MMO Starter Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post
    You can check out saving character's position in CreateSaveCharacterRequest (blueprint MMOPlayerState), and loading happens in OnResponseGetCharacter.
    Thanks again!

WIP Thread

Comment

Hi all,

I am a php novice of the first degree. I've added more equipment slots, and obviously want to save them like the other equipment slots are saved. I've edited MMOPlayerState and the requisite php files to make this happen, and it totally works. YAY!

HOWEVER.

On PIE, when I load a character, I get spammed with the following error:

LogJson:Error: Json Value of type 'Null' used as a 'String'.

Like a bunch, way more than I have fields in the DB (35 in Character, but there's a couple hundred of these error messages).

As far as I know, I've got the defaults right in the DB for the equipment slots that I've added (varchar(100), Null: Yes, Default: Null) - as far as I can see, it's identical to how the existing equipment is handled.

Again, functionality is there, I can log in and log out and my equipment persists, but I'm not a fan of these error messages, and would like to be doing this correctly. I'm just not sure how! This only happens on loading a character, saving a character doesn't seem to throw any errors at all.

Comment

Greetings Mr. Spartan,

I am about to update to 4.13 for reasons non-related to this lovely kit. I was just wondering before I do. Version 1.7* of the kit isn't scheduled for any time soon is it? There's no reason for me to hold off on this is there?

Thanks much..

I haven't really touched the GUI or the mechanics that much, but here's some teasers of what I've been doing, for those of you like me that like to come on here and see what people have done with it.
        https://youtu.be/1u4VF3nfL0E
        ^shows character creation basics I've implemented using morph targets and slides... saves morph target values to the db.
        https://youtu.be/dQmJoLjqL3U
        ^shows implementation of the ocean and ship from the community ocean project in ue4 as well as other things
        https://youtu.be/XQtbuxSQUqA
        ^ shows one of the major cities and the arena, demonstrates post process and is pretty
        https://youtu.be/bR2QKcUlJDs
        ^ shows the fjord and some other junk... it has a weird rubberband effect in the recording, cause of bandicam overlay.. if anyone knows of a videocapture software that runs well alongside the editor without lag, I'd be much appreciative..
        http://mockupgames.net has more info and the youtube channel those were on has more videos and info, keep in mind I have since optimized all levels, bsp and SMs to have a steady 60fps at top graphic quality even with the tesselations.

Thanks all!

I enjoyed looking at your respective progresses and so I thought I'd share what I've been doing with this great kit. I utilize a lot of third party assets so if any of you see anything you like but don't recognize it from the market, just let me know and I'll steer you the right way. I love this community.
        Last edited by 6gg Studios; 09-01-2016, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by conFIGured View Post
          Does anybody know how to add more classes select in main menu(it states at a toggle widget) but i cant figure it out. [ATTACH=CONFIG]107182[/ATTACH]

I did it the hard way, and it worked, but i deleted it so i can try to figure out the better way lol but im stuck.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]107183[/ATTACH]

IT is pretty though!
          Haha I thought I was the only one that enjoyed such aesthetic visuals from massive blueprints.. I have a few of these beasts in my project, the sliderbars for the facial morphs is a monster like this. And now, of course.. After I've done it I see 10 ways to make it more efficient... but it doesn't lag and my OCD likes the way it looks in blueprint.

Comment

Yeah apparently there is some outdated stuff in the CleanThirdPersonBuild.cs referencing onlinesubsystemsteam which is keeping my project from converting to 4.13 anyhow, which is really odd since we aren't utilizing steam in this kit and I didn't add it? Very strange. So, scratch that last question and replace it with this. When can we get a 4.13 build? lol

I tried just removing the code that was causing the errors to see if it would fly, but it just snowballed into way more errors.

Update: I fixed the obsolete subsystem code, I just didn't realize I messed up the format. So, then it got past that and converted. However, the VaRest plugin is having entry point problems (as well as the ocean plugin if any of you use it, irrelevant here) So, I speculate there won't be a 4.13 build of the mmokit until the VaRest plugin gets updated to 4.13 atleast.

I usually don't hop on to a new editor version, however, I jumped the gun a bit because the trees I've been wanting to use are just broken in 4.12 but fixed in 4.13. Sucks but hey, when do all the planets line up so perfectly. I miss 4.11. lol... thanks for listening to this process.
            Last edited by 6gg Studios; 09-02-2016, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Oh.. but apparently they updated the VaRest plugin lastnight! Well.. I'm just blubbering on here. Ignore me. Good news then... hope it works lol. I'll test it and see if the 4.12.5 version will work if I throw in the new VaRest plugin. I'll post my findings later if no official news is released.

