapons in Unreal Engine 4:
    Check out Realistic Blueprint Weapons

Currently doing a tutorial series on Vectors and what they are good for.
    Please visit Unreal Unscripted

Yes it should be possible -> just play around with the landscape settings

Settings:

Section Size: 7x7
    Sections per Comp: 2x2
    Brush Falloff: 0

Comment

That's low poly but still smooth shaded.

@Rasped
      I'd probably go for a static mesh but if you really want to use landscape you can manually calculate flat shaded normals in the material by using ddx and ddy of the world position:

Comment

Originally posted by mAlkAv!An View Post
        That's low poly but still smooth shaded.

@Rasped
        I'd probably go for a static mesh but if you really want to use landscape you can manually calculate flat shaded normals in the material by using ddx and ddy of the world position:

Yeah, I played around with the suggestion fighter made, didn't look as I wanted. (Suggestions appreciated though)

I don't really want to use landscape. I just thought it might be best, performance etc. Landscape can do LOD on parts of itself... a static mesh would be... well... since you'd be on it the entire time, there would be no LOD changes. Then again, it is a LOPO landscape I want, so it might not be an issue at all.

Comment

Well, use what suits your workflow best then. Just keep in mind that a static mesh with all hard edges has a significantly higher vertex count.
          The good thing about the material setup above is that it looks flat shaded but has the same vertex count as a smooth shaded mesh.

Comment

Well, use what suits your workflow best then. Just keep in mind that a static mesh with all hard edges has a significantly higher vertex count.
            The good thing about the material setup above is that it looks flat shaded but has the same vertex count as a smooth shaded mesh.
            I'm not entirely sure about having a higher vertex count. Even when you go pretty aggressive on a landscape and getting the vertex count down on that it still looks fairly complex when looking at the wireframe. Far more faces than what I am going for in my landscape.

But, I would like to try you model though... I just can't find the "Absolute World Position" node in the editor. The other 3 no problem.

Comment

The node is called WorldPosition (Coordinates sub-menu).

As for the vertex count I was not comparing lanscapes to static meshes, but smooth shaded to flat shaded meshes in general. You can use that material with static meshes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasped View Post
                I'm not entirely sure about having a higher vertex count. Even when you go pretty aggressive on a landscape and getting the vertex count down on that it still looks fairly complex when looking at the wireframe. Far more faces than what I am going for in my landscape.

But, I would like to try you model though... I just can't find the "Absolute World Position" node in the editor. The other 3 no problem.
                Hard edges create more vertex count because of the split normals rather than averaged normals which is why sometimes you will see Tri count of some static meshes are usually 2-3x the amount of the 'face count'. Which is why something like this done as a SM will have quite a count over doing it the shader way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghiest View Post
                  Hard edges create more vertex count because of the split normals rather than averaged normals which is why sometimes you will see Tri count of some static meshes are usually 2-3x the amount of the 'face count'. Which is why something like this done as a SM will have quite a count over doing it the shader way.
                  There is still stuff I need to learn about 3D... I don't have my head around normals and UVs yet... and I fear for what comes after that

I'll take a look at landscape again, couldn't get it to work with that shader thing it seemed. But I ran into trouble with placing foliage, so landscape seems more like the right choice. Things tend to snap to a landscape when placing stuff... it doesn't snap to a static mesh

Comment

I had used the wrong cross node, and didn't get the blocky look.
                    So now I have it working.

I'm playing around with it now

Comment

I get terrible terrible LOD morphing when I turn down the landscape resolution. And when I turn it up, the faces get too small.

Should I use a higher resolution landscape, and scale that up? Any downsides to that approach?

Comment

Just wanted to post a slight improvement to the material that fixes some lighting issues, for anyone that stumbles across this thread:
                        Attached Files
                        Contact: enlight in #unrealengine IRC channel on Freenode, or @macagonator on Twitter

Comment

You should just uncheck 'Tangent Space Normal' in the material properties. This is basically the same and cheaper.
                          Last edited by mAlkAv!An; 04-15-2014, 11:31 AM.

Comment

You should just uncheck 'Tangent Space Normal' in the material properties. This is basically the same and cheaper.
                            You're right, that works too, I'll use that. The revised version:
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by enlight_2014; 04-15-2014, 11:49 AM. Reason: Add image.
                            Contact: enlight in #unrealengine IRC channel on Freenode, or @macagonator on Twitter

Comment

Thanks to all of you!
                              A very usefull Trick.

I love the search function on this Forum! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                              X