No announcement yet.

MMO Starter Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CleanThirdPerson could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manually. such error antivirus no

Comment

Hello. I’m trying to understand the limits of your package running on UE4.

What’s the maximum map size? From what I understand the maximum size is 2K by 2K because streaming doesn't work with MMOs. Is this correct? If so, how are bigger maps handled? Is the idea to trigger and switch zones? It seems games like WOW had a relatively large continent that didn't require different zones unless I couldn't notice the transition, but they clearly had transition screens when moving between continents or special zones.

Thanks!

Comment

hi guys!
        i am developing a game with this package, so far is working well, but i have a question.
        1. i have multiple maps, and i can start these using the dedicated server. but how can i implement into the client to load my character into the map he was last on?
        2. how can i start an instanced server with a map for a party and move the characters there?

Comment

Originally posted by romanbys View Post
          Hello. I’m trying to understand the limits of your package running on UE4.

What’s the maximum map size? From what I understand the maximum size is 2K by 2K because streaming doesn't work with MMOs. Is this correct? If so, how are bigger maps handled? Is the idea to trigger and switch zones? It seems games like WOW had a relatively large continent that didn't require different zones unless I couldn't notice the transition, but they clearly had transition screens when moving between continents or special zones.

Thanks!
          Hi. The map size is mostly limited by the number of players (about 100-140), not km. You can have several server processes on a single physical server (about 8 full zones on a regular quad-core dedicated server machine). Currently, traveling between server processes (zones) can be done with a loading screen. I've implemented a seamless solution for Project Genom and I plan to release it eventually, but I want to release regular zone travel and on-demand instances first. WoW uses the same principle I believe, since the enemies from the old zone disappear when you change zones.

Originally posted by eolet View Post
          hi guys!
          i am developing a game with this package, so far is working well, but i have a question.
          1. i have multiple maps, and i can start these using the dedicated server. but how can i implement into the client to load my character into the map he was last on?
          2. how can i start an instanced server with a map for a party and move the characters there?
          1. You could add a “map” column to the “characters” table in the database and save the map along with other character info (in MMOPlayerState blueprint, CreateSaveCharacterRequest). When the client gets the list of its characters with name, level, etc, it should also receive the map and use it to connect to the right server.

After the connection, when the server retrieves the character data from the database (MMOPlayerState blueprint, OnResponseGetCharacter), it should also receive the map and compare it to the map this server is running. If the map is the same, it means the player has returned from being offline, so the location from the database should be used (the current default behavior). If the map is different, it means the character has traveled from another map and should be placed at some “portal” or “door” location.

I actually plan to add this mechanic to the kit soon.

2. You could modify the C# socket chat server's code to launch instances on demand, that's what I did for Project Genom.
          MMO Starter Kit
          Dialogue Plugin
          Voxel Plugin
          Character Customization: Female
          Character Custmization: Male

Comment

Hi. The map size is mostly limited by the number of players (about 100-140), not km. You can have several server processes on a single physical server (about 8 full zones on a regular quad-core dedicated server machine). Currently, traveling between server processes (zones) can be done with a loading screen.
            Thanks for the quick reply!

So from what I understand then you really couldn't have a large open world (as in the Kite demo which I believe is 10 miles x 10 miles) or for that matter a WOW continent which is estimated at 9 miles by 4 miles because the number of player limitation in that space. You would have to break up a continent into sub-areas with some type of clever transition between sub-areas to keep populations down per area OR you would have to keep the entire continent down around 100 players. Correct?

So a game like WOW which has a huge number of players in a single location is doing something different OR they have very high powered servers?

Thanks!

Comment

You would have to break up a continent into sub-areas with some type of clever transition between sub-areas to keep populations down per area OR you would have to keep the entire continent down around 100 players. Correct?

So a game like WOW which has a huge number of players in a single location is doing something different OR they have very high powered servers?
              This is what WoW does - each zone (e.g. Orgrimmar, Durotar, etc) is a server process with seamless transitions (that's why when you enter a zone, suddenly a bunch of mobs pop up in front of you), at least that's how it was last time I played.

