MMO Starter Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jwatte View Post
    Gerrod: The code you posted will let two different players request the same character name at the same time, if you run servers in parallel.
    This is because you first attempt to select to check for name free, and then attempt to insert, without keeping both operations in a single transaction.

A better option would be to make sure that you have a unique index on the character name field, and just run the insert; if the insert fails, tell the user that the name is taken.
    That way, the check-for-available and actually-create-character operation is a single, atomic operation.
    Thats not my code. It's the standard code included in the kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerrod View Post
      Thats not my code. It's the standard code included in the kit.
      Then it's even more important that it gets fixed!

That also lowers my impression of the kit :-(
      Nobody who has shipped any actual multi-user app of any kind should write code like that.

Comment

Originally posted by jwatte View Post
        Then it's even more important that it gets fixed!

That also lowers my impression of the kit :-(
        Nobody who has shipped any actual multi-user app of any kind should write code like that.
        the kit is impressive work and easy to be tweaked

Comment

This is a great kit. I used especifically the Database section, aswell as migrating and adapting the chat server to my own project, which was a topdown view.
          After playing abit, first with the chatserver and having it working, I decided to mix it with the advanced social system, which brings more features to the table. Of course, I had to tweek abit the code in the mychatconnect sources, since there are a lot new commands added and message types

The only thing left to do is adjust/implement the Yell/Say distances, aswell as the Trade Channel (Global is already kinda included with the normal Say of the mmo kit) and add the channel infront of the chatbox like in the chatinput
          Another thing to mention is that if you havent purchase this, well, you should, since its a great GREAT kit to learn how things work and connect.. even if you only know the basics this will get you on the right way.
          GJ codeSpartan. Love the launcher aswell (pretty neat)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Namesis; 12-01-2016, 11:27 PM.

Comment

a few months ago, a few of the MMOkit owners tried to merge the advanced soc. system with the MMOKit. (I believe) If you have been able to do it, is could you post a tut as to how ? I think a ton of us would be doing the HAPPY dance.

T.
            Clifford Brock

Gamer / Tinkers with MMO Kit
            Game: Claws&Paws

Comment

Hey guys trying to have a toggle for first/third person point of view but I'm having trouble referencing the character.

Comment

Also for some reason debug prints don't seem to be passing through.

Comment

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
                  I'm working on a project with a friend. I made a second database for him to work, we then merge his blueprints into my master project.

However he's having trouble entering world and getting this error.

Wrong client version - please make sure you have the latest client.
                  The server and client by default need to match each other, usually this is not an issue with the Kit because they build from the same project, in your friend case he is building his client from a different project. The same sort of issue happens when you split apart the client and server from each other into separate projects the client will never generate a matching Version number, you have to override the engines Network version check delegate with your own functionality to verify if a client is valid. A quick and dirty solution is to change the functionality to always return true for this check.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ion/index.html

You might also want to set the following in your DefaultEngine.ini files
                  [ConsoleVariables]
                  net.IgnorePackageMismatch=1

Because any different BP's and files in his package will potentially also cause the server to deny the client from connecting.

Comment

I used especifically the Database section
                    This is why I'm really sad to see such an obvious problem in the code. Maybe this is the only such bug in the entire codebase, but signs point to this being a wider-spread problem.
                    Thus, you are learning from code that is not production ready. As long as you're OK with that, and know how to move on after that, that might be OK, but I'd hate to see a game shipped with this kind of code and then get terribly owned, exploited, or just plain fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Demarii View Post
                      The server and client by default need to match each other, usually this is not an issue with the Kit because they build from the same project, in your friend case he is building his client from a different project. The same sort of issue happens when you split apart the client and server from each other into separate projects the client will never generate a matching Version number, you have to override the engines Network version check delegate with your own functionality to verify if a client is valid. A quick and dirty solution is to change the functionality to always return true for this check.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ion/index.html

You might also want to set the following in your DefaultEngine.ini files
                      [ConsoleVariables]
                      net.IgnorePackageMismatch=1

Because any different BP's and files in his package will potentially also cause the server to deny the client from connecting.
                      Heya, thanks for the advice, turns out he had downloaded the wrong version of unreal engine source.

Comment

Heyo, I thought I'd fixed the whole enter world problem but now it's come back again and the previous fix isn't helping. I really feel that there's some fundamental things I'm not understanding about the functioning of the start map. If anybody could offer help that would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
                          Heyo, I thought I'd fixed the whole enter world problem but now it's come back again and the previous fix isn't helping. I really feel that there's some fundamental things I'm not understanding about the functioning of the start map. If anybody could offer help that would be awesome.
                          Is it persistent or sporadic? There really isn't a whole lot going on in the Enter world process, basically getting the server address and then connecting to it. Probably would be easier to help knowing a bit more about how/where/what you are seeing. Also how much have you modified the original menu/connection/php scripts?

Comment

Haven't modified the original menu/connection/php scripts. And this error seems to have something to do with character id. But I can't fix it reliably.

Comment

When are you seeing this error when you try to log in, from editor, stand-alone, or package client? Does it happen for all cases? Might be easier to help over some form of comms program this sort of back and forth can take ages, perhaps skype or google hangout call to be able to share screen works best, or can use screenhero if you have that can work too.

Comment

Originally posted by Namesis View Post
                                This is a great kit. I used especifically the Database section, aswell as migrating and adapting the chat server to my own project, which was a topdown view.
                                After playing abit, first with the chatserver and having it working, I decided to mix it with the advanced social system, which brings more features to the table. Of course, I had to tweek abit the code in the mychatconnect sources, since there are a lot new commands added and message types

The only thing left to do is adjust/implement the Yell/Say distances, aswell as the Trade Channel (Global is already kinda included with the normal Say of the mmo kit) and add the channel infront of the chatbox like in the chatinput
                                Another thing to mention is that if you havent purchase this, well, you should, since its a great GREAT kit to learn how things work and connect.. even if you only know the basics this will get you on the right way.
                                GJ codeSpartan. Love the launcher aswell (pretty neat)
                                Any chance you would provide a tut on how to integrate the advanced Soc. kit to the MMOKit?

or

Take on a side job to do it for someone?

T.
                                Clifford Brock

Gamer / Tinkers with MMO Kit
                                Game: Claws&Paws

Comment

Working...
                                X