Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic MMO Starter Kit

MMO Starter Kit

MMO Starter Kit is available for purchase on Sellfy!
    Online documentation for version 1.17 (UE 4.22.0)
    Unofficial Discord channel

older documentation: 1.16 | 1.15 | 1.14 | 1.13 | 1.12 | 1.11 | 1.10 | 1.9 | 1.8 | 1.7 | 1.5 | 1.4 | 1.3 | 1.2 | 1.1 | 1.0

Update 06/04: 4.22 port + changes link

Update 12/11: 4.21 port + 1 bug fix link
    Update 20/07: 4.20 port link
    Update 17/03: 4.19 port + bug fixes link

Update 08/12: Minor tweaks and bug fixes link
    Update 31/10: 4.18 port
    Update 19/08: 4.17 port
    Update 26/05: 4.16 port, bug fixes link
    Update 23/02: 4.15 port

Update 16/12: Bug fixes, 4.14 port link
    Update 04/09: Animated loading screen, 4.13 port link
    Update 28/07: Clans, clan chat, 4.12.5 port link
    Update 06/04: A reworked Launcher, aggressive behavior tree, ability to delete characters, 4.11 port link

Update 15/11: Group mechanics, private and group chat, 4.10 port link
    Update 04/09: Hotbar, localization support, 4.9 port link
    Project Genom - a sci-fi MMO built using MMO Starter Kit has been Greenlit link
    Update 26/06: Quests, health regen, 4.8.1 port link
    Update 01/03: Equipment and better security, 4.7 port link

Update 24/12: Inventory and loot link
    Update 6/12 140+ active players confirmed running smoothly! link

Download demo client
    (330 MB download, 1.5 GB free space required for the install)

Demo controls: I - inventory, C - equipment, P - abilities

The first video: (pretty outdated!)

Hi everyone,

I would like to present the project that I've been working on for quite some time already - MMO Starter Kit. I have been carrying the idea of an MMO kit for more than a year now, and have tried different engines and approaches, but only when I saw Unreal 4 this became a serious project for me. I believe that Unreal Blueprint system can truly allow anyone to create their own MMO game, and with the engine's next-gen graphics that game can turn out to be truly fantastic.

Anyways, let me sum up the features that are already present in the MMO kit:
    • All source code included
    • Fully in Blueprints. I'm an experienced programmer but Blueprints have totally won me over. The only subsystem that I had to code was the connection to the socket chat server and I made it into a plugin so it's still being accessed from Blueprints.
    • Persistent storage of data in a mySQL database. Character position and stats are saved when the character logs off and restored when it enters world again.
    • No third-party solution (such as Photon or RakNet) required - so no monthly fees and you are free to host your server anywhere you want. I'm hosting the demo server on Softlayer and will provide detailed instructions on how to set up a server for those who are new to dedicated servers in general.
    • Registration, login and character creation.
    • Authoritative server
    • Launcher/autoupdater that can update the game and itself (separate application, in C#). Because you don't want to make your users download the full game over again after each minor update
    • Combat and targeting
    • Roaming and aggressive NPCs that fight back and chase after the player if attacked
    • Inventory and loot, droppable items
    • Equipment
    • Quests
    • Player and NPC respawn
    • Combat log
    • Classic MMO controls (think World of Warcraft)
    • Groups and clans
    • Global, private, party and clan chat
    • UMG user interface

Closing note: MMO's are pretty feared in indie gamedev community and new users who have a MMO dream are often laughed at. There's also an aura of secrecy about them, maintained by people who have once dived into MMOs a little but failed and are unwilling to share their knowledge with the others, prefering to discourage them instead. Well, they are wrong. It is possible to create an MMO, and it doesn't necessarily cost millions. Just as Unreal 4's graphics would cost millions to achieve some few years ago, those things just become more available as the time goes. My goal is to create the best MMO kit for Unreal, with extensive documentation that covers not only how to work with the kit from within Unreal, but also things like how to order and set up a dedicated Softlayer server.

Credits: I would like to say thank you to Vladimir Alyamkin (ufna) for his wonderful VaRest Plugin, released under MIT license. It's people like this who move the indie gamedev community forward.

The authors of the free assets that are used in the demo:

Sword Girl model (used only on the demo server, not distributed) - Bunt Games
    Inventory icons - Ravenmore, Flare icons
    Black & white icons for empty slots - game-icons.net
    Inventory sounds - qubodup, Akeroyc
    female voices - AderuMoro, MadamVicious
    male voices - Michel Baradari

The map used in the demo is by Epic Games.

Last edited by CodeSpartan; 04-06-2019, 01:33 PM.

