Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic MMO Starter Kit

MMO Starter Kit

MMO Starter Kit is available for purchase on Sellfy!
    Online documentation for version 1.17 (UE 4.22.0)
    Unofficial Discord channel

older documentation: 1.16 | 1.15 | 1.14 | 1.13 | 1.12 | 1.11 | 1.10 | 1.9 | 1.8 | 1.7 | 1.5 | 1.4 | 1.3 | 1.2 | 1.1 | 1.0

Update 06/04: 4.22 port + changes link

Update 12/11: 4.21 port + 1 bug fix link
    Update 20/07: 4.20 port link
    Update 17/03: 4.19 port + bug fixes link

Update 08/12: Minor tweaks and bug fixes link
    Update 31/10: 4.18 port
    Update 19/08: 4.17 port
    Update 26/05: 4.16 port, bug fixes link
    Update 23/02: 4.15 port

Update 16/12: Bug fixes, 4.14 port link
    Update 04/09: Animated loading screen, 4.13 port link
    Update 28/07: Clans, clan chat, 4.12.5 port link
    Update 06/04: A reworked Launcher, aggressive behavior tree, ability to delete characters, 4.11 port link

Update 15/11: Group mechanics, private and group chat, 4.10 port link
    Update 04/09: Hotbar, localization support, 4.9 port link
    Project Genom - a sci-fi MMO built using MMO Starter Kit has been Greenlit link
    Update 26/06: Quests, health regen, 4.8.1 port link
    Update 01/03: Equipment and better security, 4.7 port link

Update 24/12: Inventory and loot link
    Update 6/12 140+ active players confirmed running smoothly! link

Download demo client
    (330 MB download, 1.5 GB free space required for the install)

Demo controls: I - inventory, C - equipment, P - abilities

The first video: (pretty outdated!)

Hi everyone,

I would like to present the project that I've been working on for quite some time already - MMO Starter Kit. I have been carrying the idea of an MMO kit for more than a year now, and have tried different engines and approaches, but only when I saw Unreal 4 this became a serious project for me. I believe that Unreal Blueprint system can truly allow anyone to create their own MMO game, and with the engine's next-gen graphics that game can turn out to be truly fantastic.

Anyways, let me sum up the features that are already present in the MMO kit:
    • All source code included
    • Fully in Blueprints. I'm an experienced programmer but Blueprints have totally won me over. The only subsystem that I had to code was the connection to the socket chat server and I made it into a plugin so it's still being accessed from Blueprints.
    • Persistent storage of data in a mySQL database. Character position and stats are saved when the character logs off and restored when it enters world again.
    • No third-party solution (such as Photon or RakNet) required - so no monthly fees and you are free to host your server anywhere you want. I'm hosting the demo server on Softlayer and will provide detailed instructions on how to set up a server for those who are new to dedicated servers in general.
    • Registration, login and character creation.
    • Authoritative server
    • Launcher/autoupdater that can update the game and itself (separate application, in C#). Because you don't want to make your users download the full game over again after each minor update
    • Combat and targeting
    • Roaming and aggressive NPCs that fight back and chase after the player if attacked
    • Inventory and loot, droppable items
    • Equipment
    • Quests
    • Player and NPC respawn
    • Combat log
    • Classic MMO controls (think World of Warcraft)
    • Groups and clans
    • Global, private, party and clan chat
    • UMG user interface

Closing note: MMO's are pretty feared in indie gamedev community and new users who have a MMO dream are often laughed at. There's also an aura of secrecy about them, maintained by people who have once dived into MMOs a little but failed and are unwilling to share their knowledge with the others, prefering to discourage them instead. Well, they are wrong. It is possible to create an MMO, and it doesn't necessarily cost millions. Just as Unreal 4's graphics would cost millions to achieve some few years ago, those things just become more available as the time goes. My goal is to create the best MMO kit for Unreal, with extensive documentation that covers not only how to work with the kit from within Unreal, but also things like how to order and set up a dedicated Softlayer server.

Credits: I would like to say thank you to Vladimir Alyamkin (ufna) for his wonderful VaRest Plugin, released under MIT license. It's people like this who move the indie gamedev community forward.

The authors of the free assets that are used in the demo:

Sword Girl model (used only on the demo server, not distributed) - Bunt Games
    Inventory icons - Ravenmore, Flare icons
    Black & white icons for empty slots - game-icons.net
    Inventory sounds - qubodup, Akeroyc
    female voices - AderuMoro, MadamVicious
    male voices - Michel Baradari

The map used in the demo is by Epic Games.

Last edited by CodeSpartan; 04-06-2019, 01:33 PM.

• replied
    Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post

You want to modify the mmocreatecharacter.php and the Create Character Request function in UE4.
    Then you receive character in PlayerState -> GetCharacterResponse on server
    Thank! I already defeated this task and realized how it works.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    HI Guys,

I seem to have had a brain fart.. can someone give me a step by step on how to change the launcher logo (art by cg-qx.net picture)? I did it once a very long time ago and can't seem to recreate it.