Ok so: If you already have your project files generated for visual studio, and you can open it in visual studio and access the CleanThirdPersonBuild.cs under resources/cleanthirdperson/ then your in luck, comment out all that **** calling the steam subsystem. (which is outdated in 4.13, you just use the plugin for steam sub system now and don't stupidly miss a closing bracket like I did), then right-click your launcher switch engine version to your compiled 4.13 version, throw the new VaRestplugin for 4.13 from github in place of your old one... and whammo... you now have the 4.12.5 mmokit seemingly working well in 4.13...

If you haven't already generated your project files and are starting from scratch... be a sane person and just wait for the official build because you probably won't be able to generate the visual studio files (or if you are dead set on it, generate and compile it in 4.12.5 editor and then do this)... if you are afraid of messing up your project or just haven't learned how to back things up, or think that the unreal editor compiled from source is the devil... just wait for the official 4.13 mmo kit build... But if you are like me and mess your project up twice a day and fix it or copy from back up and have some stupid reason to rush it.. ( though at this point i just didn't want it to win) then good luck...

I also changed the true to false where the OSS "<bCompileSteamOSS>false</bCompileSteamOSS>" in buildconfiguration.xml, I don't think this is necessary... however if you do that above and it still gives the OSS error... then just hit ctrl f in VS and search for steam, it will pop up and be pretty obvious after a few next results.

Again.. It probably won't be long before this isn't necessary, but if you have some reason (I just really want to world build) then good luck works and isn't that terribly hard.
              Last edited by 6gg Studios; 09-02-2016, 06:04 PM.

Comment

For some reason I cannot get this to build the server, I can create a toon in the editor, but that is as far as I can get....

D:\UE4\Epic Games\4.12\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Server\Development\UELinkerFixups\PCH.UELinkerFixupsName.h.cpp(2): error C2857: '#include' statement specified with the /YcC:\mmogame\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Server\DebugGame\UELinkerFixupsName.h command-line option was not found in the source file
                1> VaRestPlugin.generated.cpp
                1>d:\ue4\epic games\4.12\engine\source\runtime\inputcore\public\../Classes/InputCoreTypes.h(5): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'InputCoreTypes.generated.h': No such file or directory
                1>d:\ue4\epic games\4.12\engine\source\runtime\inputcore\public\../Classes/InputCoreTypes.h(5): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'InputCoreTypes.generated.h': No such file or directory

...then it errors out, I tried re-installing the entire 4.12 engine and source, and deleting the entire project and Generating the Visual Studio Project Files, no dice... Any help on this?
                Last edited by DarkLichNY; 09-03-2016, 07:08 PM.

Comment

The build for UE 4.13 is up on Sellfy and the demo server!

In this build I've integrated LoadingScreen plugin by Nick Darnell, in order to be able to have animated loading screens and to get rid of the old glitchy one.

If you just want to port your existing 4.12 project to 4.13, here's what needs to be done:
                  1) in CleanThirdPerson.Build.cs remove those lines:

Code:
                   if ((Target.Platform == UnrealTargetPlatform.Win32) || (Target.Platform == UnrealTargetPlatform.Win64))
                     {
                      if (UEBuildConfiguration.bCompileSteamOSS == true)
                      {
                       DynamicallyLoadedModuleNames.Add("OnlineSubsystemSteam");
                      }
                     }

2) Download the newest version of VaRest plugin and replace the one in the Plugins folder of the project.
                  3) Open the project. In RoamBlackboard change AttackTarget's Base Class to Actor.
                  4) In RoamBT and AggressiveBT replace RapidMoveTo node with MoveTo node, passing AttackTarget.
                  MMO Starter Kit
                  Dialogue Plugin
                  Voxel Plugin
                  Character Customization: Female

Comment

Originally posted by DarkLichNY View Post
                    For some reason I cannot get this to build the server
                    Are you using the source-built engine from github? The error looks like the one you get when using the regular engine from the launcher. If you have both engines, right-click on the .uproject file and select "Switch UE4 version" to make sure the project is using the correct (source-built) engine.

Originally posted by Terpsychore View Post
                    On PIE, when I load a character, I get spammed with the following error:
                    Looks like one of the variables returned by mmogetcharacter.php is null and you're calling "Get String Field" on it in MMOPlayerState.
                    MMO Starter Kit
                    Dialogue Plugin
                    Voxel Plugin

Comment

Hey Code....

