Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Legionarus View Post
    I apologize if this has been asked before, but how many players does the base version of the starter kit handle? Also how big can the map size be?
    ... I believe the last I saw was a test of that base map with something like a couple hundred clients connected with zero issues, and it wasn't that it was the limit to its capabilities, but the amount of players they could scrape up at the time, the limitations are based on your ability to not waste resources and to mitigate gpu and cpu usage. And that was a long time ago, there might have been a larger test since.

How big the map is, well is up to you and your ability to use the tools UE4 provides to minimize GPU/CPU usage. A lot of people want that open world, but that's not always the smartest way.

Multiple maps with choked portals to connect to different maps run separately is a good way (in this case each map being set to a different port, pretty sure that is covered in the starter guide?), but if you are going for open world feel, look into streaming levels.

I don't think map-size is specifically an mmo kit related issue. Look into tools like occlusion, LODs and other techniques to pull off big world builds, be weary of tessellation on big maps, a lot of people buy auto landscaping materials on the market which use tessellation to look good, that will cause serious lag on big maps, so if you use those be sure to turn tessellation down or off and minimize spawned foliage (if you look at real games out there they usually have much less spawned stuff and foliage then most Unreal scenes that I have seen.)

I have personally tested level streaming with the kit (where only the chunk you are looking at is loaded, not just occluded.)

... but long story short, multiple servers ran on different ports each holding a map, then connecting through some portal in game... or level streaming for a huge open world feel, is what I would go with, both are pretty routine. That's not to say there aren't more answers out there, you could branch out to youtube or other forum discussions talking about these things, the discussions around here seem more mmo kit related but there are a TON of resources out there about pulling off large maps.

...but don't take my word for it, I almost never speak around here but I do read this topic. =)
    Last edited by 6gg Studios; 06-05-2020, 08:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I apologize if this has been asked before, but how many players does the base version of the starter kit handle? Also how big can the map size be?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello, since i have installed the Steam online subsytem in my game. When a client try to connect to the dedicated server, i receive this error : PreLogin failure: incompatible_unique_net_id and the client cannot connect?

What i need to add to be able to run your kit with the Steam online susbsystem?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm using a fresh 4.25 version of the kit atm. You answer my problem.
    I'm in PIE editor and i was triing to use chat on vps server with the mysql. But now it's good if i launch the chat on the dev computer.

Thx a lot. Good evening

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Are you using unmodified mmo kit version?

This is where the error happens in your code:

Do you have the same code in this method?

But this code is for client only. Why is your server not connecting to chat?
    In PIE the editor will always attempt to connect to 127.0.0.1. But in cooked build, the server will attempt to connect to the address from mmogetserver.php.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi CodeSpartan,
    i have a little problem for use the player chat. I'm on windows 2016 server and 4.25 version of your kit
    i think the configuration is good but he dont work when i play from the UE4 editor. All character stats / name etc work but not the chat.
    the chat is on the same server avec mysql and i use the exact same hostname. i try to desactivate the firewall but it's the same.

In your chat folder there is a newtonsoft.json.dll . do i need to drop it on a windows system folder for use the chat ?

my chat windows :

Click image for larger version

Name:	tempsnip.png
Views:	587
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	1762014

i also have this message after stop play :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	541
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1762015

Thx
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Meriamon; 05-16-2020, 08:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes.
    (Can't post just one word... "Please enter a message with at least 10 characters")

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So only changes between .24 and .25 is the varest and tcp plugins?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes. Described a few posts above.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    CodeSpartan figured it out. In case anyone else is running on window's server and comes across this check in your mime types in your iis server and make sure to manually add in the 7zip to it. That is what was causing the files to come down with no data in them. now on to trying to figure out how to migrate my 4.24 project to the 4.25 any easy way of doing this?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The uploader gets to 99/100 but still says completed hit any key to close but does not close on any key.
    That's fine, that's just some racing conditions. I know that it happens sometimes, but since it's a developer tool and players never see this, I just never fixed this. It's not indicative of any problem though. It's just that the processes ended before "100%" could be drawn on screen, and the program quit.

Originally posted by melfesto View Post
    The zip file hash shows the files being bigger then then hash files.
    Probably because it's the size of unzipped files.

Originally posted by melfesto View Post
    When i use the launcher it will pull down the folder structure and the files to the temp folder but all the files come down as having 0kb in them
    That's definitely a problem.
    When the uploader uploads the big zip file, instead of going to the admin panel and hitting "deploy update", try downloading the big archive manually and check if everything is ok inside.
    My guess is that all is ok inside that big archive, which would mean that the php's "deployment" script messes something up, probably due to the php script being interrupted during execution (some hosters shut down scripts that take longer than 8-10 seconds), or php being misconfigured. In that case, looking at php's log would probably help figure out what's going on.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    CodeSpartan Running into some issues with the updater/deploy/launcher on windows server2012 R2 hosting system i have. The uploader gets to 99/100 but still says completed hit any key to close but does not close on any key. The deploy looks fine when moving the files but seems like there is something strange going on between the hash file and the zip file inside the sizes for the files seem off. The zip file hash shows the files being bigger then then hash files. They all have a size and none show 0 so the next part is whats driven me crazy. When i use the launcher it will pull down the folder structure and the files to the temp folder but all the files come down as having 0kb in them and on the move from the temp file to the game folder the files seem to just be deleted and i am only left with the folder structure with no files. Any idea what could be causing this spent the better part of 3 days trying everything i can think to get it working even down to completely reinstalling everything on the server fresh os.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've uploaded the 4.25 version on Sellfy.

If you want to upgrade an existing project from 4.24 to 4.25, get the latest version of VaRest and TCP Socket Plugin (they're probably not yet available on the marketplace, so wait for them or get them from the 4.25 version on Sellfy).
    Then do the following in blueprints: https://youtu.be/y8KxODQOR0U

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by AlleyKilla View Post
    Are there varest specific logs or just the generic ue logs?

From what I've been able to gather from the logs AuthorizeEnter never gets called in the packaged build and it just loads in a generic character.
    The "generic character" gets loaded if something fails in the process of retrieving your character. So yes, you have to look at logs (on the server side) and see what fails.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Are there varest specific logs or just the generic ue logs?

From what I've been able to gather from the logs AuthorizeEnter never gets called in the packaged build and it just loads in a generic character.
    Last edited by AlleyKilla; 05-07-2020, 05:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X