• replied
    i started using the mmokit 1.6 with ue4.21, i run the server components on a win 2016 server behind a ubuntu 16 firewall. i have had issue from day one just using the basic kit with no mods stalling the chat. i recently switched to the newest 1.7 on ue4.22. same results. i tried moving the server onto a public ip with no firewall what so ever to ensure it wasnt the firewall. still stalls. i tried running the chat server on a win10 copy to ensure it wasnt the os. still same story. it connects and works great for about 5 mins. the server log shows the client connecting in the chat log. but when the client stops responding the server log shows nothing. if a client logs out while the chat is working the log shows it. but after the client stops the log does not show the client log out. as if the client stopped talking to the server. if you log out and log back in the server sees the login. and it works for fine till you stop chatting for about 4-5 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Im stuck on something wondering if anyone else can help me. When I use "Open Level" it crashes the editor BUT when I use "Open Level" with a "trigger box" it works flawlessly. I want to be able to save and load into levels and ive pretty much incorporated it completely besides being able to actually load into the level I want. The things I tried are making a loading level with a "delay" upon "event begin" and it crashes, making it load the level before going into the world and again crashes...

I have a feeling it has to do with "open level". Is there another way to do it?

Ps I already have the SQL database saving current map I just cant load into those maps because of the crashing.

after rereading the documentation I got this working. Made a mistake in the log window
    Last edited by Blah11; 06-12-2019, 09:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Excuse me, I can't reset the password of my Selly website and prompt error Captcha malformed. What should I do?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Released a free plugin today on the marketplace: https://unrealengine.com/marketplace/tcp-socket-plugin
    I'll be integrating it with the MMOKit soon. It should make communication with the chat server easier, since it won't require any C++ anymore.
    I also want to get rid of C++ data assets, since now UE4 allows to make them in blueprints.
    I intend to make the entire project a pure blueprints project.
    Also a couple of fixes in the chat server are to be expected.
    And a few bugfixes in the kit, which were recently reported. E.g., you can kill friendly NPCs if you switch from a hostile target to a friendly target mid-fight
    Last edited by CodeSpartan; 05-14-2019, 02:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, since i have installed the Steam layer in my game. When a lcient try to connect to the dedicated server i receive this error PreLogin failure: incompatible_unique_net_id and the client cannot connect?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MikeRPG View Post
    Can I hook the database/registration up to a Debian9 VPS? I want this package only for the registration/login system and want to set it up on a remote linux server if possible. I have a LAMP stack already installed with phpmyadmin working and db's setup/ready to go.
    I don't know why not, but then I'm not deeply familiar with configuring webservers.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can I hook the database/registration up to a Debian9 VPS? I want this package only for the registration/login system and want to set it up on a remote linux server if possible. I have a LAMP stack already installed with phpmyadmin working and db's setup/ready to go.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Brilliant, Thank You so much !!!
    But it was all in vain lol I don't know what happened but this time it worked, somehow...

Thank You for such a warm welcome, it's supercalifragilisticexpialidociously encouraging ! I'm pursuing game making as a simple hobby for now and it's not always easy getting the help I need, so thanks a bunch, it means a lot !

EDIT : Thanks for sharing, that tutorial end up being a lot more thorough than the one I followed on the forum. Thank You Very Much.
    Last edited by Allure et Charme; 05-05-2019, 06:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    HI Allure...

It has been some time since I renamed my kit..

My notes say:

"Used this You_tube to rename Cleanthird to ClawsandPaws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmK-A8Dh_Ms

Fixed three days of shyte and heart ache trying to follow the unreal article.

After renameā€¦ compiled game and C&P was born."

If memory serves correct, I still had to use search and like they show in the youtube video, and rename a couple things the video didn't show. then recompile..

Hope this helps get you on the right track.

Oh, and Congratz on buying the kit, and welcome to the club. I look forward to seeing screenies if you care to share your progress.
    Last edited by Tarly; 05-05-2019, 11:38 AM. Reason: slight typo adjust

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank You very much, that was indeed the problem. I would also like to catch your attention on something that I have been trying out and that is renaming the project, I have tried it several times without success following this guide : https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...c-project.html

And so far, it looks like there is still one area we still need to rename, but I don't understand what it is. I have tried many times with and without deleting the saved and intermediary folders but to no avail.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Allure et Charme View Post
    Hello,

I just bough the kit for UE4.22 and I am getting what seems to be BP errors when I open the start map. I got an error on one occasion on the main map, but it seemed like nonsense to me, talking about a cylinder that needed to be movable when there is no such object in the project.
    I compiled everything under VS with no errors or warnings.

Here is the message log.
    Looks like you're playing the StartMap with "dedicated server" enabled. Just uncheck it whenever you want to test the StartMap. The StartMap is a particular case, because you don't want to start a server with this map for obvious reasons.

I'll implement a warning about that in the next version, if a developer launches it that way.
    Last edited by CodeSpartan; 05-05-2019, 01:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello,

I just bough the kit for UE4.22 and I am getting what seems to be BP errors when I open the start map. I got an error on one occasion on the main map, but it seemed like nonsense to me, talking about a cylinder that needed to be movable when there is no such object in the project.
    I compiled everything under VS with no errors or warnings.

Here is the message log.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Has anyone had any success creating a VR MMORPG (or even a small multiplayer like a scaled down WoW in VR) with this kit?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    will u add more features like skill tree,revamp or improve the launcher(because the settings.ini show the webhosting)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X