MMO Starter Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pachewygames View Post
    So - for the last two years I have been working on a project in unity3d. Sadly, the tech I was using is outdated now, and have been lurking in this thread since December of '14. Today I bought the MMO Starter pack, and will be transferring all of my Unity assets to UE4. Which is going to take a couple of months to do. Because.. there is a lot.
    I plan to rebuild the terrains by hand inside of UE, rather than try and export them and have to retexture anyway - plus, I feel the look will be better this way.

Just saying hi, and that's just what I'm up to. Looking forward to guilds
    Welcome to Unreal man..

This kit is rocking, as you probably know since you have been lurkin for some time. I just thought you were part of the cleaning staff.. (Yes.. we saw you out there....muhahahaha)

Seriously though... welcome to the kit.
    Clifford Brock

Gamer / Tinkers with MMO Kit
    Game: Claws&Paws

Comment

I wanted to chime in here, and 4.12.5 is packaging just fine with our project! Thankfully!

Comment

So - for the last two years I have been working on a project in unity3d. Sadly, the tech I was using is outdated now, and have been lurking in this thread since December of '14. Today I bought the MMO Starter pack, and will be transferring all of my Unity assets to UE4. Which is going to take a couple of months to do. Because.. there is a lot.
        I plan to rebuild the terrains by hand inside of UE, rather than try and export them and have to retexture anyway - plus, I feel the look will be better this way.

Just saying hi, and that's just what I'm up to. Looking forward to guilds
        Welcome

Comment

so - a few questions;

- are the quests, items, etc. store in the client, or the server side?
          - is there a diagram showing the data flow any where?
          - or a logic diagram?
          - and what will prevent someone from injecting their own stats into the local client or the remote db?
          - as i update the game; do i have to rebuild the package for the server as well?

I am trying to get a handle on the overall "how does this work", this way I can build my infrastructure accordingly.
          Last edited by pachewygames; 07-26-2016, 07:11 PM.

Comment

so - a few questions;

- is there a diagram showing the data flow any where?
            - or a logic diagram?
            - and what will prevent someone from injecting their own stats into the local client or the remote db?
            - as i update the game; do i have to rebuild the package for the server as well?

I am trying to get a handle on the overall "how does this work", this way I can build my infrastructure accordingly.
            From what i can gather the kit uses replication for stats which is authenticated by the server.

google ue4 replication
            Last edited by Kawto; 07-27-2016, 02:09 AM.

Comment

does [MENTION=228715]c[/MENTION]odespartan visit often? I am not seeing anything since june-ish...
              or are there others developing this plugin as well?

Comment

Code is Always around... Add him/her in Skype "CodeSpartan" and you can skype questions and get answers quickly

T.
                Clifford Brock

Gamer / Tinkers with MMO Kit
                Game: Claws&Paws

Comment

1.6 Release notes

The new build is live on the demo server and is available for purchase on Sellfy! Build notes:

Ported to Unreal Engine 4.12

Finally! I couldn't do it earlier because of the dedicated server bug that was fixed in 4.12.5.
                  You will need the new release of UE4 from GitHub to work with the updated kit.

Clan/guild mechanics

Players can now form clans and invite other players. Clan names are displayed next to the character name if you target someone.

Clan commands:
                  /gcreate <clan name>
                  /ginvite <character name>
                  /gdisband
                  /gkick <character name>
                  /gquit

Clan chat

/g <message> sends a message to all clan members

Last edited by CodeSpartan; 07-28-2016, 11:12 AM.
                  MMO Starter Kit
                  Dialogue Plugin
                  Voxel Plugin
                  Character Customization: Female

Comment

We already talked on Skype, but I'll repost my answers here for others

All of the info is stored on the game server while the character is in the world. When the character logs out, the info is saved to the MySQL database.

and what will prevent someone from injecting their own stats into the local client or the remote db?
                    Since the server is authoritative, the client can't hack it - all values that the hacker changes will only be changed locally. So for example if I hack my damage stat, I may get it to display as 9000 on my client, but on the dedicated server it'll still be 10, and damage calculations happen on the server.

Regular sql injection is not possible since the php scripts all use prepared statements.

as i update the game; do i have to rebuild the package for the server as well?
                    When you package the game in UE4, you get a new game folder. This folder must be used on both the server and the clients. For that purpose you can use the launcher that comes with MMO Kit, or use Steam if your game is Greenlit.

is there a diagram showing the data flow any where? or a logic diagram?
                    Nope, not yet. Maybe I'll come up with something later.
                    MMO Starter Kit
                    Dialogue Plugin
                    Voxel Plugin
                    Character Customization: Female

Comment

[MENTION=228715]c[/MENTION]odespartan - Thank you so much! And the 1.6 update; excellent!!

Comment

thank you sooo much CodeSpartan, been waiting very patiently for this update!
                        good work mate!
                        ++++

Comment

hi CodeSpartan have y read my message?

Comment

finalllY
                            Thank you much. I will try implementing OSX launcher and Client.
                            If anyone has experience with this please help out

Comment

how is the server architecture handled? is it just the built in multiplayer in ue4? I'm under the impression it cant handle many more then 64 players before the hardware gets beat to hell. Is this going to support an actual MMO population?

Comment

Working...
                              X