The version on Selfy has the changes made right?

I should be able to export my stuff from the 4.11 and kit.. then import it to the 4.14 ?

T.
                      Clifford Brock

Gamer / Tinkers with MMO Kit
                      Game: Claws&Paws

Comment

Built 4.13 with the new source just fine, thanks for the tip...

Comment

Originally posted by Tarly View Post
                          Hey Code....

The version on Selfy has the changes made right?

I should be able to export my stuff from the 4.11 and kit.. then import it to the 4.14 ?

T.
                          The only change since last version was the addition of the loading screen plugin.

If you've already made some progress with your game, it could be best for you to just port your existing project to 4.13 and not to download the latest build of the kit (just like as you would do if you started from the official TPP or ShooterGame template).
                          MMO Starter Kit
                          Dialogue Plugin
                          Voxel Plugin

Comment

All of my stuff has been in 4.11.2 And since my dev machine was down for 3-4 months.. I don't have a super lot done since the last time we talked. My parents asked me to ocme to LForida for 2 months... fishing in the gulf took all of my time up. LOL... My Cystic Fobrosis acted up and I had to come home, and then spend almost a month in the hospital. Now, after two RMA's from Gigabyte, they told me it was my CPU. So, I sent it off to intel and they agreed. So, I just got the new CPU in the machine day before yesterday. LOL. I am looking forward to getting back to learning about the kit and working on my dream.

I have a couple questions... Any constructive feed back would be appre. from anyone.

1) Gerrod posted a few months back a KICK *** GUI.. He had a cool grey outline box.. non standard... and then had a slinder in the middle of the box and he could slide the right side of the box up and down... Anyone that has a link for a tut or that could email me any ideas on that would be appreciated. I emailed Gerrod but, I believe he is busy or something as I have not heard back from him.

2) I took the free compass that Neomdain did the tut on and I would like to display it as a circle of the compass on the screen with the arrorw on it... and when you mouse over the circle it would show the box around it. Again, any tuts or advice would be great.

3) (Directed at code Spartan) The new patcher you came out with needs more than 120 seconds to run and my web server provider says 120 seconds is all I can get. (On my current setup) You were talking about breaking up the patcher duties to sections to run, any progress on that ?

4) to the best of my knowledge I only had made large changes to the mainmenu and some in Gamehud, FullUI and MMOplayer controller. But, Main menu is where a ton of stuff is that I don't really want to have to recreate AGAIN. LOL.. Can I export these to 4.13 and not hose everything up like I did when I tried to export mainmenu to the kit version where you added "delete toon" stuff.... that really screwed up my stuff. LOL

5) and last but not least. Could someone post a flow chart or something on how the kit moves from mainmenu log in to Character create screen then how it gets to loading the demo map. I was pounding my head my desk for DAYS just before my machine went down... CS sent me a snipet of what I should be doing and I was just lost. Since a numver of you have goptten your own "Character Create screens" working I am hoping for advice.

Thank you all for posting what you have done building your dreams... you inspire me to keep learning myself. And thank you to any of you that can help me learn how to accomplaish what I am trying to do.
                            I am not asking you to do it.. but.. hints, tuts , ideas or leads would be awesome.

Tarly

AKA Cliff
                            Clifford Brock

Gamer / Tinkers with MMO Kit
                            Game: Claws&Paws

Comment

3) (Directed at code Spartan) The new patcher you came out with needs more than 120 seconds to run and my web server provider says 120 seconds is all I can get. (On my current setup) You were talking about breaking up the patcher duties to sections to run, any progress on that ?
                              Best advice I can give is to change the server provider to one that allows execution longer than 120 secs. Mine does it in less than 120 secs by the way. I'd liek to optimize it down the road, but it's not very simple, so I didn't have the time to tackle it yet.

4) to the best of my knowledge I only had made large changes to the mainmenu and some in Gamehud, FullUI and MMOplayer controller. But, Main menu is where a ton of stuff is that I don't really want to have to recreate AGAIN. LOL.. Can I export these to 4.13 and not hose everything up like I did when I tried to export mainmenu to the kit version where you added "delete toon" stuff.... that really screwed up my stuff.
                              If you have that many changes, I recommend not getting the new version of the kit, but to simply convert your project to 4.13. (following these steps)
                              MMO Starter Kit
                              Dialogue Plugin
                              Voxel Plugin

Comment

Hello. This is stange i downloaded latest version. Updated. And when lick play nothing happend. #(

Comment

Working...
                                X