With default UE4 engine it's about 100-150 players per zone (for example ARK developers said they're aiming for 100 players per server for the release), and a lot of other modern FPS games have a similar limit. I guess it could be optimized further, but that's enough for the game I'm working on since you can have multiple zones per physical server or even clone a zone if it reaches the player limit.
              Last edited by CodeSpartan; 08-11-2016, 12:56 AM.
              MMO Starter Kit
              Dialogue Plugin
              Voxel Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post

After the connection, when the server retrieves the character data from the database (MMOPlayerState blueprint, OnResponseGetCharacter), it should also receive the map and compare it to the map this server is running. If the map is the same, it means the player has returned from being offline, so the location from the database should be used (the current default behavior). If the map is different, it means the character has traveled from another map and should be placed at some “portal” or “door” location.

2. You could modify the C# socket chat server's code to launch instances on demand, that's what I did for Project Genom.
                1. yes! thank you, that is a very good solution and i will implement it like this.
                2. can you elaborate a little? you mean i can use the chat server to start a new map server instance? like launching a new server processes for that instance on a physical server from a command?

Comment

Thanks again for the reply! Appreciated!

From what I read ARK is approximately 36 square kilometers of land mass. Not that I’m starting here but from what you know can you create a large “continent” using World Machine or similar and sculpt it into UE using the streaming as they did in the “kite” demo (which was 100 square miles I think) and having it work with MMO? Of course having it somehow portal/door/whatever between sections of the continent.

Thanks again!

Comment

Hello CodeSpartan, i would have few questions in regards to MMO kit if you could answer me. Is it possible to develop game with default UE4 dedicated server structure in mind (and Steam SDK) and before the gameplay is done picking up MMO Kit as server solution ,or does it have to be done from ground up with kit in mind? Just asking becouse its authoritative server, perhaps gameplay has to be developed from ground up with this architecture in cross.

Comment

Originally posted by eolet View Post
                      you mean i can use the chat server to start a new map server instance? like launching a new server processes for that instance on a physical server from a command?
                      Yep, that's correct. You would have to modify the C# source of the chat server for that.

can you create a large “continent” using World Machine or similar and sculpt it into UE using the streaming as they did in the “kite” demo (which was 100 square miles I think) and having it work with MMO? Of course having it somehow portal/door/whatever between sections of the continent.
                      Yes, it will work. It depends on the number of players you want on that map - for 100-150 players (like ARK servers) you don't even need portals/doors - just 1 server instance will be enough, and clients can use World Composition streaming.

Originally posted by janpec View Post
                      or does it have to be done from ground up with kit in mind?
                      MMO Kit is similar to a template project or a demo such as ShooterGame - the easiest way to work with it is to customize it, you can't easily "add" it to another project.
                      MMO Starter Kit
                      Dialogue Plugin
                      Voxel Plugin

Comment

Awesome responses. I'll definitely be getting your kit as soon as my new computer is on my desk! Really appreciate all your respones.

You would have to modify the C# source of the chat server for that.
                        Is that a chat server you wrote or is that part of the engine? I see that in the engine documentation there is information on XMPP (Jabber) making me think you can install a Jabber server and interface with it so you can get all the built infunctionality of a full chat server. Thoughts on that?

Thanks again!

Comment

Is that a chat server you wrote or is that part of the engine?
                          MMO Kit comes with a socket C# chat server, I meant that one.

I see that in the engine documentation there is information on XMPP (Jabber) making me think you can install a Jabber server and interface with it so you can get all the built infunctionality of a full chat server. Thoughts on that?
                          For an MMO it's best to use a custom written chat server (instead of IRC/Jabber), such as the one that comes with the MMO Kit. It's because it needs to know about groups/guilds, zones and such.
                          MMO Starter Kit
                          Dialogue Plugin
                          Voxel Plugin

Comment

Hi,

I'm following your work since the beginning and congrats for the stuff you have done.
                            I'm really interesting into the seamless travelling of player actors between zone server. I know you said that you will do a "usual loading screen first", but do you have any ETA for this feature?
                            If I understand properly, each server will manage a zone and client will seamless move from 1 server to another. Does the client will use the level streaming process to manage this so it's smooth on its side and you are changing the server "cleverly"?

thanks,

Comment

Hi,
                              I don't have an ETA for that yet, since I indeed want to add regular travel and dynamic instances first.
                              Originally posted by Elvince View Post
                              Does the client will use the level streaming process to manage this so it's smooth on its side
                              Yes.
                              MMO Starter Kit
                              Dialogue Plugin
                              Voxel Plugin

Comment

[MENTION=25447]CodeSpartan[/MENTION]
                                Been prototyping on UE4 for almost a year now and started using the kit a few months ago.
                                Just want to say thanks for all the great work your doing !

Comment

Working...
                                X