I thought it was posted here. but, searching can up short.

Anyone ?
    Last edited by Tarly; 08-22-2019, 01:28 PM. Reason: define what LOGO I meant.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mastermikie View Post
    i would like to hear from anyone who has been using the chat within the starter kit successfully. we have been building our game for just over 6 months and have come quite a ways but still cannot get a stable chat running. it tends to stall out the client after 5 mins or so of idle time. this has not worked correctly for us from day 1. we are currently on the latest version of the kit. any help would be appreciated.
    I've rewritten the chat server almost from scratch for the next release, because it was getting buggy for some reason and I couldn't see why.

The new version handles concurrency correctly (the old one did not). And it's code that's easier to read, I think. And the connection goes through this plugin https://unrealengine.com/marketplace...-socket-plugin
    With it, you can serialize anything you want in blueprints -- very easily.

Hopefully you'll have better luck with this new version. I'll release it when new UE4 version comes out.
    Last edited by CodeSpartan; 08-17-2019, 10:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by yskwork View Post
    UE4.22 no use OnlineSubsystemSteam , how to get Steam player AccountName
    I don't know if they made any headway with this since last time I had to work with steam api, but the way I did it last year - I modified the UE4 engine to add this stuff myself. It's just a matter of exposing it.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Originally posted by GangstaCat1987 View Post
    Hello to all!

Once again I want to raise the question of changing the character choice in the game (model of a man or a woman).

I want to understand how this system works. In picture 2 (class selection widget), how does the MySQL database work?

There is for example a ModularPlayerCharacter, I recreated the change of the skeleton grid, animation and material. Everything works well, but I cannot understand how it interacts with the base, for example, I choose a man and a model of a man appears in my game, if I create a woman, then I should have a model of a woman.

I’m wondering where to find the ModularPlayerCharacter relationship with the MySQL database?

You want to modify the mmocreatecharacter.php and the Create Character Request function in UE4.
    Then you receive character in PlayerState -> GetCharacterResponse on server

Leave a comment:

• replied
    alr
    Originally posted by Tarly View Post
    I have not, BUT, I did just get https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...racter-creator implemented into the kit. I contacted a programmer from the MMOkit discord server and he wrangled CC into my game. If you need help getting UE 4 ability system hooked up. Posted a note in the Discord server or PM "Sprattstud" and let him know Tarly asked you to contact him. He also, got Quality game settings hooked up for me.

Next, I am going to ask him to Ad an "Easy BUTTON" for me. (joking, kinda) LOL..
    ight i'll try ask him

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have not, BUT, I did just get https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...racter-creator implemented into the kit. I contacted a programmer from the MMOkit discord server and he wrangled CC into my game. If you need help getting UE 4 ability system hooked up. Posted a note in the Discord server or PM "Sprattstud" and let him know Tarly asked you to contact him. He also, got Quality game settings hooked up for me.

Next, I am going to ask him to Ad an "Easy BUTTON" for me. (joking, kinda) LOL..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    have anyone succesfully implement ue4 gameplay ability system into mmo starter kit?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I used to interact with him/her All the time.. CS was active as hell. There was an issue a year ago... or more, and it seems like CS might have a real job now and less time to hang with us. Have you Skyped him/her? I have not tried that in forever... I also have ound that the Discord channel as a number of helpful blokes over there also. I am dry on ideas though. Sorry bud.

T.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    the oldest i have is the 1.16 version.
    i also wish to point out i have sent code spartan direct emails on sellfy, posted here and in the discord chat. to no avail. i believe he is like a unicorn or bigfoot. others claimed to have spotted him. but im still not convinced he exists.
    Last edited by mastermikie; 08-12-2019, 08:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have a older version of the chat server running. Have you tried an older version ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yes we are running the most current chat server from the 1.17 kit and fresh built source. i cannot say if we updated the php or not i will look into that directly. thanks for the pointer.

edit update: i checked the php scripts and they are all up to date with the kit. ofc we modified some of them and they have been checked against the newest php scripts and are correct. also our internal test system currently has the base kit installed and no firewalls between things. its as straight forward as it gets.
    Last edited by mastermikie; 08-12-2019, 08:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Rats.!

OHOH... a long time ago... I was running a copy of the game files... and didn't update for a few versions (of the PHP) files. CodeSpartan almost thru watermelon at me, because it took a while to Diagnose it.

Are you using the newest chat server folder from the kit ?

I know it seems like a DUH question. But, since I made that one error, I thought I might ask.

T.

Um, come to think of it, I don't know what version of the chat folder I AM running.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    We have 3 separate server arrangements. that particular one uses a host x.x.x.com nested domain. our test server which we control 100% uses x.com and we have an internal one all ip based. all 3 of them do the exact same thing. =/
    Last edited by mastermikie; 08-12-2019, 07:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X